Mike Portnoy Rejoins Dream Theater

zepphead

2 minutes ago, treeduck said:

He's taking it well, publicly anyway, made a big post on twitter I think.

He's probably seething inside and ready to hammer the sh*te out of a drumkit tonight!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, zepphead said:

He's probably seething inside and ready to hammer the sh*te out of a drumkit tonight!

Maybe he can take over Portnoy's old bands like Sons of Apollo, Winery Dogs and Flying Colors and get his revenge!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

This is Dream Theater announcing their retirement without Dream Theater announcing their retirement. Was a lot more shocked  a few days ago than I was in 2010. Don't much care about this one way or the other. Whatever works. Feel bad for Mangini (one of the good people.)

I was surprised when Charlie got fired, but understood after hearing him live. I was gutted when Kevin Moore left, but understood after hearing Chroma Key. I was over the moon when Derek got dumped and Jordan joined the band. Mike Mangini was the right drummer for the band in 2010 even though I'd have preferred Marco.

I'm hoping for something ground breaking but I probably shouldn't be. I doubt there's going to be a paradigm shift at this point. Portnoy probably adds another $50 to my next Dream Theater ticket. If they venture out of their comfort zone, it will be totally worth it.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ytserush said:

This is Dream Theater announcing their retirement without Dream Theater announcing their retirement. Was a lot more shocked  a few days ago than I was in 2010. Don't much care about this one way or the other. Whatever works. Feel bad for Mangini (one of the good people.)

I was surprised when Charlie got fired, but understood after hearing him live. I was gutted when Kevin Moore left, but understood after hearing Chroma Key. I was over the moon when Derek got dumped and Jordan joined the band. Mike Mangini was the right drummer for the band in 2010 even though I'd have preferred Marco.

I'm hoping for something ground breaking but I probably shouldn't be. I doubt there's going to be a paradigm shift at this point. Portnoy probably adds another $50 to my next Dream Theater ticket. If they venture out of their comfort zone, it will be totally worth it.

Yeah, Kevin Moore leaving soon after me getting into DT was a bummer. Great talent. I like Derek and in particular ACOS. Dereks solo work is great as well. Jordan was a step up and I love LTE as much as early DT.

I am glad that Mike is back in the band. He was always my favorite member.

On 10/25/2023 at 1:44 PM, Entre_Perpetuo said:

Oh certainly he’ll roll the knob off of other projects.

Look I’m interested to hear what they do…but frankly I’d just rather they stuck with Mangini.

I feel bad for Mangini but it doesn't really matter to me. I just hope they lose their by numbers book.

Would have been great if both Mikes were in the band, but hauling around two kits on a tour probably don't make good business sense, but it sure would be awesome to experience.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, ytserush said:

I feel bad for Mangini but it doesn't really matter to me. I just hope they lose their by numbers book.

Would have been great if both Mikes were in the band, but hauling around two kits on a tour probably don't make good business sense, but it sure would be awesome to experience.

As much as I’ll now look forward to the new DT album .. I’ll continue to follow & support Mangini’s career going forwards 

( same as I’ve done/did and do with other former DT members with their various side projects ) 

• Like 1

On 11/3/2023 at 8:00 PM, ytserush said:

It worked for the Dead.....

On 11/3/2023 at 5:00 PM, ytserush said:

Drumming is usually the first instrument/player in a band that suffers at the hand of aging, so they may *need* to at some point (also of note: The Moody Blues did this).

• Like 2

On 11/5/2023 at 11:08 AM, stoopid said:

Drumming is usually the first instrument/player in a band that suffers at the hand of aging, so they may *need* to at some point (also of note: The Moody Blues did this).

Time will tell - but I don't see it happening.   DT is a players band.  Either everyone playing is at the top of their game, or they aren't..and there's no more DT.

Seems like that pattern has been discussed before with another player's band some of us might be slightly familiar with.....

Edited by grep

1 hour ago, grep said:

Time will tell - but I don't see it happening.   DT is a players band.  Either everyone playing is at the top of their game, or they aren't..and there's no more DT.

Seems like that pattern has been discussed before with another player's band some of us might be slightly familiar with.....

The White Stripes?

2 hours ago, grep said:

But imagine if they passed it off as a 'drum battle' kind of collaboration, could be called An Evening with DT & Mike²

Edited by stoopid
  • Like 1

On 11/5/2023 at 12:44 AM, grep said:

It worked for the Dead.....

Worked for King Crimson too. I think it would have been great but there's still quite a bit of this story we may never know because they seem to want to keep it that way.

• Like 1

On 11/7/2023 at 3:21 PM, stoopid said:

But imagine if they passed it off as a 'drum battle' kind of collaboration, could be called An Evening with DT & Mike²

Portnoy's never really been a drum solo/drum battle kind of guy. He doesn't seem to be very creative in that sense. He can do the Exit... Stage Left solo fairly well.