Official Dream Theater Thread

Tick

QUOTE (Tick @ Jul 15 2012, 09:09 AM)
I just saw on Facebook that Pags went to a Dream Theater show last night! ohmy.gif

common001.gif cheer.gif common001.gif

I am sure he had No trouble geting a seat laugh.gif They were giving away 12th row seats

Attendance was not too bad in Austin between half and 2/3.... but yeah, it's a problem... and you know it has to be somewhat dishearting to the band. Especially since they are a band that now is very solid based on the performance I saw, and from what Im hearing on other shows.

And as much as I think Portnoy was in the wrong (behavior wise) in his departure of the band, maybe he was right in one aspect...maybe the band did need a break, some time to recharge and come back in full force a few years down the road?

QUOTE (The Owl @ Jul 16 2012, 08:46 AM)
Attendance was not too bad in Austin between half and 2/3.... but yeah, it's a problem... and you know it has to be somewhat dishearting to the band.  Especially since they are a band that now is very solid based on the performance I saw, and from what Im hearing on other shows. 
  And as much as I think Portnoy was in the wrong (behavior wise) in his departure of the band, maybe he was right in one aspect...maybe the band did need a break, some time to recharge and come back in full force a few years down the road?

Attendance is a problem? Great news for me, I'd love to help and attend my first DT concert.

And I disagree, the band doesn't want to and doesn't need to take a break or to slow down. The people - listeners and fans - are the ones who need to keep up 1287.gif

Edited by Mr. IsNot

QUOTE (Gompers @ Apr 17 2012, 11:20 AM)
QUOTE (Gompers @ Apr 17 2012, 02:19 PM)
QUOTE (RodrigoAltaf @ Apr 17 2012, 01:27 PM)
My guess is that Dream Theater will record another album and do a full tour with Mangini, and then realize they need to get Mike Portnoy back. I, for one, hope it happens soon! Mangini may have a lot more tricks in his bag, but no drummer in this world has more charisma than Mike Portnoy.

no.gif

MP is over-rated, IMO.

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h113/stylazyn/gomps.jpg

Agreed. Not only that, but he's quite a douche.

My hope is Mangini will stay, and this most likely will be the case.

QUOTE (The Owl @ Jul 16 2012, 11:46 AM)
Attendance was not too bad in Austin between half and 2/3.... but yeah, it's a problem... and you know it has to be somewhat dishearting to the band. Especially since they are a band that now is very solid based on the performance I saw, and from what Im hearing on other shows.

A band like Dream Theater does not have the luxury of taking off a few years. They are not that wealthy they can squander the few years they have left to make money. Soon it will be over, any way you slice it.

QUOTE (Tick @ Jul 17 2012, 01:23 PM)
QUOTE (The Owl @ Jul 16 2012, 11:46 AM)
Attendance was not too bad in Austin between half and 2/3.... but yeah, it's a problem... and you know it has to be somewhat dishearting to the band.  Especially since they are a band that now is very solid based on the performance I saw, and from what Im hearing on other shows. 

A band like Dream Theater does not have the luxury of taking off a few years. They are not that wealthy they can squander the few years they have left to make money. Soon it will be over, any way you slice it.

Really? I would think that consistanly releasing a new album and touring every two years for the last two decades would leave put them in a comfortable financial situation. Not enough to reitre by any means, but the band has been working steady and have had some good success over the last 20 years, there's just no way their finances can be that bad.

The idea of them taking a few years off might not be a bad one. Every band that's been around for a long time does it at some point. Maybe if they did that and let the fans miss them a little, when they come back around there will be more interest. It's worked in the past before when a bands popularity dies down, so why not try it?

Edited by Tick

QUOTE (nappy2112 @ Jul 17 2012, 05:16 PM)
I could see them taking a year or so off but not 5 wacko.gif .

Maybe then they could come up with something new instead of making the same album over and over. wink.gif

Unfair. Don't think that's the case at all. The new album is stellar, imo.

QUOTE (Tick @ Jul 17 2012, 05:23 PM)
QUOTE (nappy2112 @ Jul 17 2012, 05:16 PM)
I could see them taking a year or so off  but not 5  wacko.gif .

Maybe then they could come up with something new instead of making the same album over and over.  wink.gif

Unfair. Don't think that's the case at all. The new album is stellar, imo.

I didn't say it was bad , I just think they can be way more creative than that.

I enjoyed Outcry and Breaking All Illusions.

The rest was just meh.

http://i548.photobucket.com/albums/ii324/jawkjaw/double%20s%20pro/th_avatar_191_1340125019.gif

QUOTE (Tick @ Jul 18 2012, 06:56 AM)
http://i548.photobucket.com/albums/ii324/jawkjaw/double%20s%20pro/th_avatar_191_1340125019.gif

Was that an excerpt of his instructional dvd about his "shrink and grow"?? lmao

Yeah, the cat effed up hardcore by stiffing his mates. I'll agree wholeheartedly on that. Only a huuuuuuuge ego that's very sick of his band and needs a break does that kinda shit. I've played in bands only two years where i wanted to take off the singer's head and piss down his neck before I threw him on the bonfire later. 25 years? that's a long long long time, no matter how much money you get.

QUOTE (Mr. IsNot @ Jul 17 2012, 12:51 PM)
QUOTE (Gompers @ Apr 17 2012, 11:20 AM)
QUOTE (Gompers @ Apr 17 2012, 02:19 PM)
QUOTE (RodrigoAltaf @ Apr 17 2012, 01:27 PM)
My guess is that Dream Theater will record another album and do a full tour with Mangini, and then realize they need to get Mike Portnoy back. I, for one, hope it happens soon! Mangini may have a lot more tricks in his bag, but no drummer in this world has more charisma than Mike Portnoy.

no.gif

MP is over-rated, IMO.

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h113/stylazyn/gomps.jpg

Agreed. Not only that, but he's quite a douche.

My hope is Mangini will stay, and this most likely will be the case.

How many times have you met Portnoy ? I am gonna say Never because that is not the case. Hate him or the music all you want but he is one of , if not The most fan friendly musician you will ever meet .