THE ONLY SPAM THREAD v.25

That One Guy

10 members have voted

1. 1. When did TRF chatroom get taken down?

• May 1st
    • "This year"

6 hours ago, JohnRogers said:

Tell me EV provides instant heat, then I might convert. 

They provide near-instant heat. Running a heat pump immediately on startup is much faster heat than waiting for a combustion engine to get so hot that it heats coolant, and then siphoning heat off the coolant.

Pretty much any EV allows you to hop on your phone 5-10 minutes before you set off and turn on the heat pump or A/C, the heated/cooled seats, whatever. It's like remote start on a car minus needing to start anything.

My 4Runner is very dated by comparison. Damned thing is so mechanically ancient it's trying to cool itself down, while already ice cold, when you start it on a winter day. Doesn't matter what the conditions are, the cooling fan is running in that thing.

On 11/29/2023 at 12:59 PM, That One Guy said:

They provide near-instant heat. Running a heat pump immediately on startup is much faster heat than waiting for a combustion engine to get so hot that it heats coolant, and then siphoning heat off the coolant.

To expand on this, if we haven't talked about it already, heat pumps do not "create heat" like combusting a fossil fuel does; they "move" heat energy in the ambient air. Cold air outside is still above absolute zero, it still has less-dense heat energy, and a heat pump captures that energy and moves it to where you want, such as inside your car (or home). They are quite literally the same refrigerant cycle as an air conditioner, but functioning in reverse. They can and do also function as air conditioners, at least for home heating/cooling units. You can replace a furnace and A/C unit with just a heat pump for residential applications.

Heat pumps are awesome as f**k. Depending on temperature, they are 300-600% efficient. Yes, over 100%. i.e., for every kW of energy they consume, they move 3-6kW of heat energy to the desired place. 95% efficient natural gas furnaces don't have shit on heat pumps.

Everyone I've met that daily drives an EV in cold weather climates LOVES it, because they can just bong their phone to start the heater 2min before they get in the car, or even if they don't do that, it's blowing hot nearly instantly.

Edited by That One Guy
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

Heat pumps are awesome as f**k. Depending on temperature, they are 300-600% efficient. Yes, over 100%. i.e., for every kW of energy they consume, they move 3-6kW of heat energy to the desired place. 95% efficient natural gas furnaces don't have shit on heat pumps.

I can vouch for that as we have one and it keeps our home comfortable year around. We live in a small house and the weather is generally mild but even on the coldest or hottest days it's not unpleasant to be indoors. The kicker is when we got this unit the county had a great rebate as an incentive so we got it installed for less than the cost of the unit retail price.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, BastillePark said:

I can vouch for that as we have one and it keeps our home comfortable year around. We live in a small house and the weather is generally mild but even on the coldest or hottest days it's not unpleasant to be indoors. The kicker is when we got this unit the county had a great rebate as an incentive so we got it installed for less than the cost of the unit retail price.

Right on. I’ve got a 19-20 year old HVAC system. I intend on replacing it with a heat pump once it dies. 

posting to you live from the middle of BumFuck Nowhere, Texas with my weak cell reception as a hotspot.

Edited by jamie

I've been on the train for a whole day and I'm growing tired of it. I want to be in bed with my boyfriend in my new apartment.

12 hours ago, That One Guy said:

Cybertruck = wack

Lighter than the other EV trucks though, so that's something. 6,600 - 6,800 lbs is still too much though.

Cybertruck Release Event = Fun

8 hours ago, jamie said:

I'm in....Ozona, Texas? Never heard of it.

1 hour ago, liquidcrystalcompass said:

Possibly the ugliest part of America.

I drove through there almost a year ago.

18 hours ago, That One Guy said:

Right on. I’ve got a 19-20 year old HVAC system. I intend on replacing it with a heat pump once it dies. 

Exact same here, but it's central air and oil heat. When the AC goes, its going to be replaced with a split unit/heat pump. Still not sure I trust that heat will work in sub zero temps.

16 minutes ago, GabesCavesOfIce said:

Exact same here, but it's central air and oil heat. When the AC goes, its going to be replaced with a split unit/heat pump. Still not sure I trust that heat will work in sub zero temps.

The guy that services ours says that if it gets into the 20's or lower he recommends a space heater or other source to augment it just so it's not working so hard.