Happy 80th Birthday to this guy

But....but....he sold his soul to the Devil for immortality!    :wagfinger:

495778412_jimmyredeyes.jpg.48e8513f71f76

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, BastillePark said:

Should I/we know who that is based on that picture?

In the great scheme of things (you know, the "real world,"), probably no.  But in the Niche World of People Who Love a Classic Rock Act, knowing Jimmy Page is like recognizing George Washington or something.

Hope you had a good birthday, Pagey!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, BastillePark said:

If you've seen their concert film, The Song Remains The Same, you know that Jimmy Page has mystical powers!   

9efde459c684a8c03a41d48444123948.gif

Edited by Principled Man
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, BastillePark said:

Who else would be pictured with a Les Paul and a bow.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, grep said:

Who else would be pictured with a Les Paul and a bow.

I'm not familiar with Jimmy Page or anyone else "playing" a guitar with a bow and had no idea what type of guitar he played. Not that big of a Led Zeppelin fan which is probably heresy in the rock fan area (Rush's "Heresy" is a better song than most Led Zep songs, imo).

28 minutes ago, BastillePark said:

I'm not familiar with Jimmy Page or anyone else "playing" a guitar with a bow and had no idea what type of guitar he played. Not that big of a Led Zeppelin fan which is probably heresy in the rock fan area (Rush's "Heresy" is a better song than most Led Zep songs, imo).

:blink:

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, BastillePark said:

The shot of Jimmy Page with red, glowing eyes was from the band's concert film, The Song Remains the Same

Throughout the film, we get some trippy scenes involving the band members.  It was especially trippy when you were stoned!   :wink:

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Principled Man said:

The shot of Jimmy Page with red, glowing eyes was from the band's concert film, The Song Remains the Same

Throughout the film, we get some trippy scenes involving the band members.  It was especially trippy when you were stoned!   :wink:

You know, I've tried sitting. never been able to make through the film in one sitting.  I love the Mighty Zep's studio work, but live...not so much.  And those fantasy vignettes aren't my bag either.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, goose said:

I love the Mighty Zep's studio work, but live...not so much.  

Same here.  When I do listen to Led Zeppelin, I play the studio albums.    

Their live performances were powerful, but they lacked the nuances of the studio versions. 

Also, they were at times sloppy on stage, often because they were so drugged up.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Principled Man said:

Their live performances were powerful, but they lacked the nuances of the studio versions. 

Also, they were at times sloppy on stage, often because they were so drugged up.

I've actually always sort of loved that about their shows -- there's high variability. I've got, like, 72 versions of "Dazed and Confused" because it was rarely ever the same.

As much as I love Rush live, many of their shows could have been mimed to a prerecorded track -- the live song times are often within seconds of the album track time. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Nova Carmina said:

I've actually always sort of loved that about their shows -- there's high variability. I've got, like, 72 versions of "Dazed and Confused" because it was rarely ever the same.

As much as I love Rush live, many of their shows could have been mimed to a prerecorded track -- the live song times are often within seconds of the album track time. 

:yes: The bands are polar opposites in that sense.

• Like 2

On 1/10/2024 at 8:19 PM, BastillePark said:

It's just an opinion of a 100% subjective stance. 

I'll settle this once and for all for both of you -- you're both wrong.

Ramble on.

Hippy Burfdey JP!

• Haha 1

On 1/10/2024 at 10:31 PM, goose said:

You know, I've tried sitting. never been able to make through the film in one sitting.  I love the Mighty Zep's studio work, but live...not so much.  And those fantasy vignettes aren't my bag either.

TSRTS  has my favorite versions of Stairway (page's extended solo is beyond awesome) and Whole Lotta Love 

• Like 1

On 1/10/2024 at 11:20 PM, Principled Man said:

Page was incredibly sloppy live.  Iommi was a big drug user in the 70s.   Van Halen was a big drinker in 80s and 90s.  They don't seem to have gotten their fingers caught in the strings as much as Page did.  Maybe in hindsight he was best suited to the magic of the studio.

• Like 1

On 1/11/2024 at 6:52 PM, Nova Carmina said:

There was a long running Zeppelin fanzine created by Dave Lewis (I think it now exists as a website) called 'Tight but Loose' which was a phrase used to describe Zeppelin live - a tight rhythm section allowing lots of improvisation by the front men. One of the reasons why I have over a hundred live Zeppelin bootleg shows is that no two performances were really close to being the same. I loved the longer improvised set pieces , but I know some of my mates would have slagged me and said that they were just boring, over indulgent excesses! Ya can't please everyone!

I would also say that the more consistently great performances occurred during the tours prior to 1975. By '75 Jimmy was well in the grip of various addictions and this showed in his performances on some of the 1975 and 1977 gigs. However for all the 'lows' of these tours, there were some great nights like Seattle & London in '75 and L.A. in '77.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Rick N. Backer said:

Page was incredibly sloppy live.  Iommi was a big drug user in the 70s.   Van Halen was a big drinker in 80s and 90s.  They don't seem to have gotten their fingers caught in the strings as much as Page did.  Maybe in hindsight he was best suited to the magic of the studio.

At times yes (75 & 77 tours) but at times just simply incredible.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, zepphead said:

At times yes (75 & 77 tours) but at times just simply incredible.

Back then, with all the drug use and abuse, every band’s live performances were crapshoots.  Audiences could get a magical show or a shit show.  When I think back to all the shows I saw back then, I consider myself very lucky.  No shit shows that I can remember.  

• Like 2