Pick your top five from this list of classic punk / alternative bands not named REM, U2, The Ramones, The Clash, The Sex Pistols, Blondie, etc...

Entre_Perpetuo

choose  

29 members have voted

1. 1. your favorite 5

• Fugazi
    • Minor Threat
    • Dead Kennedys
    • Sonic Youth
    • The Pixies
    • Minutemen
    • Dinosaur Jr.
    • Black Flag
    • Wire
    • Buzzcocks
    • Joy Division
    • New Order
    • The Replacements
    • Husker Du
    • The Smiths
    • The Cure
    • X
    • Television
    • Echo And The Bunnymen
    • The Jesus And Mary Chain
    • Cocteau Twins
    • Midnight Oil
    • Siouxsie And The Banshees
    • Bauhaus
    • Violent Femmes
    • Public Image Ltd.
    • The Stone Roses
    • Melvins
    • Gang Of Four
    • Mission Of Burma
    • The Fall
    • Social Distortion
    • The Cult
    • Pavement
    • Butthole Surfers
    • Big Black
    • Oingo Boingo
    • Killing Joke
    • Meat Puppets
    • Rites Of Spring

I left off some of the biggest names (but maybe not all of them) because I'm mostly interested in seeing who listens to what on the list. If you feel like voting for more than 5 I can't and won't stop you.
  • Like 1

You did one hell of a job here. I have only one band that I wish was on that list. THE CHURCH! "Starfish" is a masterpiece. The song "Under The Milky Way" is one of my favorites. It's all the title of my movie that I still have to write out.
  • Like 4

You did one hell of a job here. I have only one band that I wish was on that list. THE CHURCH! "Starfish" is a masterpiece. The song "Under The Milky Way" is one of my favorites. It's all the title of my movie that I still have to write out.

Thanks! I'll have to look up The Church. I'm not sure I've heard of them. Really trying to get into this stuff. Hoping to make some good record store runs in the nearish future.

• Like 1

Thanks! I'll have to look up The Church. I'm not sure I've heard of them. Really trying to get into this stuff. Hoping to make some good record store runs in the nearish future.

Yes! Get the album "Starfish" or find a greatest hits. You will dig them.

• Like 1

Yes! Get the album "Starfish" or find a greatest hits. You will dig them.

Pretty good song Earl! By the way, I didn't know you liked Joy Division.

Okay I tossed in a wildly uneducated ballot so now some bands have 2 votes.

There's barely any artists here I've heard more than one album from.

I've never heard any albums from anyone on this list. There's a number of them I've never heard of before.

Check out either Let It Be or Tim by The Replacements. They're basically just a really good rock and roll band with scruffy edge. Let It Be even has a Kiss cover!

Hey, everyone who votes should also recommend an album and song from each band they voted for! That way I we can all get some good recommendations out of this thread!

I'll start:

Dead Kennedys - Fresh Fruit For Rotting Vegetables - California Uber Alles

Minutemen - Double Nickels On A Dime - Maybe Partying Will Help

Dinosaur Jr. - You're Living All Over Me - SludgeFeast

The Replacements - Tim - Here Comes A Regular

The Smiths - The Queen Is Dead - The Queen Is Dead

Edited by Entre_Perpetuo

FRANKENCHRIST! A MASTERPIECE! I have my album from 1986 when it came out! My high school buddies drove into SF and went to Rough Trade Records and we all bought an lp! Of course it features the poster PENIS LANDSCAPE by the great H R Giger!! My poster is still mint inside the jacket.

For those of you who don't know. A few weeks later the SF Police came into every record store and confiscated all the "Frankenchrist" albums and fuckking burned them.

FRANKENCHRIST! A MASTERPIECE! I have my album from 1986 when it came out! My high school buddies drove into SF and went to Rough Trade Records and we all bought an lp! Of course it features the poster PENIS LANDSCAPE by the great H R Giger!! My poster is still mint inside the jacket.

For those of you who don't know. A few weeks later the SF Police came into every record store and confiscated all the "Frankenchrist" albums and fuckking burned them.

The same HR Giger that did the cover of Brain Salad Surgery?

• Like 2

Pixies - Doolittle - "Debaser"

Wire - Pink Flag - "Ex Lion Tamer"

Buzzcocks - Singles Going Steady - "Why Can't I Touch It?"

The Replacements - Let It Be - "Favorite Thing"

Pavement - Slanted & Enchanted - "Zurich is Stained"

• Like 1

The Cure

Dead Kennedys

Oingo Boingo

New Order

Black Flag

I'd add Psychedelic Furs to that poll. Moz's wankery has ruined The Smiths for me. Elvis Costello was right about latter day Moz. He writes wonderful song titles but forgets to write the song.

Edited by invisible airwave
  • Like 2

The Cure

Dead Kennedys

Oingo Boingo

New Order

Black Flag

I'd add Psychedelic Furs to that poll. Moz's wankery has ruined The Smiths for me. Elvis Costello was right about latter day Moz. He writes wonderful song titles but forgets to write the song.

I heard a PF song right after I made the poll and it was great! Maybe there will be a second poll…

The same HR Giger that did the cover of Brain Salad Surgery?

That is correct!

He also did Debbie Harry's solo album KOO KOO which I LOVE!

Also DANZIG III

• Like 1