What pissed you off today? v.2

Mara

Opening my bill from the dentist today. It's hard to believe from what I owe that I actually have insurance.

The whole dental industry can suck it. Damn crooks.

I know the feeling. My 11-year old son has an appointment with an orthodontist for the first time, in a couple of weeks. May need braces. I have no idea what they cost, so I'm sure I'll be in for a thrill.

Yeah...I'm sure they're reasonably priced. :eyeroll:

Opening my bill from the dentist today. It's hard to believe from what I owe that I actually have insurance.

I know the feeling. My 11-year old son has an appointment with an orthodontist for the first time, in a couple of weeks. May need braces. I have no idea what they cost, so I'm sure I'll be in for a thrill.

Both my kids were around 5 grand but thats been a while back...

This didn't piss me off just today, because it's something I found out a couple of weeks ago. It's really, really, really been bothering.

Some idiot at work left a printout lying around that I saw, that I shouldn't have. It had everyone's salaries on it.

I've been with this company for eleven years, and I found out that I am the lowest-paid salaried employee they have. All of my performance reviews (when I do get them) say that I'm a very, very good employee. And I do a hell of a lot of things that I'm not supposed to have to do- things that other people really should be doing, and that they are continuing to get paid for doing, even though they don't do them.

My father has always said that there's no excuse for doing a job that you don't enjoy- and if you dislike it so much, or your attitude about it is that poor, you should just do something else. (As you may be able to guess, he is disgustingly rich. For those of us who are not, the same philosophy can't always be applied).

I think I have a legitimate gripe here, but I can't tell anyone else that I know how much money they all make. And I know, I should be grateful (and I am) that I have a job. But every time somebody comes to me and ask me for something, now- for anything- all I do is resent them.

The guy who was my boss for about eight years, even though he doesn't know anything about what I actually do, and can't seem to cover anything for me at all now if I have to take even one day off, for anything- he's basically an idiot, as far as I'm concerned- his salary is almost twice as much as mine. And that's where it starts...there are two or three other people who I work with directly every day, and who don't work as hard as I do, who make more than twice as much as I do.

I think I'm just going to look for a different job. Every day when I come to work, my attitude just sucks. (And it wasn't terribly good before I found out this little nugget of truth).

I just needed to vent for a minute or two. Thanks.

I'm sorry to hear this! I found myself in a similar situation years ago. In my case, I was a female manager working in a predominantly male industry, and I was consistently exceeding metrics and completing additional work. I found out that not only was I being paid less than my male counterparts, but also less than the folks who reported directly to me. When the person who had orchestrated this was replaced, his replacement recognized the sexism and rectified the situation. Over time I received a few promotions.

I hope that your situation will improve either at your current job or by finding a new one. For me, before things improved I was tempted to refuse the extra work or stop helping others due to the discrepancy in pay. But every time I had that thought, I felt bad about myself in addition to feeling bad about the job. I resolved to continue performing well for as long as I kept the job, and I imagine that I would not have received the raises or promotions if I had chosen to reduce my performance to match my low pay. It sounds like you genuinely care and have a strong work ethic. I'm certainly not advising to let yourself be abused, but my thoughts are that it is not worth sacrificing your positive qualities due to an employer's actions; you instead deserve to have an employer who appreciates your competence and dedication.

Exactly...I'm glad you got some kind of redemption after that kind of inequity.

I haven't given up yet! And I won't. I just need to settle down some, and prioritize, and then go after what I really think I deserve.

:cheerleader: I'll be rooting for you, and I'm already anticipating a post in the "what made your day" thread when you're being treated fairly!

An update on this whole situation- I did have a performance review today, and it was another good one...and so I voiced my concern about how my salary (in comparison with all the other people in this region, who do the same work that I do) is in about the tenth percentile. And my boss didn't even know- he said he was embarrassed to say that he had never even done any research on that. So...he's going to do a salary review, and get back to me in 30-60 days.

It was better than nothing. And I was glad that I got to voice my concern, and he was receptive to it.

So I guess now I'll just...wait and see.

• Like 2

Both my kids were around 5 grand but thats been a while back...

I feel for you. I needed an implant and those are crazy expensive too. Even worse is that you really need to go over your bill with a finetooth comb because most of the time, something is screwed up. And screwed up NOT in your favor. I always tell people to look at those bills, don't just pay what they tell you.

This upsets me a little more than pisses me off. I found out today that I have to have my hand and wrist surgery done again. Two of the screws in my hand have come out of the bone. The hospital, the surgery, the cast, the stitches, the cast and the recovery. The whole freak'in 9 yards :( . I will have it done asap. Probably late next week... :sigh:

So sorry to hear this, bro... :hug2: :heart:

I will time the surgery late next week and will have no alternative but to lay around and watch tv next Thursday - Sunday... :LOL:

yes, time the anesthesia around the Masters if you are able...

Nah, time it for around the Shell Houston Open. You'll save some money and it will be a full body effect.

This didn't piss me off just today, because it's something I found out a couple of weeks ago. It's really, really, really been bothering.

Some idiot at work left a printout lying around that I saw, that I shouldn't have. It had everyone's salaries on it.

I've been with this company for eleven years, and I found out that I am the lowest-paid salaried employee they have. All of my performance reviews (when I do get them) say that I'm a very, very good employee. And I do a hell of a lot of things that I'm not supposed to have to do- things that other people really should be doing, and that they are continuing to get paid for doing, even though they don't do them.

My father has always said that there's no excuse for doing a job that you don't enjoy- and if you dislike it so much, or your attitude about it is that poor, you should just do something else. (As you may be able to guess, he is disgustingly rich. For those of us who are not, the same philosophy can't always be applied).

I think I have a legitimate gripe here, but I can't tell anyone else that I know how much money they all make. And I know, I should be grateful (and I am) that I have a job. But every time somebody comes to me and ask me for something, now- for anything- all I do is resent them.

The guy who was my boss for about eight years, even though he doesn't know anything about what I actually do, and can't seem to cover anything for me at all now if I have to take even one day off, for anything- he's basically an idiot, as far as I'm concerned- his salary is almost twice as much as mine. And that's where it starts...there are two or three other people who I work with directly every day, and who don't work as hard as I do, who make more than twice as much as I do.

I think I'm just going to look for a different job. Every day when I come to work, my attitude just sucks. (And it wasn't terribly good before I found out this little nugget of truth).

I just needed to vent for a minute or two. Thanks.

I'm sorry to hear this! I found myself in a similar situation years ago. In my case, I was a female manager working in a predominantly male industry, and I was consistently exceeding metrics and completing additional work. I found out that not only was I being paid less than my male counterparts, but also less than the folks who reported directly to me. When the person who had orchestrated this was replaced, his replacement recognized the sexism and rectified the situation. Over time I received a few promotions.

I hope that your situation will improve either at your current job or by finding a new one. For me, before things improved I was tempted to refuse the extra work or stop helping others due to the discrepancy in pay. But every time I had that thought, I felt bad about myself in addition to feeling bad about the job. I resolved to continue performing well for as long as I kept the job, and I imagine that I would not have received the raises or promotions if I had chosen to reduce my performance to match my low pay. It sounds like you genuinely care and have a strong work ethic. I'm certainly not advising to let yourself be abused, but my thoughts are that it is not worth sacrificing your positive qualities due to an employer's actions; you instead deserve to have an employer who appreciates your competence and dedication.

Exactly...I'm glad you got some kind of redemption after that kind of inequity.

I haven't given up yet! And I won't. I just need to settle down some, and prioritize, and then go after what I really think I deserve.

:cheerleader: I'll be rooting for you, and I'm already anticipating a post in the "what made your day" thread when you're being treated fairly!

An update on this whole situation- I did have a performance review today, and it was another good one...and so I voiced my concern about how my salary (in comparison with all the other people in this region, who do the same work that I do) is in about the tenth percentile. And my boss didn't even know- he said he was embarrassed to say that he had never even done any research on that. So...he's going to do a salary review, and get back to me in 30-60 days.

It was better than nothing. And I was glad that I got to voice my concern, and he was receptive to it.

So I guess now I'll just...wait and see.

Glad to hear there is some progress! Hopefully he will rectify the situation upon completion of his review!

• Like 2

I was eating cereal and I bit on an extra crunchy one and I don't know whether or not only half my tooth came out or if it all came out because there's one growing in front of it and either one growing behind it or there's two teeth growing in the same place :sigh:

I was eating cereal and I bit on an extra crunchy one and I don't know whether or not only half my tooth came out or if it all came out because there's one growing in front of it and either one growing behind it or there's two teeth growing in the same place :sigh:

Ouch! Hope you're alright!

I'm battling something. Sunday I had pains in my stomach from the time I got up until I hit the hay. In the evening I felt like I had a fever, took my temp, and found I did have a fever. Felt somewhat better Monday. Yesterday even better. Today, my neck hurts and I have a sore throat and I feel lousy.

Are there any major virus/flus going around?

Maybe I caught Ebola from Led. :scared:

• Like 1

i woke up from my nap with a bad stomach ache. i tried using the bathroom but i ended up puking :(

In the back of my vehicle was a container of food that I'd forgotten about. It tipped over and the lid crack a little bit to let out the odor of two week old chicken and dumplings, which oozed onto the back interior of my Durango. Add 80 degree heat for about 8 hours. I came back to the vehicle, opened the door, and I swear it smelled like a dead animal. Spent all night cleaning that crap--and it still reeks! Edited by Tombstone Mountain
  • Like 1

In the back of my vehicle was a container of food that I'd forgotten about. It tipped over and the lid crack a little bit to let out the odor of two week old chicken and dumplings, which oozed onto the back interior of my Durango. Add 80 degree heat for about 8 hours. I came back to the vehicle, opened the door, and I swear it smelled like a dead animal. Spent all night cleaning that crap--and it still reeks!

:LOL:

That sucks dude. :P

• Like 1

Homework :sigh:

At least you got Tim and Scruff so there is a bright side to everything... :)
  • Like 2

In the back of my vehicle was a container of food that I'd forgotten about. It tipped over and the lid crack a little bit to let out the odor of two week old chicken and dumplings, which oozed onto the back interior of my Durango. Add 80 degree heat for about 8 hours. I came back to the vehicle, opened the door, and I swear it smelled like a dead animal. Spent all night cleaning that crap--and it still reeks!

My car, which still smells like an animal died in it

Edited by Tombstone Mountain
  • Like 1

Homework :sigh:

At least you got Tim and Scruff so there is a bright side to everything... :)

And Charlotte :) . I'm not sure where they are but I do have a hot water bottle which is nice

Oops forgot Charlotte... :wub:
  • Like 1