The Wild, The Innocent, and The E Street Shuffle, do you like it?

Once again, trying to make some new non poll topics. This one is inspired by hi waters Springsteen polls though. The Wild, The Innocent, and The E Street shuffle to me stands as one of The Boss’ best albums. What do you think of it? What’s your favorite song from it? How do you feel about it compared to his other records?

• Like 2

I adore it. those first 2 are both a young artist finding himself but what he makes while he's searching is fantastic.

i rate the River and Darkness above The wild though.

Mick

• Like 2

I guess I’m not as big on The River as many people. It’s great but there are quite a few songs I don’t really love on there. Great energy though.

• Like 1

I make no apologies in saying that the first 5 Springsteen albums are my top 5 of his albums.

I would place The Wild ... at number 4 in that top 5 (with Greetings at number 5).

The  song trilogy which makes up side 2 of the album  is simply great.

Edited by zepphead
  • Like 3

I'm constantly amazed he had the guts not to end with Roslita. It feels like such a show stopper, an easy choice for closer, that I expected the album to be over right there the first time I heard it... but then comes New York City Serenade... and I'm just blown away. Unlike anything I would've expected from him.

• Like 2

From a person, and an individual, who has all of Bruce Springsteen's and the E Street Band's collection of studio c.ds, and albums, and take the time listening to his, and their whole discovery, I like "the Wild, the Innocent & the E Street Shuffle", but I don't, and haven't had a ranking of his, and their studio c.ds, and albums, and whole discovery because I've liked them the same.

Edited by Derek19
  • Like 1

I like it but I've never owned the album.

Attending college in NJ ( 1973-77 ) I heard a lot of Bruce in the dorms so there was no reason to buy his albums.   Again, the only album I own of Bruce's is Tunnel of Love.

I love it, always have.  Like Zepphead, I feel like his first 5 albums were among his best; my favorites anyway.  My favorites are Rosalita (of course, all time party song favorite, used to play it at everyone's 21st birthday) and E Street Shuffle.  The lyrics to E Street Shuffle are not much compared to songs on say, Darkness On The Edge Of Town, but it has such a great groove and funky feel (or something) that I have always really enjoyed it.

Did I ever say that the guy who cuts my hair used to play guitar in New Jersey bar bands and has a photo of himself with Bruce and Max Weinberg?  :biggrin:  I fell for that for a number of years until I finally said, " Show me."  Technically it was true . . .:1:, the photo was of  my hair guy backstage at some bar and way in the background, doing something different, are Bruce and Max.  Not very close to him.  :biggrin:   But it's more than I will ever have!  

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

I'm constantly amazed he had the guts not to end with Roslita. It feels like such a show stopper, an easy choice for closer, that I expected the album to be over right there the first time I heard it... but then comes New York City Serenade... and I'm just blown away. Unlike anything I would've expected from him.

The album ends perfectly with New York City Serenade

• Like 2

3 hours ago, blueschica said:

I love it, always have.  Like Zepphead, I feel like his first 5 albums were among his best; my favorites anyway.  My favorites are Rosalita (of course, all time party song favorite, used to play it at everyone's 21st birthday) and E Street Shuffle.  The lyrics to E Street Shuffle are not much compared to songs on say, Darkness On The Edge Of Town, but it has such a great groove and funky feel (or something) that I have always really enjoyed it.

Did I ever say that the guy who cuts my hair used to play guitar in New Jersey bar bands and has a photo of himself with Bruce and Max Weinberg?  :biggrin:  I fell for that for a number of years until I finally said, " Show me."  Technically it was true . . .:1:, the photo was of  my hair guy backstage at some bar and way in the background, doing something different, are Bruce and Max.  Not very close to him.  :biggrin:   But it's more than I will ever have!  

Hehehe ...... Close enough for rock n roll!!

• Like 2

Springsteen is a funny one for me... the stuff of his that I like, I really like a lot, and the stuff I dislike is some of the worst music I can think of.  If you want to torture me, put me in a room with "Ramrod" blaring.  "Hey little lady with the blue jeans on..."  UGH.

I think his whole blue collar, man of the people thing rubs me the wrong way - more so the older I get.  Having said that, there is some music from that period that I think is great.

But... I think I like Wild, Innocent...partly because it it comes from before he was such a persona.  The music on that record is still searching and feels very honest.  It's also musically quite adventurous and sprawling - so different from the songs of his that I hate.  (The irony of this being his actual glory days when the song Glory Days is one of the best examples of songs I can't stand....)

As for songs, I love it from start to finish...but having New York Serenade come after Rosalita to end the record is just so perfect I can barely take it.  :)

• Like 1