Newly discovered 2112 8mm footage (June 18th , 1976) Civic Auditorium, Oshawa, Ontario

TheGhostRider

This just went live about 48 minutes ago. Another amazing upload from the archives of Speedy, rest in peace. This is now the earliest known 8mm film of Rush in existence, predating the blurry footage of The All The World’s A Stage tour, which was long thought to be from the Caress of Steel tour. 

Edited by TheGhostRider
  • Like 7

• The title was changed to Newly discovered 2112 8mm footage (June 18th , 1976) Civic Auditorium, Oshawa, Ontario
2 hours ago, TheGhostRider said:

This just went live about 48 minutes ago. Another amazing upload from the archives of Speedy, rest in peace. This is now the earliest known 8mm film of Rush in existence, predating the blurry footage of The All The World’s A Stage tour, which was long thought to be from the Caress of Steel tour. 

Great job syncing the video with the ATWAS audio.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, JARG said:

Great job syncing the video with the ATWAS audio.

I wish it was me that synced it lol. The Genesis Museum and Analog Kid Audio Video did. They did an amazing job though. 

• Like 1

Interesting video editing but the sound is fantastic. I don't think it's only because I am using new headphones, but it really sounds very clean, live (of course - but very full and balanced) and particularly the voice is some of the best of old recording I have heard. Thanks TheGhostRider for sharing this.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, currygoat11 said:

The 8mm footage is video only, the audio is taken from All The World's a Stage. 

Yeah the audio was taken from the All The World's A stage live album. No audio from the Oshawa show exists. The audio matches perfectly with the sync though which is rare and uncommon. Most audio syncs of silent footage like this don't turn out this good. The guy who filmed this footage Jim Kelly (Speedy) captured a lot of footage which made syncing it much easier for the people who worked on the film.

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, TheGhostRider said:

The audio matches perfectly with the sync though which is rare and uncommon. Most audio syncs of silent footage like this don't turn out this good. 

Most bands weren't as precise as Rush which must have helped too!

Would love to see more of the footage even if it's not perfectly synced, it looks fantastic, like the gatefold of ATWAS has sprung to life :smile:

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Rush Didact said:

Yeah, I would love to see the raw, unedited film.  As much as I appreciate the work that's been done to it, I would rather have an un-cut, un-stabilized, un-upscaled version.

Unbelievable! :wink:

• Haha 1

On 6/23/2023 at 1:31 AM, TheGhostRider said:

Yeah the audio was taken from the All The World's A stage live album. No audio from the Oshawa show exists. The audio matches perfectly with the sync though which is rare and uncommon. Most audio syncs of silent footage like this don't turn out this good. The guy who filmed this footage Jim Kelly (Speedy) captured a lot of footage which made syncing it much easier for the people who worked on the film.

There's a fair bit of silent 8mm film out there. In a lot of cases the sync job is distracting and it's better just being silent, but this is the best job I've seen even if I'm not really into the Frankenstein approach as a purist. It's really cool that a date may finally be established for this because much of the silent 8's remain mostly unidentified. Definitely an enjoyable watch.