New Metallica Album Announced (72 Seasons)

Union 5-3992

17 hours ago, J2112YYZ said:

I think the last song just goes on for too long. There is six minutes of music stretched to elven. They didn't write enough to make it an interesting epic. Kind of reminds me of how they dragged out the ending of Outlaw Torn for no reason. At least the main part of Outlaw Torn is good though. This album is Reload minus the songwriting variety.

My ears just hear it differently. But I'm also a sucker for Borderlands by Devin Townsend which has a similar structure. Though oddly I find the rest of the album to be way too long. Many of the other songs long overstay their welcome and I just get tired of them with the exception of the longest song on the record.

1 hour ago, stoopid said:

To no one's surprise the general consensus on this is: dud.

They don't really take any risks. I saw it put well elsewhere. "It's lows aren't as low as on Hardwired, but the highs aren't as high either." It's just kinda dull.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Union 5-3992 said:

They don't really take any risks. I saw it put well elsewhere. "It's lows aren't as low as on Hardwired, but the highs aren't as high either." It's just kinda dull.

My plan is to grab it in the discount bin a few years from now, I can survive without it until then.  :cool:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Union 5-3992 said:

Call me crackers but I love Hardwired just as it is!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, stoopid said:

To no one's surprise the general consensus on this is: dud.

The last two albums were very good and very well received. I'm actually a little surprised this album is as dull as it is.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, J2112YYZ said:

The last two albums were very good and very well received. I'm actually a little surprised this album is as dull as it is.

Same. But I really *hated* the singles every time they came on the radio. 

I've tried the album a few times and it's oddly...nothing. it's not a true stinker (it's miles ahead of their worst) but had St. Anger not set the bar so low, this wouldn't be getting the positive reactions it's receiving. "It's not St. Anger" is not a sure sign the album ain't a dud!

I agree about the last two albums. I know Hardwired gets a mixed fan reaction at times but though it ain't perfect, I genuinely love that album

• Like 1

It's alright...Hardwired was better and Death Magnetic is still the only album that can stand shoulder-to-shoulder with anything pre-Load. They're a touring band at this point IMO, and Kirk hasn't really contributed any impressive leads in ages.

Edited by The Analog Cub
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, J2112YYZ said:

i love the last two a lot as well.  This one they fell back into just another business day.

Mick

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, bluefox4000 said:

i love the last two a lot as well.  This one they fell back into just another business day.

Mick

It's odd isn't it? You'd think taking long breaks between records would inflame their creative powers.

But this is about as pedestrian as metal gets. I've seen people say "if this wasn't Metallica people would like it more", nah, if this wasn't Metallica it wouldn't be selling like it is.

• Like 1

Just now, Segue Myles said:

It's odd isn't it? You'd think taking long breaks between records would inflame their creative powers.

But this is about as pedestrian as metal gets. I've seen people say "if this wasn't Metallica people would like it more", nah, if this wasn't Metallica it wouldn't be selling like it is.

if this wasn't metallica  METALLICA woud be bored by it, lol

honestly the "if this wasn't such and such" argument is so stupid.

Mick

2 minutes ago, bluefox4000 said:

if this wasn't metallica  METALLICA woud be bored by it, lol

honestly the "if this wasn't such and such" argument is so stupid.

Mick

And it's not an age thing. Plenty of thrash metal bands are releasing killer work these days. Testament, Megadeth (though personally I didn't like that last album), Overkill, Death Angel, Anthrax, Kreator, Dream Theater, Iron Maiden, Priest...list goes on.

Metallica sell because they are a legacy band and one of the only metal bands the media recognises. I see loads of casual metal fans discuss this album like they are very knowledgeable, claiming they are saving metal.

Erm...no. 

It wouldn't bother me so much if it wasn't for the fact I think metal is largely misunderstood and these Metallica fans are missing out not digging deeper.

• Like 1

On 4/28/2023 at 10:29 PM, J2112YYZ said:

I don't pretend to know the best way to make a setlist when you're Metallica, but if I were going to see them for the first time and they didn't play One, I would probably be a bit disappointed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

I don't pretend to know the best way to make a setlist when you're Metallica, but if I were going to see them for the first time and they didn't play One, I would probably be a bit disappointed.

I agree but they have let people know what they're doing with the setlist on this tour. So, fans shouldn't go in expecting to hear anything since every set will be different. Night two had One and Sandman in it. I think they should divide those up and not do them at the same show. Of course that still means people will be at a show where One isn't played.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, J2112YYZ said:

I agree but they have let people know what they're doing with the setlist on this tour. So, fans shouldn't go in expecting to hear anything since every set will be different. Night two had One and Sandman in it. I think they should divide those up and not do them at the same show. Of course that still means people will be at a show where One isn't played.

Oh wow I didn’t even notice Sandman was missing

Here's the setlist for the second show. Five Finger Death Punch had to pull out of opening this show so Metallica got Floor Jansen as a replacement in front of her hometown crowd. Talk about an opener upgrade of one thousand levels.

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/metallica/2023/johan-cruijff-arena-amsterdam-netherlands-23b87c3f.html

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, J2112YYZ said:

Here's the setlist for the second show. Five Finger Death Punch had to pull out of opening this show so Metallica got Floor Jansen as a replacement in front of her hometown crowd. Talk about an opener upgrade of one thousand levels.

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/metallica/2023/johan-cruijff-arena-amsterdam-netherlands-23b87c3f.html

Okay yes I vastly prefer this setlist. That opening 1-2-3 punch must have been to die for.

55 minutes ago, Wandering Hermit said:

Count me in with the others that loved Death Mag and Hardwired, but find 72.... disappointing as hell

It's just...not good.

Honestly I keep forgetting it even came out

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Wandering Hermit said:

Count me in with the others that loved Death Mag and Hardwired, but find 72.... disappointing as hell

The title track is very good. The singles picked for it are all solid. Maybe one or two other songs are decent enough but every song has a similar feel and there's nothing that breaks that up. Usually Metallica is really good at letting each song sound unique enough to stand on it's own. With 72 Seasons most of it just blends together and that's the most disappointing thing. I think they rushed this out because they had this big two year tour idea and needed something new to help promote it.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, J2112YYZ said:

The title track is very good. The singles picked for it are all solid. Maybe one or two other songs are decent enough but every song has a similar feel and there's nothing that breaks that up. Usually Metallica is really good at letting each song sound unique enough to stand on it's own. With 72 Seasons most of it just blends together and that's the most disappointing thing. I think they rushed this out because they had this big two year tour idea and needed something new to help promote it.

This makes a lot of sense, actually. 

Plus it's Metallica, so they knew it would sell well

I dig this album. It's  more organic than the last few albums, which isn't necessarily good or bad. It's got some cool riffs and some atmosphere about it IMO. Kirk has definitely gotten too complacent with contributing meaningful, memorable solos  though. And does anyone buy Lars being able to pull off of these double bass drums anymore?  He's got some major sampling going on in the live shows. 72S is a worthy buy but everything they do will always pale in comparison to their first four albums.

Edited by GeddyLeeRoth
  • Like 1