What is your own personal Criteria for Ranking Albums ?

In other words what for you makes a Great Album ?

With all these interesting Album Eliminations going on by

Hi Water ... & Treeduck’s 2022 Ultimate Rush Album Rankings

I was wondering, especially when there really isn’t a lot in it ,

how everyone picks one album over an other ?

For me , I probably tend to judge by this order ...

* Level of individual Musician-ship by each band member

* Overall band performance as a unit

* Lyrics

* Originality

* Vocals

* Production

* Direct comparison with the album that proceeded it - is it too similar or maybe too much of a step too far away from the previous album’s ‘ winning formula ‘ ?

* Direct comparison to the albums’ of other similar artists most recently release when this album came out

* Context : was it your 1st album by the band / where you were with your life when you 1st heard it etc

* Image/status of band in comparison with what ever else was happening in the music world at the time at time of Albums release

* Influence of other opinions , the ‘ music press/critics ‘ etc

How does everyone else choose ?

Simple for me - when I`m scanning across my CDs, which ones do I always feel like I could listen to? There are very few that meet that criteria. Some records might be suited to a mood or triggered by something you read, but the records which I always enjoy and want to hear - whether I`m in the car, gardening, decorating, in a good mood or sulking, whatever - are the true great ones.
  • Like 3

I guess which albums have the most memorable songs are the ones I like the most. Good lyrics are just a bonus, they rarely have an effect on how much I like the album or song.
  • Like 2

Everything matters unless it doesn't. In other words, if I have to think about it, I try to grade holistically. But sometimes I don't even have to think about it. I could come up with a number of compelling arguments for why Master Of Puppets is better and more likable than ...And Justice For All (bass, melody, production, songs, influence, reputation, etc.), but my brain won't hear them past the sound of Lars' sick fills in the latter's title track.
  • Like 1

The heaviest metal ones get the big scores! :haz: The wimpy nonsense get the zeros! :pussy:

Bet you love a little Britney Spears when mopping the floor

• Like 2

The heaviest metal ones get the big scores! :haz: The wimpy nonsense get the zeros! :pussy:

Bet you love a little Britney Spears when mopping the floor

Yeah, holistically. I say to myself, "Self, which of these albums has the most songs you remember liking, and could remember the chorus to right now?" That album is probably at the top of the list.

I do think that if I were looking at an album with one truly great song and ten drecky ones, that's not album contender; there should be some cohesion and the whole can be greater than the sum of the parts. I think of _Aqualung_ (not exactly a borderline case, clearly) in which the near-greatness of so many tracks makes it better than the individual bits. When we did the album of the year thing, that's why I ultimately plumped for _Aqualung_ over LZ IV.

• Like 2

Without question for me it's the first record.

If the first record sucks I have rarely given a group a second try. Sometimes other records are better than the first I heard

My first and still fave

Genesis-trick of the tail

Megadeth- peace sells

Rolling stones- some girls

Dream theater- I&W

Talking heads - remain in light

Public enemy- nations of millions

Red hot chile peppers- uplift mofo party plan

Between the buried and me- colors

Etc etc etc

Others I can't recall what I heard first but in general:

The younger they were the harder they rocked

Last records are rarely if ever the best

Usually the more a records sells, the more it sucks. Of course there are exceptions.

• Like 3

The number one criteria is simply feel.

Which album do I enjoy more.

Now there are patterns to my preferences I can identify.

I prefer strong lyrics, especially broaching themes that help explain my own viewpoint on an idea or express a new viewpoint on something.

I also tend to prefer the more vibrantly emotional albums (whether anger or happiness). Faster is usually better.

There are exceptions to all of these, though.

What's always true it's that I will simply like one better. If everything else is equal I'll choose the lyrical content I like best followed by most vibrant music of everything is still 'equal'.

I'm not a music critic, so I feel no need to defend a choice. I'll either like it more than the other or I won't.

• Like 2

Without question for me it's the first record.

If the first record sucks I have rarely given a group a second try. Sometimes other records are better than the first I heard

My first and still fave

Genesis-trick of the tail

Megadeth- peace sells

Rolling stones- some girls

Dream theater- I&W

Talking heads - remain in light

Public enemy- nations of millions

Red hot chile peppers- uplift mofo party plan

Between the buried and me- colors

Etc etc etc

Others I can't recall what I heard first but in general:

The younger they were the harder they rocked

Last records are rarely if ever the best

Usually the more a records sells, the more it sucks. Of course there are exceptions.

How do you like Colors 2?

A rock album that is done well is symphonic. By that I mean, a symphony is an extended "piece" of music that consists of (usually) four or more distinct movements. The movements have different time signatures, different orchestrations, different melodies, and totally different feels to them. Yet in a good symphony there is a kind of interconnection between them that makes the whole greater than the sum. Four random bits of classical music does not a symphony make. There must a thematic structure, even if each movement has totally different melodies.

When a rock album can do something similar, it is magical. More often than not, they miss the mark because a few songs just are not up to snuff.

Edited by Wandering Hermit
  • Like 2

A rock album that is done well is symphonic. By that I mean, a symphony is an extended "piece" of music that consists of (usually) four or more distinct movements. The movements have different time signatures, different orchestrations, different melodies, and totally different feels to them. Yet in a good symphony there is a kind of interconnection between them that makes the whole greater than the sum. Four random bits of classical music does not a symphony make. There must a thematic structure, even if each movement has totally different melodies.

When a rock album can do something similar, it is magical. More often than not, they miss the mark because a few songs just are not up to snuff.

So Wish You Were Here?