Albums You've Listened To Today, V.8

Entre_Perpetuo

3 hours ago, Segue Myles said:

Jethro Tull- This Was 

Decided out the blue today that I am going to start exploring Jethro Tull. I gave them a marathon a good eight years ago, remember only positive things.

Anyway, this debut is really good. I really enjoyed this! What do others think of This Was?

Fantastic slab of blues and jazz. Bit of a shame this gets so overshadowed by their later folk and prog stuff.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

Fantastic slab of blues and jazz. Bit of a shame this gets so overshadowed by their later folk and prog stuff.

I didn't love the entire album, I thought the first half was pretty strong, but my mind wondered by the end. I'm not a huge blues guy, so I'm quite startled that I enjoyed it as much as I did.

1 hour ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

this is not my fav period from them but an interesting document.  for Me they kick into gear on Benefit.  That's like a singer/songwriter album.  But if said Singer/songwriter dropped acid then hit record.

i LOVE that album.

Mick

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Segue Myles said:

I didn't love the entire album, I thought the first half was pretty strong, but my mind wondered by the end. I'm not a huge blues guy, so I'm quite startled that I enjoyed it as much as I did.

It’s not a masterpiece or anything, just a good jamming time.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bluefox4000 said:

this is not my fav period from them but an interesting document.  for Me they kick into gear on Benefit.  That's like a singer/songwriter album.  But if said Singer/songwriter dropped acid then hit record.

i LOVE that album.

Mick

Mmm Benefit is great.

• Like 1

All That Remains- The Fall Of Ideals 

Remains a flawless metal album to me.

Lamb Of God- The Sacrament

Ditto.

Rhapsody Of Fire- The Frozen Tears Of Angels 

And again.

• Like 2

Rhapsody Of Fire- The Cold Embrace Of Fear EP 

The companion EP to The Frozen Tears Of Angels, this is essentially one 35 minute song. Heavily orchestral, and absolutely beautiful. 

I used to think Nightwish were the greatest of all the symphonic metal bands. Rhapsody Of Fire have blown me away, they are the greatest I've yet heard in this genre.

Since Tuesday:

Motion City Soundtrack - Go

Motion City Soundtrack - Panic Stations

Night Ranger - Dawn Patrol 

Night Ranger - Midnight Madness 

Taylor Acorn - Put It In A Song EP

Taylor Acorn - Stay Emo, Pt. 1 EP

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, treeduck said:

I think the melodies are slightly better on TPI but the songs are more interesting and complex on TAOP.

This is my thoughts exactly. Getting Brislin on Absence was a big help in terms of that, Absence title track is one of my Kansas favorites. Theres no doubt they both make up a great comeback from a great band.

Rhapsody Of Fire- From Chaos To Eternity

This is the last album I purchased of RoF. I absolutely adore it. It's the grand finale to a conceptual work that lasted eight albums, one mini album and an EP. I think it's absolutely sublime, with the two weakest entries still knocking it out the park. 

When I am ready, I will continue with the subsequent RoF releases, and the affiliated side projects.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

It’s not a masterpiece or anything, just a good jamming time.

I shelved This Was when it was first released but went back to it after  Stand Up and Benefit were released.   I needed more JT at that point.

Love Story is my favorite song.

31 minutes ago, bluefox4000 said:

i wouldn't say shitty just wallpaper, lol

Mick

"inconsistent" might have been a better word. some good / very cool songs on both albums, while others are so offensively bad i really have to force myself to sit through them. "Unheavenly Creatures" is classic Coheed, "True Ugly" is truly ugly.

• Like 1

Over The past few days.

All That Remains

Behind Silence and Solitude

This Darkened Heart

The Fall of Idols

Overcome

For We Are Many.

Back in a metal mood in a big way.  and I really dig ATR.  even if they are a tad wonky at times.  this Darkened Heart and Idols are two monster albums.

Now

Machine Head-Thourgh the Ashes of Empires.

This band when they're doing things right are unstoppable.  I don't like this as much as the Blackening but it's pretty good and a teaser for much better things.

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 1

• The topic was locked