Permanent Waves (1980): Songs Elimination (Round 1)

_hi_water._

19 members have voted

1. 1. Immune:

• The Spirit Of Radio
    • Freewill
    • Jacob's Ladder
    • Entre Nous
    • Different Strings
    • Natural Science
  2. 2. Eliminate:

• The Spirit Of Radio
    • Freewill
    • Jacob's Ladder
    • Entre Nous
    • Different Strings
    • Natural Science

My 2nd favorite Rush album, like AFTK it also contains two of my top 5 Rush songs: Natural Science and The Spirit Of Radio. I think the breakdown on this one is pretty simple. Every song is excellent, but some are more excellent than others:

1. Natural Science

2. The Spirit Of Radio

3. Freewill

4. Jacob's Ladder

5. Entre Nous

6. Different Strings

• Like 1

It's got to be Different Strings, a solid song but kind of the Tears of Permanent Waves.

I don't know if this is a hot take, and I love both of these songs, but to me Different Strings is clearly better than Tears.

• Like 1

It's got to be Different Strings, a solid song but kind of the Tears of Permanent Waves.

I don't know if this is a hot take, and I love both of these songs, but to me Different Strings is clearly better than Tears.

Oh yeah it's better but it's on the ballad end of the RUSH scale is what I was getting at.

• Like 1

Oh yeah it's better but it's on the ballad end of the RUSH scale is what I was getting at.

Yeah it is.

"Different Strings" is one of the best ballads Rush put out there.
  • Like 2

I love Different Strings... I just wish the outro solo went on a little longer before fading out.

I didn't vote to eliminate it, though... I picked Entre Nous

• Like 2

Here's my VERY CONTROVERSIAL ranking of Permanent Waves

1- Jacob's Ladder

2- Freewill

3- The Spirit of radio

4- Different Strings :unsure:

5- Natural Science :outtahere:

6. Entre Nous

• Like 1

I love Different Strings... I just wish the outro solo went on a little longer before fading out.

I didn't vote to eliminate it, though... I picked Entre Nous

Same here.
  • Like 1

Good to see Different Strings isn't universally thought of as the weakest. It's my favourite balled by Rush and just to add another variation and controversial ordering, I give you:-

1. The Spirit of Radio

2. Natural Science (could reverse 1 and 2 occasionally if getting sick of Spirt overplay...)

3. Different Strings (and that outro solo...great prelude to Natural)

4. Jacob's Ladder

5=Freewill

5=Entre nous

I know, controversially I put Freewill lower than everyone else. I LOVE the instrumental mid-section and I do like the song, I just don't love it. Sorry to be different but with respect (;-)) you're all wrong about it! (...you and the horse you rode in on! And the calvary behind you...)

But most seem to agree that it's one of their better albums and even Different Strings is given some love when ranked as the worst of it's songs by some. No duff tracks tbh.

But I just think that most Rush fans just don't do 'ballads'.

Could actually reorder the last 3 in various ways depending on mood.

Edited by Malignant Narcissist

If any of this even does makes a difference, here is my loving, and liking of the songs on "Permanent Waves".

Jacob's Ladder (From it, has always been my favorite, and overall, second favorite Rush song)

Natural Science (From it, second favorite)

(From it, tied for third) Entre Nous (Between Us)

the Spirit of Radio

Freewill

Different Strings

Edited by Derek19

Natural Science is the big epic on this album and it's popular with RUSH fans, but for me while it's good I don't think it's up to the usual RUSH epics standards. I think it's the weakest RUSH epic and I'll voting to eliminate it next.
  • Like 1

Natural Science is the big epic on this album and it's popular with RUSH fans, but for me while it's good I don't think it's up to the usual RUSH epics standards. I think it's the weakest RUSH epic and I'll voting to eliminate it next.

:cheers:

I absolutely love the "Wheel within wheels in a spiral array" section, but most of the rest of it does very little for me. Like you say, compared to other Rush epics

• Like 1

I absolutely love the "Wheel within wheels in a spiral array" section, but most of the rest of it does very little for me. Like you say, compared to other Rush epics

Yeah there's a artificial, cobbled together feeling about it, and it's not all that melodic. And this song might be where the shoehorn got used most of all for Neil's lyrics! Having said all that I still think it's a pretty good song.

• Like 1

It'll probably still win though :rage:

Re: Natural Science - I'd be slightly surprised because I thought most would go for Spirit of Radio. Unless it's the overplayed thing...

It'll probably still win though :rage:

Re: Natural Science - I'd be slightly surprised because I thought most would go for Spirit of Radio. Unless it's the overplayed thing...

From years on this forum, I've got a pretty good idea what songs are the very popular ones around here. Natural Science is regularly sited as an all-time favourite and many member's #1 song.

No matter how wrong they are :P

Edited by Your_Lion
  • Like 1

I think the lyrics of the final Permanent Waves segment are utterly stunning, to the degree that I can barely believe them to be present in music, rather than philosophy. I think it`s a truly amazing achievement. The song encapsulates the entire experience of life on earth from amoeba through to struggle on to high art and death, and that`s not too shabby :rush: