POLL: The Godfather I vs. The Godfather II?

Texas King

POLL: The Godfather I vs. The Godfather II?  

13 members have voted

1. 1. POLL: The Godfather I vs. The Godfather II?

• The Godfather I (1972)
    • The Godfather II (1974)

Both films are great, but also so different from each other.  I enjoy the original more, as I find every single scene so enthralling.  Every word of the dialogue is meaningful.  From the opening scene with Bonasera to the door closing out Kay at the end, I was mesmerized.   There was really no need for a sequel.  

42 minutes ago, invisible airwave said:

The most Sophie's Choice of any first two movies of a franchise.  This is the blueprint of "both equally great" that we would have with a few others like Alien(s) and Terminator.

I agree with the Godfather. The Aliens franchise I can pick apart better, more effective etc. I think The Godfather is the only franchise this can be done with, for me. It's perfect, and builds so amazingly.

Edited by condemned2bfree
  • Like 1

I feel I can’t vote today. Recently to prepare for The Offer I rewatched The Godfather. I think recency would cloud my judgment. I’m going to give Two a rescreening soon. Then I’ll vote. 

• Like 1

Godfather works better as a film.  Godfather II has great acting and writing, and is shot very well: it’s an all-time great.  But it is still essentially two separate stories: one about Vito which is in the book, and one which is about Michael and was written partially in response to the reaction to the original film.  I love the first story about Vito, but Michael’s story simply isn’t as compelling, and each story could have been told separately.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, JohnRogers said:

I feel I can’t vote today. Recently to prepare for The Offer I rewatched The Godfather. I think recency would cloud my judgment. I’m going to give Two a rescreening soon. Then I’ll vote. 

I watched Two again last night. It is great film, a worthy sequel. It does not outshine the original, despite having De Niro doing the origin story. 

Soon I'll watch the Coppola 2020 tune-up of Three.

2 hours ago, JohnRogers said:

I watched Two again last night. It is great film, a worthy sequel. It does not outshine the original, despite having De Niro doing the origin story. 

Soon I'll watch the Coppola 2020 tune-up of Three.

Three is overly maligned.  Obviously Sofia can’t act and the plot plays too much like the first movie, but it is still a very good movie.  

• Like 1

I think I'll go with Godfather II.  Pacino is fantastic, and the brotherly betrayal aspect is a compelling storyline.  The DeNiro/Kirby backstory is great as well.