Guitar riffs battle: Page vs. Lifeson?

Texas King

Guitar riffs battle: Page vs. Lifeson?  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Guitar riffs battle: Page vs. Lifeson?

I'm going to vote Page in this one, but for one specific reason. When you're listening to a riff in a Rush song, it could have been written by Alex or Geddy. In fact, I'd estimate that Geddy was more the riff guy and Alex was the chord guy, especially all those beautiful and inventive arpeggios.

The more I think about it, I might have voted for Page anyway.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 1-0-0-1-0-0-1 said:

Disingenuous!  :bitchslap:

Just now, treeduck said:

I can always change it later when I see how the scoring had progressed. :wink:

Hmmm...

Still disingenuous! You're on record for being a flip-flopper. :doh:

• Haha 2

Page is one of those guys where the quantity of riffs never was at the sacrifice of their quality. Lifeson has a lot of great ones, but he’s just as much in the Townsend school of playing, which is less riffy. In other words, he just doesn’t have quite as many as Page, but he makes up for it in other ways.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

Page is one of those guys where the quantity of riffs never was at the sacrifice of their quality. Lifeson has a lot of great ones, but he’s just as much in the Townsend school of playing, which is less riffy. In other words, he just doesn’t have quite as many as Page, but he makes up for it in other ways.

Arpeggios.  That's Alex's wheelhouse

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, treeduck said:

What about if you put him against Iommi, Blackmore and May?

That would indeed be a 'clash of the titans'!!

Having said that, as much as I really like Queen, and May as a guitarist, I didn't idolise him the way I did Page, Iommi and Blackmore. Those three are guitar gods in my eyes.

• Like 2

I mean.....Jimmy's got the riffs.  Solid heavy blues based goodness.

Al though - his imagination - that chaotic melodic atmospheric stuff, and the way he's adapted his playing across the different eras and sounds. 

They are different players, each epic in their own space.

• Like 3

Page stole from the great blues musicians.

Lifeson ripped off the Looney Tunes.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 3/24/2024 at 8:20 PM, Entre_Perpetuo said:

Well said.  My thoughts exactly.

• Like 1

Lifeson by a country mile.......yes, Page has an undoubted influence, but I just don't idolise him the way others do.

23 hours ago, Fridge said:

Lifeson by a country mile.......yes, Page has an undoubted influence, but I just don't idolise him the way others do.

What about Johnny Red?

• Haha 1

On 3/24/2024 at 8:49 PM, 1-0-0-1-0-0-1 said:

I'm going to vote Page in this one, but for one specific reason. When you're listening to a riff in a Rush song, it could have been written by Alex or Geddy. In fact, I'd estimate that Geddy was more the riff guy and Alex was the chord guy, especially all those beautiful and inventive arpeggios.

The more I think about it, I might have voted for Page anyway.

That's an important point actually......particularly in the early albums Geddy will have written a fair percentage of guitar lines....because he was such a monster on the bass, he must be at least a competent guitarist, and probably a pretty good one.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Fridge said:

That's an important point actually......particularly in the early albums Geddy will have written a fair percentage of guitar lines....because he was such a monster on the bass, he must be at least a competent guitarist, and probably a pretty good one.

He did a few power chords on Xanadu at least!

• Like 2