Duran Duran’s Rio

JohnRogers

Rio has got some of the best bass playing in all of rock ‘n’ roll. Certainly top-five bass playing in a rock song.

• Like 6

33 minutes ago, Maverick said:

Do you smoke it, or take it in the arm?

For once, he's right.  Even Ozzy Osbourne says John Taylor is one of his favorite bassists.  Love that intro to My Own Way.

Strangely, my CD copy of Rio that I got in August 2000 has the alternate second verse about not rhyming on Hold Back the Rain compared to most streaming services.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Maverick said:

Do you smoke it, or take it in the arm?

The ears, bro. I receive the genius of music in the ears. 

I don't know about top 5 of all rock, but it is easily one of the better '80s tunes (same for the first half of that decade, which I think was more interesting than the second half).

I don't really care where this album falls in all rock, but it is in my top 10 of everything.

Edited by Laurabw
  • Like 6

4 hours ago, JohnRogers said:

Rio has got some of the best bass playing in all of rock ‘n’ roll. Certainly top-five bass playing in a rock song.

My God, Jackie.  You finally said something about music that isn't complete nonsense.

Taylor is a top 5 all time bassist IMO.  Girls on Film is up there with some of Geddy's best work.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Rick N. Backer said:

My God, Jackie.  You finally said something about music that isn't complete nonsense.

Taylor is a top 5 all time bassist IMO.  Girls on Film is up there with some of Geddy's best work.

YOU HAVE FINALLY gotten something right about music!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, JohnRogers said:

John Taylor isolated, especially starting around 2:35.

I've liked this song ever since it came out in the '80s, and I hated most of the new wave stuff back then (I've come around on some of it in recent years). Obviously the bass was the big draw with this song. John is pretty well locked in there.

• Like 1