What pissed you off today? v.2

Mara

Depression.

Been coming on and off the past week or so.

By itself, it sucks. Coupled with anxiety; sucks more.

Music and belting out the high notes in "Cygnus X-1" seem to be the only cure.

And then chiding myself for feeling selfish..

...Because others are going through so much worse...

Life sucks sometimes.

And, occasionally, people can suck too, even if they don't mean to.

(And my day was going so well, too!)

To everyone who is ill...

http://gfx.glittergraphicsnow.com/albums/ll149/glittergn/getwellsoon/getwell007.gif

sad.gif

Had all my pre-op workup yesterday and am good to go for next Tuesday's orthopedic surgery.

In meeting with my Dr., he told me he'd "prefer" I don't take up rowing again. To quote, "Can you? Sure. But "could" and "should" are two different things."

I told him, "Look, I picked up rowing because I could no longer run. I love it - love the workout, love the rowing club I belong to, love everything about it. I'd prefer to run, but rowing has been a more than adequate substitute.

So, your choice. Either I run or I row. You pick. This hip is not going to keep limiting my activity."

He laughed. I think he knows I'm going to row again.

QUOTE (Mara @ Feb 22 2011, 07:28 AM)
Had all my pre-op workup yesterday and am good to go for next Tuesday's orthopedic surgery.

In meeting with my Dr., he told me he'd "prefer" I don't take up rowing again. To quote, "Can you? Sure. But "could" and "should" are two different things."

I told him, "Look, I picked up rowing because I could no longer run. I love it - love the workout, love the rowing club I belong to, love everything about it. I'd prefer to run, but rowing has been a more than adequate substitute.

So, your choice. Either I run or I row. You pick. This hip is not going to keep limiting my activity."

Did he mean, never row again? Or just not row for the time being?

Because that would suck rocks if you couldn't row again. Seems like it's something you really enjoy.

Realizing officially that my DVD player/surround sound unit has sh*t the bed. Went to play a few DVD's a few nights ago, but a message would pop up saying "Cannot play this disc" for both. Bought a few new DVD's today. Same damn message. UGH so frustrating. This was a DVD player with a built in surround sound system which was AWESOME.

And I can't afford a new one. sad.gif

RIP DVD Player.

QUOTE (CMWriter @ Feb 22 2011, 12:17 PM)
QUOTE (Mara @ Feb 22 2011, 07:28 AM)

In meeting with my Dr., he told me he'd "prefer" I don't take up rowing again.  To quote, "Can you?  Sure.  But "could" and "should" are two different things." 

I told him, "Look, I picked up rowing because I could no longer run.  I love it - love the workout, love the rowing club I belong to, love everything about it.  I'd prefer to run, but rowing has been a more than adequate substitute. 

So, your choice.  Either I run or I row.  You pick.  This hip is not going to keep limiting my activity."

He laughed.  I think he knows I'm going to row again.

Did he mean, never row again? Or just not row for the time being?

Because that would suck rocks if you couldn't row again. Seems like it's something you really enjoy.

He really meant "never row again". It's the extreme angles.

However, here is what it comes down to: quality of MY life. I have been really hard on the original hip and, yes, probably shortened its usefulness by a couple years. Do I regret it? Not one bit. If I had restricted my activity to boring shit like staying in a gym or walking (DULL!) and never getting to water-ski, then I'd have been frustrated and unhappy. Someone suggested swimming - no thanks, I was a swimmer in college and got really, really sick of staring at the bottom of a pool for hours on end. I need some speed and excitement. Plus when you swim indoors around here everyone is either geriatric and getting in your way, or the triathletes are running over you.

The new material I'm having put in is light-years better than what I got originally. Truthfully, he is not OVERLY concerned about me rowing (at least that's the vibe I got), but from a professional standpoint he has to give the warning.

And absolutely, I won't go near a boat or an ergometer until I am fully healed.

Realizing that a college education seems like a futile effort if you aren't great at math.

The snowstorm we got overnight, and the fact that because the plows had to be out yesterday to clean up after Sunday's storm, they weren't out until halfway through rush hour this morning. I didn't see a plowed street until I was 2 blocks from work.

QUOTE (Mara @ Feb 22 2011, 08:28 AM)

why do you need to be so active? My hip is fine and I sit at a desk barely moving for 8 hours a day... most nights too.

QUOTE (shaun3701 @ Feb 22 2011, 07:22 PM)
QUOTE (Mara @ Feb 22 2011, 08:28 AM)

In meeting with my Dr., he told me he'd "prefer" I don't take up rowing again.  To quote, "Can you?  Sure.  But "could" and "should" are two different things." 

I told him, "Look, I picked up rowing because I could no longer run.  I love it - love the workout, love the rowing club I belong to, love everything about it.  I'd prefer to run, but rowing has been a more than adequate substitute. 

So, your choice.  Either I run or I row.  You pick.  This hip is not going to keep limiting my activity."

why do you need to be so active? My hip is fine and I sit at a desk barely moving for 8 hours a day... most nights too.

And you wonder why everyone thinks you are a troll??

http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd103/laserspray/internet%20stuff/NICETHREAD.jpg

Mara, I hope you are back doing what you love very soon. Sending best thoughts for your surgery rose.gif

QUOTE (Mara @ Feb 22 2011, 06:28 AM)

We are so alike!

A few years back when I injured my knee running the physical therapist said, "No more running for a while." I must have given him one helluva look because he quickly said, "Ok, take it easy then and run two miles at most, if you must." What I heard was, "two miles." So I shed two miles off my daily eight mile run. When I went back to him a few days later for my bi-weekly PT session, he looked at me and asked if I was running only two miles. "Oh yep. Yep, yep, yep. Two miles." He just stared at me, smiled and shook his head. I knew he knew I was still running a lot.

I did this because I need to run, I love to run and honestly, I knew I could listen to my body and could tell how much I could take without further injuring myself.

I trust you're the same way Mara. What about continuing to row but adjust the resistance and shortening the length of your workout. Or, if he really does put the kibosh on rowing, what about joining a gym and trying other routines? Maybe swimming?

It snowed all day yesterday and the roads were a bit icy. I couldn't go to my gym glass last night, I'm not going for a run this morning and I probably can't hit the gym this afternoon. And to add insult to injury I was so tired this morning that my breakfast was a huge cup of coffee, two Excedrins (for the extra caffeine) and four Samoas (the best Girl Scout cookies EVER). But those cookies sort of made me day too.

QUOTE (Janie @ Feb 23 2011, 11:42 AM)
It snowed all day yesterday and the roads were a bit icy. I couldn't go to my gym glass last night, I'm not going for a run this morning and I probably can't hit the gym this afternoon. And to add insult to injury I was so tired this morning that my breakfast was a huge cup of coffee, two Excedrins (for the extra caffeine) and four Samoas (the best Girl Scout cookies EVER). But those cookies sort of made me day too.

i don't see anything wrong with that breakfast. tongue.gif it aounds like you try to eat healthy most of the time so a samoas style breakfast won't set you back. i like the mint cookies a little more but the samoas are right up there, and lets not forget the peanut butter ones. i don't even see them selling those cookies anymore at the supermarket. maybe you have to order them online?

QUOTE (Janie @ Feb 23 2011, 12:38 PM)
QUOTE (Mara @ Feb 22 2011, 06:28 AM)

We are so alike!

A few years back when I injured my knee running the physical therapist said, "No more running for a while." I must have given him one helluva look because he quickly said, "Ok, take it easy then and run two miles at most, if you must." What I heard was, "two miles." So I shed two miles off my daily eight mile run. When I went back to him a few days later for my bi-weekly PT session, he looked at me and asked if I was running only two miles. "Oh yep. Yep, yep, yep. Two miles." He just stared at me, smiled and shook his head. I knew he knew I was still running a lot.

I did this because I need to run, I love to run and honestly, I knew I could listen to my body and could tell how much I could take without further injuring myself.

I trust you're the same way Mara. What about continuing to row but adjust the resistance and shortening the length of your workout. Or, if he really does put the kibosh on rowing, what about joining a gym and trying other routines? Maybe swimming?

You are EXACTLY like me! Ten years ago when I found out that I'd snapped the femoral neck in two (yes, it took x-rays to tell me that the injury was THIS severe), I was still working out on the elliptical. Daily. For one hour+.

Orthopedist told me what was up, scheduled surgery to try to internally fix the fracture, and then said, "AND STOP WORKING OUT ON IT!"

Did I listen? Noooooo, 'course not. I figured hell, I'd already been going hell-for-leather on it for the past six months, what was another two weeks?

Swimming - not really up for that, though several people have suggested it. I'll row again (biggest hurdle is the husband, really), and I don't truly think Dr. E. is COMPLETELY against it. The main risk is of dislocation, not excessive wear. And I have NEVER had a dislocation until the thing had already worn out and destabilized, so I'm not terribly worried about that. Professionally he has to give me those caveats, though.

According to a lot of what I've read about the new hip part I'm getting, I really would probably be safe to run again. But I will be satisfied with rowing.

Janie, interpreting "two miles" as "cut your distance by two miles" as opposed to LIMITING to two miles is about the funniest thing I've heard. I get it, though, I really do.

Getting three huge English assignments, a lab for Anatomy, and a few not-as-big things dumped on me today.

And it's the night before Districts Basketball, which I have to be at for band.

http://a.deviantart.com/avatars/f/f/ffffplz.gif