Why do you think there were no PW vids?

Timbale

I have always been perplexed by the fact that Permanent Waves is the only record, since the band started making videos, where they didn't make a single video to promote songs.

The two prior albums both have essentially half of the record represented with "live", multi camera filmed versions... and then the album after PW has 3 in studio performances (and then 2 real live vids from MP the next year).

With the band making a conscious change to move away from the heavy prog feel of Hemispheres, it just seems so strange that this is the album they wouldn't try to promote on the burgeoning new format.

How is it that someone like Ray Daniels didn't walk in while they were laying down/mixing Spirit Of Radio or Freewill and say "we need videos for these songs"!

Thoughts?

• Like 2

Maybe if they called it "The Spirit of Video" :huh: Edited by Your_Lion
  • Like 1

Very good question. TSOR would have been an obvious choice and while MTV and MuchMusic hadn't started yet, there was the emergence of music video shows. A missed opportunity. Odd how Rush skipped playing Toronto on that tour as well. No connection to the videos but still....
  • Like 1

Very good question. TSOR would have been an obvious choice and while MTV and MuchMusic hadn't started yet, there was the emergence of music video shows. A missed opportunity. Odd how Rush skipped playing Toronto on that tour as well. No connection to the videos but still....

That's so interesting! I never knew they didn't play TO on that tour.

Perhaps Geddy, Alex, and Neil (before he passed on) realized that there wasn't video for Permanent Waves that they decided to do one for the 40th anniversary milestone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_QtO0Rhp0w

Maybe this was intentional with waiting patiently for technology to evolve of creating the video they envisioned for the song.

This is in a similar way with Neil Young embracing the Blu-ray format as noted here.

Edited by RushFanForever
  • Like 2

I got like halfway through your post before I realized you meant Permanent Waves and not Power Windows, lol. Just a tip, as for album abbreviations around here people tend to use PeW for Permanent Waves and PoW for Power Windows.

Yeah I don't know why no videos, that's a good question. Maybe they decided after Hems that videos weren't really doing much of anything, but by the time MP came out MTV had finally come around and they decided to start making videos again for that reason.

• Like 3

I have always been perplexed by the fact that Permanent Waves is the only record, since the band started making videos, where they didn't make a single video to promote songs.

The two prior albums both have essentially half of the record represented with "live", multi camera filmed versions... and then the album after PW has 3 in studio performances (and then 2 real live vids from MP the next year).

With the band making a conscious change to move away from the heavy prog feel of Hemispheres, it just seems so strange that this is the album they wouldn't try to promote on the burgeoning new format.

How is it that someone like Ray Daniels didn't walk in while they were laying down/mixing Spirit Of Radio or Freewill and say "we need videos for these songs"!

Thoughts?

Always wondered about this one myself. They may not have wanted to dedicate any time to it at that point.

Edited by ytserush
  • Like 1

Odd how Rush skipped playing Toronto on that tour as well. No connection to the videos but still....

I seem to recall reading that they had a really bad experience playing the Toronto Varsity Stadium in 79 and were less enthusiastic about having another hometown show so soon afterwards.

• Like 1

Can imagine was a very busy time for them writing stuff were churning albums out, when you in the groove slide hard and fast, no time for paraphernalia like videos and if they did have time they'd just write more stuff in all probability
  • Like 1

Was also a sea change era in their development transitioning from old to nu rush so much going on tonnes of material coming out the ether + playing it on tour no chance for anything else

When things had kinda settled after the transition you start to get the videos back

• Like 1

Perhaps Geddy, Alex, and Neil (before he passed on) realized that there wasn't video for Permanent Waves that they decided to do one for the 40th anniversary milestone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_QtO0Rhp0w

Maybe this was intentional with waiting patiently for technology to evolve of creating the video they envisioned for the song.

This is in a similar way with Neil Young embracing the Blu-ray format as noted here.

I love that video.

Can imagine was a very busy time for them writing stuff were churning albums out, when you in the groove slide hard and fast, no time for paraphernalia like videos and if they did have time they'd just write more stuff in all probability

Yeah the schedule then was insane. The Hemispheres tour finished at the end of September, Permanent Waves was recorded in the fall, I imagine they took a short break over Christmas then were out on the road again when the album was released in January. Toured in 1980 right through til October and it was back to Le Studio to work on Moving Pictures!

Edited by Lurkst
  • Like 1

The audience noise in 'The Spirit of Radio' is from the Max Webster concert as noted by Kim Mitchell (Jan 2014 interview) below, which begins around the 5:40 to the 8:30 mark.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6liCtOdEho

Terry Brown probably sampled the audience noise from the 1979 Max Webster album Live Magnetic Air, since he produced it.

I attempted to locate video footage on YouTube from the Guelph, Ontario Max Webster concert that was recorded for the live album, but to no avail.

If there was footage available, in a way it would sort of be a RUSH video with just the audience noise.

Edited by RushFanForever

They had the Top of the Pops visuals...I remember seeing this at the time too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1b-fFQAZT-s

Jesus god, what is that?!

It was a TV pop music show from the UK that was big in the 60's, 70's and 80's.

Oh yeah, I know TOTP...I just didn't know they did their "own" videos for songs like that. It's insane!