Albums You've Listened To Today, V.8

Entre_Perpetuo

13 hours ago, Segue Myles said:

Blind Guardian- The God Machine 

Is this Blind Guardian at their heaviest and most metal? This is like a return to the early nineties, but with an even harder edge! I think I have a new album of the year...

i'm glad (and surprised) that Hansi's managed to keep his voice so strong. and you're right, they finally toned it down a bit with the symphony and let the guitars take the lead again, Andre's also playing with guitar effects almost as much as he did in "Twist in the Myth". Definitely their best work since Night At The Opera, though I did enjoy Red Mirror a lot too.

• Like 1

Just now, Segue Myles said:

Do they change singers often? 

Well the original guy moved on fairly early, and the second guy was around for a while, but the guy who became the fan favourite died a few years ago. So they brought back the second guy and he did a few more albums but then he left. And actually there was a third guy before the 4th guy who died, and that's the guy they brought back to replace the second guy! Ha ha a bit of a confusing explanation but there it is.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Mr. Not said:

i'm glad (and surprised) that Hansi's managed to keep his voice so strong. and you're right, they finally toned it down a bit with the symphony and let the guitars take the lead again, Andre's also playing with guitar effects almost as much as he did in "Twist in the Myth". Definitely their best work since Night At The Opera, though I did enjoy Red Mirror a lot too.

I have loved everything they have done, with A Night At The Opera going from me least to most favourite. (Well sort of...I feel Imaginations deserves that recognition too). Really impressed with this album, you can tell they have moved along from the extreme bombast.

1 hour ago, treeduck said:

Well the original guy moved on fairly early, and the second guy was around for a while, but the guy who became the fan favourite died a few years ago. So they brought back the second guy and he did a few more albums but then he left. And actually there was a third guy before the 4th guy who died, and that's the guy they brought back to replace the second guy! Ha ha a bit of a confusing explanation but there it is.

I really should explore them, I occasionally binge the first few albums when in that proggy metal mood. They deserve better than that though

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, treeduck said:

This is one of the best ones. This one features the guy who died, the fourth guy.

subsurface-50deb278d3232.jpg

Brilliant! I will check it out over the weekend!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Segue Myles said:

Brilliant! I will check it out over the weekend!

After that try these two, these feature the second guy when he came back to replace that fourth guy, pretty recent albums.

march-of-progress-509a11c91f383.jpg

for-the-journey-555c3ac4256c3.jpg

They actually have a new one coming out in November too, which features that third guy again. It's the follow-up to the one I listened to the other day:

a3404099269_10.jpg

• Like 1

On 8/31/2022 at 6:51 AM, Segue Myles said:

Machine Head- Of Kingdoms And Crowns 

Teatament- The Gathering

Fun fact: I discovered Testament with this album by accident. I thought it was an album by The Gathering called Testament. A bit of a shock when I realised it wasn't atmospheric goth metal with heavenly female vocals 😂 

I already knew of Testament in 2006, but had the joy of discovering them by accident.

Lombardo's drumming on that album is absolutely killer!  Great addition if only for one album.

42 minutes ago, treeduck said:

My copy was sent on Wednesday but I still haven't got it yet! :soapbox:

You should try and move to a place that lives in the 21st century. That way you can stream the album as soon as it's released and you don't have to wait on the slow moving mail to finally get it to you in order to hear it 🤪

Edited by J2112YYZ
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, J2112YYZ said:

You should try and move to a place that lives in the 21st century. That way you can stream the album as soon as it's released and you don't have to wait on the slow moving mail to finally get it to you in order to hear it 🤪

I'm from the old school. :old:

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

This week: 

Various Artists - Dead Formats, Vol. 1

Pollyanna - Slime 

COIN - Uncanny Valley

Notes:

Dead Formats is cover compilation released as a collaboration between Pure Noise Records and Pabst Blue Ribbon. I enjoyed it quite a bit. There's a lot of pop punk, but there's also Ska, and even a hardcore band covering Machine Head.

Pollyanna is a newer band from New Jersey that mix elements of punk, grunge, and pop. Their new album is excellent.

COIN is an indie pop group. Uncanny Valley is their most recent album. Some of their songs have a funky groove to them.

I also listened to some of the weekly playlists Apple Music makes for me. On Monday, it updates the Get Up Mix, which consists of high energy and upbeat songs from artists I like, and artists Apple Music thinks I may like. I also listened to this week's Favorites Mix, which is 25 songs that I listen to frequently. I've been trying to listen to both those playlists every week for the past few weeks.

On 8/29/2022 at 5:51 PM, Entre_Perpetuo said:

Still sounds like I'm gonna love it. lol

I love it ! :LOL: :yes:

Long live Muse :pirate: :blaze: 

• Like 1

Foo Fighters- Wasting Light 

This is such a brilliant album, it's a record I love more and more every time I play it.

• Like 5

Machine Head- The Blackening 

No matter how many times I replay this album, it always blows me away like it's the first time I have ever heard it. Machine Head at their finest, they really are to me on this record channeling the power and brilliance of the greatest of the greats that came before them.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Segue Myles said:

Machine Head- The Blackening 

No matter how many times I replay this album, it always blows me away like it's the first time I have ever heard it. Machine Head at their finest, they really are to me on this record channeling the power and brilliance of the greatest of the greats that came before them.

Their best album by a mile. Flawless record.

Oh wait, I already said that about something else 😄

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, J2112YYZ said:

Their best album by a mile. Flawless record.

Oh wait, I already said that about something else 😄

i agree.  I've played the new album a couple times........it's really good.  it doesn't TOUCH the Blackening though.

Not even in the same ballpark for me.

Mick

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, bluefox4000 said:

i agree.  I've played the new album a couple times........it's really good.  it doesn't TOUCH the Blackening though.

Not even in the same ballpark for me.

Mick

Definitely. The Blackening in 2008 just left the scene in tatters. And that was a strong year! (Shogun, Death Magnetic, Watershed)

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Segue Myles said:

Definitely. The Blackening in 2008 just left the scene in tatters. And that was a strong year! (Shogun, Death Magnetic, Watershed)

The new onne kinda an appology album.  it's really not unlike what Greenday tried after the trilogy flopped.  Only MH's is good......BUUUUT it still reeks of tail between your legs....."we made an oops-y here ya go...... SOOOORRRY.

Mick

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Segue Myles said:

I saw them on the 2008 Mayhem festival. They were the headliner for the second stage and my dumb ass decided to get right up in front for them. That was one of the most insane crowds I have ever been in. The mosh pit literally went from right behind me to halfway down the open lot. The pushing from the crowd was probably the best or worst (depending on how you feel about that stuff)  I experienced at a concert. I did not end the show anywhere near the spot I started in. I got pushed back a few rows and to the side of the stage by the time it was over. My brother and my nephew wanted to get down to where I was but they waited too long before the start and they end up getting sucked in and swept away in the insane pit. Oh yeah, we still had Disturbed and Slipknot to see after that 😄

• Like 1

• The topic was locked