Official Dream Theater Thread

Tick

HOLY SHIT....... MIKE PORTNOY QUOTED ME!!!!!!!!!

Commenting on his involvement with the Akerfeldt/ Wilson Storm corrosion project

http://www.mikeportnoy.com/forum/fb.ashx?m=2579666

I Said:

Pretty sure it will be epic...... and a must buy for 2011!

As far a Portnoy's involvement is, up in the air....... I would like to hear a yea or ney from him.... The album will be epic with or without Portnoy... Hell too many gods might be a bad thing, just look at the ancient greek religion...... two gods are enough.

Portnoy Replied:

Well unless something changes and they invite me later on, I'm currently not involved with this....

I'm just way too busy and wrapped up in A7X-land for a while anyways.....

Regardless, I'd still love to work with these guys (hopefully in a metal vein) someday...so time will tell....

So the news is Mike is not involved, BUT HE FRIGGIN QUOTED ME! Awesome, and thanks mike (if the off chance you see this post as well)

QUOTE (The Owl @ Aug 28 2010, 11:28 PM)

So the news is Mike is not involved, BUT HE FRIGGIN QUOTED ME! Awesome, and thanks mike (if the off chance you see this post as well)

So, how does the credit on something like that work, because you clearly quoted me.

QUOTE (The Owl @ Aug 28 2010, 09:28 PM)

Commenting on his involvement with the Akerfeldt/ Wilson Storm corrosion project

http://www.mikeportnoy.com/forum/fb.ashx?m=2579666

I Said:

Pretty sure it will be epic...... and a must buy for 2011!

As far a Portnoy's involvement is, up in the air....... I would like to hear a yea or ney from him.... The album will be epic with or without Portnoy... Hell too many gods might be a bad thing, just look at the ancient greek religion...... two gods are enough.

Portnoy Replied:

Well unless something changes and they invite me later on, I'm currently not involved with this....
I'm just way too busy and wrapped up in A7X-land for a while anyways.....

Regardless, I'd still love to work with these guys (hopefully in a metal vein) someday...so time will tell....

I thought Portnoy already committed to the project with Steven and Mikael.

What a bummer.

I wouldn't call these guys "gods." They are simply incredible mortal human artists.

huh.gif sad.gif fists crying.gif trink38.gif rage.gif banghead.gif waffen093.gif In that order

Never got to see DT live. I'm so upset. It will never be the same without MP.

If he ends up joining A7X for good. I'm gonna be really pissed...and I was gonna go see them to see Portnoy play for the first time. Not no more.

QUOTE (KenJennings @ Sep 9 2010, 02:40 AM)
I'm sticking with Dream Theater. Portnoy can go and do whatever he wants with himself... He'll find out really quick that he's making a huge mistake. Hopefully when he comes sniveling back to the rest of the band, they forgive him. I may not.

DT will still way outsell anything Portnoy does on the side.

I'm not saying money is the deciding factor (perhaps Portnoy will be more satisfied creating different music with a less successful band), but after he spends some time on the D-List, he may go "sniveling back" to the bigger pond of Dream Theater.

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Sep 9 2010, 09:11 AM)
I'm sticking with Dream Theater. Portnoy can go and do whatever he wants with himself... He'll find out really quick that he's making a huge mistake. Hopefully when he comes sniveling back to the rest of the band, they forgive him. I may not.

DT will still way outsell anything Portnoy does on the side.

I'm not saying money is the deciding factor (perhaps Portnoy will be more satisfied creating different music with a less successful band), but after he spends some time on the D-List, he may go "sniveling back" to the bigger pond of Dream Theater.

I think the issue will be creative liberty.

I can't help but feel that Dream Theater was MP's best creative outlet, and that is allowed him a virtually endless canvas to paint on. With any other band, he's gonna have to cramp his style- and MP doesn't seem like the kind of guy willing to do that for very long.

I don't expect this will last. I'd bet DT only releases one album without MP, then he's back.

QUOTE (The Owl @ Sep 20 2010, 07:28 PM)
Rich Wilson, the author of the "Lifting Shadows" DT biography has interviewed the members of Dream Theater and will be published as the cover story of the next issue of Classic Rock Presents Prog.

http://twitter.com/liftingshadows

Thanks for the info Owl. trink39.gif

I'd say he is going to be missed more by remaining members than he will miss DT, but I'd doubt a Mikeless DT will last longer than one album/tour.

QUOTE (the masked drummer @ Sep 21 2010, 11:36 AM)

I'd say he is going to be missed more by remaining members than he will miss DT, but I'd doubt a Mikeless DT will last longer than one album/tour.

I have to agree, MD. I believe the curiosity factor will carry them for an album and a tour, but unless they record another I&W or SFAM, they will have to downsize the venue size they currently play now in the future.

Its rare that a drummer is the charisma in a band but that is what Mike is to DT. He is the straw that stirs the drink and will be a huge loss long term.

QUOTE (the masked drummer @ Sep 21 2010, 10:36 AM)

I agree. Portnoy will be back after he takes his break once his tour with A7X is done. I think, at least for one album, John can take over all the song writting duties and maybe let some of Myung's ideas in. He hasn't had any writting credits with them in forever so you would think he's gotta have some stuff ready to go.

QUOTE (J2112YYZ @ Sep 21 2010, 11:45 AM)
QUOTE (the masked drummer @ Sep 21 2010, 10:36 AM)

I agree. Portnoy will be back after he takes his break once his tour with A7X is done. I think, at least for one album, John can take over all the song writting duties and maybe let some of Myung's ideas in. He hasn't had any writting credits with them in forever so you would think he's gotta have some stuff ready to go.

True, i also think it is time for James to write as well

QUOTE (tick @ Sep 21 2010, 10:42 AM)
QUOTE (the masked drummer @ Sep 21 2010, 11:36 AM)

I have to agree, MD. I believe the curiosity factor will carry them for an album and a tour, but unless they record another I&W or SFAM, they will have to downsize the venue size they currently play now in the future.

Its rare that a drummer is the charisma in a band but that is what Mike is to DT. He is the straw that stirs the drink and will be a huge loss long term.

Thanks, Tick. And I bet the band and Mike will appreciate each other a whole lot more when he makes his triumphant return. This is like the single greatest thing DT related I've been excited about in a while!

It's almost like an exercise in futility, but this is the way it has to be, so...

What if the next DT album does better than ever? Then we're screwed and may never get Mikey back. (I'd doubt that scenerio very seriously, but had to throw it in there...)

Prodical Son, eh?!?!? laugh.gif

Come-backs are always fun!!!!!

new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

I am still heartbroken over the loss of a superb sound! - - I knew somethin' was nervewrackin' about MP's hyper-activities - - somethin' just had to give . . .

What a loss! sad.gif

Hare biggrin.gif

I am actually really looking forward to the new album...maybe without Portnoy, they will change their direction to something more original than Black Clouds and Silver Linings (which I like but its no where near as good as Scenes or Octavarium.)

I have a feeling if he was invlolved with the next album, it would be identical to the last.

QUOTE (The Owl @ Sep 28 2010, 08:01 PM)
Just picked up the new James LaBrie solo album......Cannot wait to spin this.

Why does it almost seem like he is a backing vocalist on his own album? That was my impression from the two new songs I heard. I hate that growling crap. I love James as a vocalist and don't like hearing his band mate take such a spotlight on his solo album.