Official Dream Theater Thread

Tick

QUOTE (Oracle @ Sep 25 2011, 02:36 AM)
The Great Debate? Now why would they include that? I can't stand that song; it just sounds so preachy that I can't imagine hearing it live.

it's anything but preachy -- it does a pretty good job of representing both sides (hence the great "debate" as the title). that being said, I'm not a fan of the lyrics at all -- but that doesn't get in the way of the fact that it's one of the most solid things they've ever done musically. it has one of Portnoy's most tasteful drum parts, which probably sounds even better under Mangini's hands, and some of James' strongest singing from the time period as well.

QUOTE (Oracle @ Sep 25 2011, 02:36 AM)
The Great Debate? Now why would they include that? I can't stand that song; it just sounds so preachy that I can't imagine hearing it live.

I have never been a big fan of this song. It misses the mark for me. Perhaps it would work live?

They are not doing what is IMO the best song on the new album ,Lost Not Forgotten , but we get a Drum solo and 2 acoustic songs ? I have no problem with acoustic songs, but not at a d.t. show that is not "An Evening With"

Just got word from my guitarist that we'll be reviewing the new CD for a local rock magazine. They already sent him the song files via email. He may get to do an interview, but at a minimum he's been promised backstage passes. We'll see...

QUOTE (metaldad @ Sep 26 2011, 09:23 AM)
They are not doing what is IMO the best song on the new album ,Lost Not Forgotten , but we get a Drum solo and 2 acoustic songs ? I have no problem with acoustic songs, but not at a d.t. show that is not "An Evening With"

The drum solo is what bothers me most personally. This is not the 70's/80's and there is no need to take up precious time. I have said for years now its time for Neil to stop with his nonsense solo. Its so worn out its ridiculous.

Oh well.

QUOTE (tick @ Sep 26 2011, 09:22 AM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ Sep 26 2011, 09:23 AM)

The drum solo is what bothers me most personally. This is not the 70's/80's and there is no need to take up precious time. I have said for years now its time for Neil to stop with his nonsense solo. Its so worn out its ridiculous.

Oh well.

I'm a drummer and I even agree. Solos are passe. It's a time to go take a pee and get a beer for most people anyway...

I'm sure Lost Not Forgotten will appear in the rotation eventually. As it is, they're already doing more new songs than they usually do per show.

As for the acoustic songs, it's a good idea, IMO, especially since most of the songs that precede it in the setlist are on the heavier side. It's not like they're playing a whole acoustic set, just a couple short soft things to show off their more vulnerable side, something that you will get with any group from your local bar band to the Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra. I am more of a fan of the Silent Man/Beneath the Surface combo than the second night's combo (Wait For Sleep/Far From Heaven), however.

It looks like they switched it up from the first night and brought in BAI

Yes, but this was more or less to be expected. Now that Mangini is broken in and comfortable with the band and material, they can start rotating songs again. I think it was a little stupid of them to break up Far From Heaven and Breaking All Illusions, though (but they seem to have a history of splitting up connected songs like that -- have they ever played Wait for Sleep and Learning to Live back to back? how about Vacant and Stream of Consciousness?) Like I said earlier, I'm a bigger fan of the guitar-based ballads than the piano-based ones (despite being a pianist myself O_o). I hope I get Beneath the Surface at my show.

----

As for the drum solo, I feel like it's a one-tour thing because they're proud and want to show off their new drummer. If you just got Mike f***ing Mangini to join your band, you would want to include a drum solo every night too. I'll admit I haven't checked out any of his solos from this tour yet, but I'm willing to bet that they're far more interesting musically, technically and rhythmically than anything Portnoy (or a large number of other drummers) is capable of coming up with.

Edited by fledgehog

QUOTE (The Owl @ Sep 26 2011, 12:02 PM)
I sadly won't be going to see DT this tour... from the moment tickets went on sale there was nothing below 100 buck for Bass Concert Hall in Austin...

I love the band, but I can't swing a $100 ticket.

Ouch. Try winning tix at your local radio station maybe??

Here's a question I meant to ask for years...

Jordan Rudess: what happened to his fuucking hair??? ohmy.gif

In the Six Degrees album booklet he has LOADS of hair and before that he had even more. Just look at him on the Live in New York DVD recorded in 2000, he looks like a really dirty, pipe smoking little hippy!

Then very weirdly after millions of pics of the band in previous album booklets, there's no picture of the band AT ALL for the next few albums! Then suddenly in other pictures Jordan turns up balder than a parboiled bald eagle that died of male pattern baldness!

Oh God they tried hide his bald secret!!

I declare that Jordan Rudess is the Andre Agassi of pretentious prog metal!!

A more pertinent question is, when is he gonna get rid of that very silly white beard?? laugh.gif

QUOTE (greg2112 @ Sep 26 2011, 05:42 PM)
Wish there were more new songs in the setlist.

are you serious? They play 5 out of the 8 songs on the new album per night, and cumulatively they've already played all of them except for Lost Not Forgotten. in terms of time, new songs make up close to 50% of the setlist...and you still think that's not enough? Maybe if they were still doing Evening With shows they could afford to play the entire album nightly, but they have to appease amateur fans and people who are seeing their first show this tour as well.

QUOTE (fledgehog @ Sep 26 2011, 04:47 PM)
QUOTE (greg2112 @ Sep 26 2011, 05:42 PM)
Wish there were more new songs in the setlist.

are you serious? They play 5 out of the 8 songs on the new album per night, and cumulatively they've already played all of them except for Lost Not Forgotten. in terms of time, new songs make up close to 50% of the setlist...and you still think that's not enough? Maybe if they were still doing Evening With shows they could afford to play the entire album nightly, but they have to appease amateur fans and people who are seeing their first show this tour as well.

Yeah. Get your point, but I think there are so many amazing songs on the new album I wouldnt mind another couple, its that good. Point taken on the show not being "An Evening With"

On another note, Ill settle for the "2nd setlist" weve seen-- much rather have Breaking all Illusions" than" Outcry"

Edited by greg2112

QUOTE (treeduck @ Sep 26 2011, 11:58 AM)

In the Six Degrees album booklet he has LOADS of hair and before that he had even more. Just look at him on the Live in New York DVD recorded in 2000, he looks like a really dirty, pipe smoking little hippy!

Then very weirdly after millions of pics of the band in previous album booklets, there's no picture of the band AT ALL for the next few albums! Then suddenly in other pictures Jordan turns up balder than a parboiled bald eagle that died of male pattern baldness!

A more pertinent question is, when is he gonna get rid of that very silly white beard?? laugh.gif

I'm surprised the band doesn't cover "I Think I'm Going Bald" and dedicate it to Jordan and James!

QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Sep 26 2011, 08:30 PM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Sep 26 2011, 11:58 AM)

A more pertinent question is, when is he gonna get rid of that very silly white beard??  laugh.gif

I'm surprised the band doesn't cover "I Think I'm Going Bald" and dedicate it to Jordan and James!

z7shysterical.gif