Credence Clearwater Revival

Maverick

A couple of weeks ago at work, one of my co-workers brought up that he had seen some documentary on CCR.  He was amazed, and a little shook, to learn that John Fogerty was from California, and not some swampy southern state like Louisiana.  A second co-worker chimed in that he had just recently become aware of that fact, and they both felt a little swindled if not downright betrayed by the revelation.

I think I had heard over the years that the band was from California, and I wasn't much of a fan at the time, though I was more than aware of them and their lengthy list of Classic Rock radio staples.  In fact, for me, it goes back to 1985 when, in the Washington DC area, we got our first officially labeled Classic Rock radio station.  Before then, I think I'd only heard Bad Moon Rising and I Heard It Through The Grapevine.  If anything I was just indifferent.  I didn't particularly care for them, but they weren't terrible either.

But the conversation with my co-workers spawned some Googling and further researching.  Long story short, I ordered The Ultimate CCR cd from Amazon.  Two cd's with 20 songs each.  It has all the hits I remembered, and a few that I didn't remember until I heard them.  It has some covers I didn't know they did, and songs that were completely new to me.  One of tose songs is called "Someday Never Comes" and it has become a quick favorite of mine.

I'm not sure how far down this rabbit hole I am going to venture, but I've already ordered two John Fogerty cd's: Centerfield and Blue Moon Swamp.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Maverick said:

A couple of weeks ago at work, one of my co-workers brought up that he had seen some documentary on CCR.  He was amazed, and a little shook, to learn that John Fogerty was from California, and not some swampy southern state like Louisiana.  A second co-worker chimed in that he had just recently become aware of that fact, and they both felt a little swindled if not downright betrayed by the revelation.

I think I had heard over the years that the band was from California, and I wasn't much of a fan at the time, though I was more than aware of them and their lengthy list of Classic Rock radio staples.  In fact, for me, it goes back to 1985 when, in the Washington DC area, we got our first officially labeled Classic Rock radio station.  Before then, I think I'd only heard Bad Moon Rising and I Heard It Through The Grapevine.  If anything I was just indifferent.  I didn't particularly care for them, but they weren't terrible either.

But the conversation with my co-workers spawned some Googling and further researching.  Long story short, I ordered The Ultimate CCR cd from Amazon.  Two cd's with 20 songs each.  It has all the hits I remembered, and a few that I didn't remember until I heard them.  It has some covers I didn't know they did, and songs that were completely new to me.  One of tose songs is called "Someday Never Comes" and it has become a quick favorite of mine.

I'm not sure how far down this rabbit hole I am going to venture, but I've already ordered two John Fogerty cd's: Centerfield and Blue Moon Swamp.

My property manager told me about the documentary, he said they were kind of anti-hippie. I still find them mostly meh.

1 hour ago, JohnRogers said:

My property manager told me about the documentary, he said they were kind of anti-hippie. I still find them mostly meh.

Thanks for the review.  I'll have to revisit their catalog and give them a second look.  I already enjoy a lot of their stuff but maybe it's even better than I thought.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I like CCR; nice straightforward rock and roll band. I did know Fogerty was from California; one of their hits is "Lodi" which is about the city in California, iirc.

With respect to our fearless leader, I like the CCR cover of the Motown "I Heard It Through The Grapevine" because the live version is long and groovy and different enough not to suffer in comparison.

"Travellin' Band" may be my personal fave of the tracks. 

• Like 5

12 hours ago, Nova Carmina said:

I like CCR; nice straightforward rock and roll band. I did know Fogerty was from California; one of their hits is "Lodi" which is about the city in California, iirc.

With respect to our fearless leader, I like the CCR cover of the Motown "I Heard It Through The Grapevine" because the live version is long and groovy and different enough not to suffer in comparison.

I've known the song Lodi for a long time, but never knew what it was called, or what it was about until I got this cd.  Fogerty has a way of singing words where the pronunciations are a bit twisted, and if you aren't listening carefully, you will miss hear lyrics.

12 hours ago, Nova Carmina said:

Also, the studio version of I Heard It Through The Grapevine" is like 11 minutes long and has an 8 minute jam/guitar solo at the end.  I started hearing that on satellite radio a year or two ago.  Before then, I'd only heard the radio friendly edit.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Maverick said:

Also, the studio version of I Heard It Through The Grapevine" is like 11 minutes long and has an 8 minute jam/guitar solo at the end.  I started hearing that on satellite radio a year or two ago.  Before then, I'd only heard the radio friendly edit.

I'm not sure I knew that it's the studio version clocking in at 11 minutes -- which means the live version is just pretty much that version, but live. I assumed it was an extended jam because I've only heard the radio friendly edit, too!

• Like 2

15 hours ago, laughedatbytime said:

Thanks for the review.  I'll have to revisit their catalog and give them a second look.  I already enjoy a lot of their stuff but maybe it's even better than I thought.

I think for me, finding them when I was in the throws of Yes and Rush fandom, a lot of their music seemed very simplistic.  It was three chords and the truth rock and roll type stuff.  Then you had the California Raisins sings I Heard It Through The Grapevine, and that was as much a CCR song as Marvin Gaye.  I had an older friend who would strum Proud Mary every time he picked up a guitar.  The one song that was really enjoyable to me was Bad Moon Rising, but eve that was a rock and roll shuffle, although the solo section was musical enough and rockabilly influenced.

But they were more than just rock and roll.  The had elements of country, rockabilly, southern rock, blues, and I think you could call it Americana.  Others have called it Swamp Rock, Swamp Pop, and Swamp Blues, with their themes of living in and life  along the river in the South.  Their use of tremolo on Born on the Bayou is especially swampy, while the use of tremolo and overall style of Midnight Special is borderline Gospel music.

• Like 3

CCR put out great song after great song after great song in such a short span.  These days of course  I lean toward the longer jams, but it's pretty tough to deny the legacy of radio-friendly hits they left behind.  Susie Q is a sweet spot for me that hits both of those targets

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, goose said:

CCR put out great song after great song after great song in such a short span.  These days of course  I lean toward the longer jams, but it's pretty tough to deny the legacy of radio-friendly hits they left behind.  Susie Q is a sweet spot for me that hits both of those targets

I forgot to mention that the CD I bought has a third live disc with extended jams for Suzie Q and Keep On Chooglin'. 

So I guess you can add Jam Band to their list of styles, too. 

On 7/20/2023 at 3:56 PM, Maverick said:

Thanks for the tip!  I was thinking the other day that I would have to get some CCR back.  (Used to own Cosmo's Factory but gave it to a roommate years ago.). I will look into this!

• Like 1

My parents were CCR fans, so as a kid I was indoctrinated thoroughly.  They're one of a handful of bands from my parents that I'll voluntarily listen to today.  Fogerty has a great rock voice and they nailed the blues-meets-rock-meets-creole thing.  I hadn't given their background any thought honestly until this thread, always just enjoyed the music for what it is.

Buffalo Springfield would be another band (short lived) I'd put in a similar bucket, if you're looking for more classic rock options to explore.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, bluefox4000 said:

CCR is one of my favs.

small yet extremly tight discography.  Except for Mardi Gras.......We don't talk about Mardi Gras, lol

Mick

"Someday Never Comes" and "Sweet Hitch-Hiker" are top notch Creedence tunes. "Lookin' for a Reason" is a pleasant Hank Williams inspired, toe tapping tune. Wait, those are the songs John Fogerty wrote...

3 minutes ago, ReRushed said:

"Someday Never Comes" and "Sweet Hitch-Hiker" are top notch Creedence tunes. "Lookin' for a Reason" is a pleasant Hank Williams inspired, toe tapping tune. Wait, those are the songs John Fogerty wrote...

my point, lol

the boys wanted equal time.  but fogerty was your meal ticket you guys are not good at being out front....in fact you suck:laugh:

Mick

Doug Clifford and Stu Cook are probably the most under appreciated rhythm section in Rock music. Smooth and tight. Creedence's secret weapon. Fogerty's post-Creedence songs never had the same feel or quality.

• Like 2