Worst beer...

ozzy85

Have we ever done a worst beer thread?

I have a couple of nominations to start with. First is Steel Reserve. Probably the only beer I've known that smells like you can light it on fire. Kinda also reminds me of bad port wine. But, hey, it's hella cheap. What can you expect?

My dislike of German beer started with Steinlager. I bought a big bottle once to take to a barbecue.  It was so skunky it smelled like someone let the air out of an old car tire. I ended up going back to the store for something else.

What's yours?

50 minutes ago, goose said:

Old English 800, Schlitz Malt Liquor, Mickey's wide mouth.  

My first thought was any malt liquor.  Disgusting. Imagine thinking you need a 40oz bottle of that shit. :puke:

Any of the cheap American macrobrews would qualify, like Miller, Budweiser, Coors, Busch, and any light beer...they all use cheap grains, including corn or rice (Bud) -- grains which should never be used to brew beer.

Michelob, which is marketed as a highbrow beer, is really gross. The one macrobrew that I can stomach while held at gunpoint is Pabst Blue Ribbon.

• Like 1

My husband's friends used to buy this in the 80's in the grocery store.  It was really a thing for awhile.  It was about as good as you can imagine!  :eh:  After awhile, they would say, "We'll bring beer!"  and it was like, no, we got it. :wink:    It didn't taste horrible, it just didn't really taste like anything!  And I think it was 3.2 beer, Colorado grocery stores at the time. All you can say is that it was cheap.  I'm also not real big on very hoppy brews, but that's just me.

1MUGgw4l.png

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

I can still remember the hideous taste of the beer that kept a roof over my head when I was growing up.  My father worked at the original Wiedemann Brewery in Newport, KY, so we couldn't have anything but Wiedemann products in the house. 

Horrible.  A nasty bite, really hoppy.....:puke:  

11913626.jpeg?t=1NO8gc

• Like 2

6 hours ago, blueschica said:

My husband's friends used to buy this in the 80's in the grocery store.  It was really a thing for awhile.  It was about as good as you can imagine!  :eh:  After awhile, they would say, "We'll bring beer!"  and it was like, no, we got it. :wink:    It didn't taste horrible, it just didn't really taste like anything!  And I think it was 3.2 beer, Colorado grocery stores at the time. All you can say is that it was cheap.  I'm also not real big on very hoppy brews, but that's just me.

1MUGgw4l.png

Ah, the Age of Generics!

We used to get this in stubby bottles, and each cap had a rebus puzzle on it.  I'm pretty sure the beer was whatever was rinsed out of a Lucky Lager vat during cleaning!

• Haha 1

53 minutes ago, Principled Man said:

I can still remember the hideous taste of the beer that kept a roof over my head when I was growing up.  My father worked at the original Wiedemann Brewery in Newport, KY, so we couldn't have anything but Wiedemann products in the house. 

Horrible.  A nasty bite, really hoppy.....:puke:  

11913626.jpeg?t=1NO8gc

Bohemian style!  I love that "it's registered pure"!

Edited by goose

11 minutes ago, goose said:

Bohemian style!  I love that "it's registered pure"!

And that's how it came to pass, that on the second-to-last day of the job, the convict crew that tarred the factory roof in the spring of '49 wound up sitting in a row
at 10:00 in the morning, drinking icy-cold, Bohemia-style beer, courtesy of the hardest screw that ever walked a turn at Shawshank State Prison.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, blueschica said:

1MUGgw4l.png

I remember that stuff! I also spent a lot of time drinking Olde English 800 (in fact, "Old English 800s" was the name of a teachers' softball team I played on!), and I don't remember hating it, but we drank it because it was cheap, and maybe I just didn't know the difference yet. For the same reason I drank a lot of something called "Arctic Bay" that was like $4.99 for a case (in 1992); we knew that tasted awful, but beggars can't be choosers.

It's not  really a candidate for "worst beer," but a beer that I can't drink is Heineken. Tastes like blowing up a balloon.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, ozzy85 said:

Have we ever done a worst beer thread?

I have a couple of nominations to start with. First is Steel Reserve. Probably the only beer I've known that smells like you can light it on fire. Kinda also reminds me of bad port wine. But, hey, it's hella cheap. What can you expect?

My dislike of German beer started with Steinlager. I bought a big bottle once to take to a barbecue.  It was so skunky it smelled like someone let the air out of an old car tire. I ended up going back to the store for something else.

What's yours?

Steinlager sounds German but is brewed in New Zealand.

• Like 1

Special Brew – JO KELLYS

In the UK, the beer of choice for the out and out winos (so i'm told!) was always Carlsberg Special Brew.

Rocking in at an impressive 9% it was pure rocket-fuel. Taste wise, it had a sickly sweet, almost 'syrupy' feel to it. Totally foul.

I am led to believe that these days, due to the 'nanny state' banging on about responsible drinking etc. it has been watered down to 7.5%. probably still foul!

Carlsberg Beer Special Brew A Very Strong Lager HubPages, 48% OFF

• Like 2

16 hours ago, goose said:

Ah, the Age of Generics!

We used to get this in stubby bottles, and each cap had a rebus puzzle on it.  I'm pretty sure the beer was whatever was rinsed out of a Lucky Lager vat during cleaning!

I remember Lucky Lager and their puzzle inside the cap! The first beer I ever had was Ranier, this was next. Bonfire beer. Cheap by the half case.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, grep said:

Bud Wei  Serrrr

Pretty bad. Its just........ really watery rice adjunct beer. I actually like Miller, which is a corn adjunct. Been drinking Icehouse since it came out in the early 90s. It's my cheap beer.

15 hours ago, Nova Carmina said:

I remember that stuff! I also spent a lot of time drinking Olde English 800 (in fact, "Old English 800s" was the name of a teachers' softball team I played on!), and I don't remember hating it, but we drank it because it was cheap, and maybe I just didn't know the difference yet. For the same reason I drank a lot of something called "Arctic Bay" that was like $4.99 for a case (in 1992); we knew that tasted awful, but beggars can't be choosers.

It's not  really a candidate for "worst beer," but a beer that I can't drink is Heineken. Tastes like blowing up a balloon.

We had Arctic Bay around the same time here. It's what my roommate drank. Good description of Heineken. 

• Like 1

If I were to name one worst beer it's bud light. I found the controversy about it quite funny. I see more bud light cans littering the backroads than anything else.

Pretty sure we did this thread years ago and I defended the virtues of Genesee cream ale! Lol.

What about chafer aka schaefer?

Milwaukee beast?

On 11/19/2023 at 10:19 PM, 1-0-0-1-0-0-1 said:

My first thought was any malt liquor.  Disgusting. Imagine thinking you need a 40oz bottle of that shit. :puke:

The torpedo! High school had a group guys that called themselves the Olde English Honor Society.  They did not study literature. 

• Haha 1