Official Dream Theater Thread

Tick

QUOTE (RodrigoAltaf @ Nov 11 2010, 01:06 PM)
QUOTE (tangy @ Nov 11 2010, 12:29 PM)
http://www.mikeportnoy.com/forum/tm.aspx?h...mpage=3#2610987

page three has the MP interview posted by the guy who runs the forum.

Has any of you guys read the interview? Mike says there's one band member who "wouldn't even sit in the same room as the rest of the band; we'd see him only on stage or at meet and greet ocasions with the fans"...who would this be? The guys in the forum suggest it might be John Myung.

him or LaBrie ???

QUOTE (tangy @ Nov 11 2010, 01:36 PM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ Nov 11 2010, 01:21 PM)
QUOTE (tangy @ Nov 11 2010, 01:15 PM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ Nov 11 2010, 01:13 PM)
I checked the store today and the mag had Yes on the cover. When does the D.T. cover hit the u.s. ?

I think its out now??

Nope. Yes is on the cover

i thought i read in that thread someone had bought one here in the states but i was wrong. my bad.

doh.gif

laugh.gif No prob . I am thinking in dec for some reason

QUOTE (metaldad @ Nov 11 2010, 01:38 PM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ Nov 11 2010, 01:21 PM)
QUOTE (tangy @ Nov 11 2010, 01:15 PM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ Nov 11 2010, 01:13 PM)
I checked the store today and the mag had Yes on the cover. When does the D.T. cover hit the u.s. ?

I think its out now??

Nope. Yes is on the cover

i thought i read in that thread someone had bought one here in the states but i was wrong. my bad.

doh.gif

laugh.gif No prob . I am thinking in dec for some reason

trink39.gif

Has any of you guys read the interview? Mike says there's one band member who "wouldn't even sit in the same room as the rest of the band; we'd see him only on stage or at meet and greet ocasions with the fans"...who would this be? The guys in the forum suggest it might be John Myung.

I think it's worth mentioning that if everyone sat on their asses and just practiced their instrument and did nothing else for the band (like JM), that Dream Theater would never have become what they are. Even during the early days, Myung avoided the fans like the plague. Obsessive or not, MP busted his ass to the bone for that band, and they are switched into glide only because of his hard work and endless dedication. At this point they just have to communicate with their fans and keep touring. Hopefully when MP returns, they will have a new appreciation for him and he will appreciate the work they did in his stead.

Most importantly, I hope they reunite after one album/tour...

him or LaBrie ???

I don't know if you ever met myung before, but the guy can barely make eye contact with someone let alone talk. I thought they were talking about him. Of course, as far as the band goes, lead singers are lead singers. Maybe it is JL... ? ohmy.gif

QUOTE (tick @ Nov 11 2010, 12:01 PM)
Dream Theater is looking at an up an coming young drummer who is still coming of age.
http://www.youtube.com/user/JonahRocksOffi.../53/TLSeLbwrNo4

Good to see they're making progress on the auditions wink.gif

QUOTE (the masked drummer @ Nov 11 2010, 06:26 PM)

him or LaBrie ???

I don't know if you ever met myung before, but the guy can barely make eye contact with someone let alone talk. I thought they were talking about him. Of course, as far as the band goes, lead singers are lead singers. Maybe it is JL... ? ohmy.gif

Weather or not a band member is friendly towards their fans has never been an issue with me. I've never understood why it's such a huge thing with some people. As long as the band gives you good music and live performances that you enjoy they don't owe their fans anything else as far as i'm conserned.

I'm not surprised Myung is the shyest of all of them. His stage demeanor gives off that vibe. If he's comfortable like that then just let him be.

If DT is gonna continue the tradition of a new album every two years they should be naming a new drummer soon you would think.

Edited by J2112YYZ

QUOTE (jesse2112 @ Nov 18 2010, 05:28 AM)
Has anyone here listened to OSI?

Huge OSI fan! I love 'em!! Their latest album "Blood" was a masterpiece. Kevin Moore is a genius in my book (sorry mike wink.gif ). And I think Gavin Harisson is better suited for them.

QUOTE (Soni @ Nov 18 2010, 12:23 PM)

And I think Gavin Harisson is better suited for them.

why?

QUOTE (tick @ Nov 18 2010, 11:40 AM)

why?

I don't see Gavin as having the heavy-hitting they need. My bet is still on Mike Mangini or possibly Virgil Donati. Could Gavin pull it off? Surely could, but not the right fit in my humble opinion. no.gif

QUOTE (the masked drummer @ Nov 18 2010, 01:01 PM)

why?

I don't see Gavin as having the heavy-hitting they need. My bet is still on Mike Mangini or possibly Virgil Donati. Could Gavin pull it off? Surely could, but not the right fit in my humble opinion. no.gif

Were talking about OSI at the moment. Just wanted to know if you were clear on that? atickhum.gif

QUOTE (tick @ Nov 18 2010, 09:47 PM)
QUOTE (the masked drummer @ Nov 18 2010, 01:01 PM)

why?

Were talking about OSI at the moment. Just wanted to know if you were clear on that? atickhum.gif

I just think he's better on the more ambiant tracks, more subtle.

For some reason I couldn't get into "Blood" like I did "OSI" and "Free." Guess I'll go back and give it another spin. And I agree, Harrison is more the OSI style than Mike, although Mike did lay down one of my favorite grooves of all time: The New Math 1022.gif

QUOTE (the masked drummer @ Nov 18 2010, 12:01 PM)

My bet is still on Mike Mangini or possibly Virgil Donati.

My money is on Mike. James has said they want someone that has the tools and the look. Virgil does not have the look the last time i saw him laugh.gif

Charlie Zeleny posted on his Facebook a note about the performance Youtube videos of DT songs today. A few posters over at DTF think this might be a hint that he's been selected as the new drummer. He auditioned and is probably the closest guy to DT in terms of location. If he's the finally selection, more power to him but I think Mangini or Donati would have been better selections.

You need a monster to replace Portnoy on drums and Donati would have more than fit the bill.