Songs you heard at exactly the right moment

Can you think of a song that was playing at the moment its message seemed perfect?

After my 50th birthday recently, I was thinking about my 21st -- I drank 21 B-52 shots (Grand Marnier, Kahlua, Bailey's), and was truly legless. The next day, I had to be at work at 5:30 am and that day was assigned to the kitchen at the resort where I worked. My first task? Helping to prep lunch by opening gallon cans of spaghetti sauce. You can imagine my state. At that moment, looking for a distraction, I turned on the radio and Molly Hatchet's "Flirting With Disaster" came on. Exactly right.

After my first date with my future wife, a redhead, the first song I heard was Neil Young's "Cinnamon Girl."

What you got?

• Like 2

I remember A Passage To Bangkok randomly playing in my head, and when I turned on the radio to a rock station, it was literally playing that song. Wow shit like this actually does happen :laughing guy:
  • Like 1

1. Awhile back, I was having a conversation with a lady about something, and made the comment of..."and isn't it ironic, don't you think?"

She mentioned listening to 'Ironic' by Alanis Morrisette with headphones on minutes before we met.

2. In 2017, I attended this long time arts festival nearby where one of the music acts performing was a reggae band from Vancouver.

I mentioned to my friends that the first song they may do is 'Exodus' by Bob Marley and the Wailers.

Sure enough my instincts of guessing this classic reggae song on a random whim was correct.

On a side note, I just learned that today is International Reggae Day, which I wasn't aware of.

3. Also in 2017, I saw this legendary lesser-known Canadian bluesman in concert.

At one point, he commented to the audience that we met outside and discussed Howlin' Wolf's influence on blues music.

Just as he was about to start performing one of Howlin' Wolf's song as a tribute, I blurted out a random request for 'Little Red Rooster' and that's what he did.

Whether that was the song he initially chose, it's hard to say.

Edited by RushFanForever
  • Like 2

I remember A Passage To Bangkok randomly playing in my head, and when I turned on the radio to a rock station, it was literally playing that song. Wow shit like this actually does happen :laughing guy:

No way.

I refuse to believe a radio station played that song unless the DJ was held hostage and forced to do so lol.

• Like 3

A bit of a bummer, but the first that comes to mind is hearing The Pass the morning I found out one of my students had killed himself. It broke me down, but in the best possible way. It made a the phone calls I had to make a little easier.

:rose:

• Like 2

When I went to Rush's Test For Echo Tour concert at General Motors Place, in Vancouver, before the concert started, I thought the first song in the first set would've been "Dreamline", and when Rush started to perform it, I knew I was right, and correct. Edited by Derek19

About 30 years ago, I was driving home, borderline drunk (pretty sure I would have been over the legal limit) and it was raining really hard. At the bottom of the hill I was driving on, the road was flooded. The smart thing to do (other than not driving in the first place) would have been to turn around and take a different way home (probably adding 10 minutes). But feeling invincible, my brain thought 'F*** it', I'm gonna go for it. Made it through just fine.

Moments later, Zep's Fool In The Rain came on the radio.

• Like 2

Does reaching the um, climax of a first thing in the morning encounter (with the ex about 25 years ago) right at the same time the radio drops in "Its A Beautiful Morning" by The Rascals qualify?
  • Like 1

A road trip moment stands out to me. It was a summer when I was in college and had spent the week at the beach. Made one of those good calculations like "Stay at the beach until 5 pm, drive 7 hrs home, sleep until 8, work stupid $5.00/hr job at 9 AM".

Looked good on paper until alternator trouble, dead battery, breakdown in the dead of night, having to walk with my sister to gas station a mile away, etc etc etc. (my parents thought NOT having AAA made kids more independent and concerned about their cars. Second part certainly true! :LOL:)

We ended up about an hour from home at 4 AM; I was falling asleep at the wheel and suddenly we see an open Dunkin Donuts AND the oldie Take This Job and Shove It comes on the radio! :LOL: :lol: Adrenaline rush and coffee! Made it home after all and got like 3 hrs. of sleep. Ahh, youth.

Edited by blueschica
  • Like 3

I used to be a pretty good stick, but haven't played golf much the past couple of years. Three weeks ago a friend asked me to join a Wednesday group, so I did. Having not played, my game's been pretty Jeckyll-Hyde. I even got the "driver yips" two Wednesdays ago, where I had no idea where the ball would go after impact...150 yards right, 175 yards left, straight but only 50 feet.

I had a decent day this Wednesday, made a few birdies (two in a row, even!). Today at the range I finally felt my old swing, and I thought, "I'm back!". Back in Black started playing in my head as I walked to the car, and when I started the engine, sure enough, it was on the radio. I get home, go out to lunch with the wife, and sure enough, it came n during lunch.

It's a sign... :dweez:

• Like 3

I used to be a pretty good stick, but haven't played golf much the past couple of years. Three weeks ago a friend asked me to join a Wednesday group, so I did. Having not played, my game's been pretty Jeckyll-Hyde. I even got the "driver yips" two Wednesdays ago, where I had no idea where the ball would go after impact...150 yards right, 175 yards left, straight but only 50 feet.

I had a decent day this Wednesday, made a few birdies (two in a row, even!). Today at the range I finally felt my old swing, and I thought, "I'm back!". Back in Black started playing in my head as I walked to the car, and when I started the engine, sure enough, it was on the radio. I get home, go out to lunch with the wife, and sure enough, it came n during lunch.

Maybe I should quit golf for several years, then! Maybe I'd get better . . .

In light of Goose's story about being back and Blueschicka's story about her car, I remembered driving a delivery van that quit on me in the middle of the route once, and when it was fixed, the first song on the radio was Aerosmith's "Back in the Saddle."

• Like 1

No way.

I refuse to believe a radio station played that song unless the DJ was held hostage and forced to do so lol.

LOL

Maybe I should quit golf for several years, then! Maybe I'd get better . . .

In light of Goose's story about being back and Blueschicka's story about her car, I remembered driving a delivery van that quit on me in the middle of the route once, and when it was fixed, the first song on the radio was Aerosmith's "Back in the Saddle."

That's a great one!

About 30 years ago, I was driving home, borderline drunk (pretty sure I would have been over the legal limit) and it was raining really hard. At the bottom of the hill I was driving on, the road was flooded. The smart thing to do (other than not driving in the first place) would have been to turn around and take a different way home (probably adding 10 minutes). But feeling invincible, my brain thought 'F*** it', I'm gonna go for it. Made it through just fine.

Moments later, Zep's Fool In The Rain came on the radio.

glad to hear it was not stairway to heaven.............

yikes. screw it, i am gonna drive through it vs turn around dont drown..........

• Like 2

Yes - South Side of the Sky.

Junior year in high school ( 1972 ) and went over to a friend's house and his parents were out for the evening. His brother put on Fragile and started to passed a joint around. It was the first time I smoked pot.

By the time SSOTK came on, I was flying and it sounded like the best song ever.

Edited by custom55
  • Like 3

We spent the Independence Day weekend with extended family. This song is connected to Autism Speaks, and I remember finding out about it when someone very close to me was diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome. I've helped his parents in their periodic fights with the schools for him. He's doing unbelievable now. This song came on someone's Spotify on the beach and I had to get up and take a walk by myself, because it always reminds of the moment I first heard the news.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JDY1KvoQYk

• Like 4

It was my 18th birthday, 1981.

Me mum had just left for work and sisters off to school.

I had decided on a day of truancy long in advance.

I looked about for my pipe to fire up a bowl to start the day.

Darn, my sister copped it and it was loaded with fun.

Though I was pretty schooled in the art of such things, for the life of me I just could never roll a smokeable joint.

What to do?

(Ah, The quandary’s of misspent youth)!

So, I find some papers and end up rolling the best looking doobie I’d ever seen.

I decide to take a bath.

So here I am, in the tub, smoking my perfect joint, drinking a Heineken Dark and listen to.,,

Alice Cooper - “I’m Eighteen” on beautiful 8 Track tape.

I’ll never forget it.

• Like 3

July 1989...

...my now, wife and I are on one of our first dates.

A fun evening in NYC, a short drive from New Jersey where we both lived.

We parked at Journal Square in Jersey City, just this side of the Hudson River where we took the PATH train into Manhattan.

On our way into the city the we had to park all the way on the top of the roof, as the parking lot was nearly full.

So, we get back to the PATH Station / Journal Square after a wonderful afternoon and evening in the city.

We reach my truck and the lights of the skyline of the city across the river are shining bright with moon shining equally bright above it.

I turn to her and ask, "would you dance with me?"

She said replied, "where?"

I said, "right here and right now."

She said, "you're crazy, you know?"

I said, "That's besides the point, yes or no?"

Much to my pleasure, she agreed and right there on top of that parking garage over looking the skyline of New York City we shared our first dance.

So, here's the tricky part...

...the first song was the Ramones cover of The Ronettes, "Baby, I Love You".

At the end of the song I risked it all and said, "I want you to know that I love you".

She said, "I love you too".

All was suddenly right with the universe.

That was 31 July 1989...

...31 years later I can honestly say that we are more in love now than we were then.

Every 31st of July we share a dance to that song, as well as on every New Year's Eve.

I'm truly the most fortunate man on the planet.

• Like 2

July 1989...

...my now, wife and I are on one of our first dates.

A fun evening in NYC, a short drive from New Jersey where we both lived.

We parked at Journal Square in Jersey City, just this side of the Hudson River where we took the PATH train into Manhattan.

On our way into the city the we had to park all the way on the top of the roof, as the parking lot was nearly full.

So, we get back to the PATH Station / Journal Square after a wonderful afternoon and evening in the city.

We reach my truck and the lights of the skyline of the city across the river are shining bright with moon shining equally bright above it.

I turn to her and ask, "would you dance with me?"

She said replied, "where?"

I said, "right here and right now."

She said, "you're crazy, you know?"

I said, "That's besides the point, yes or no?"

Much to my pleasure, she agreed and right there on top of that parking garage over looking the skyline of New York City we shared our first dance.

So, here's the tricky part...

...the first song was the Ramones cover of The Ronettes, "Baby, I Love You".

At the end of the song I risked it all and said, "I want you to know that I love you".

She said, "I love you too".

All was suddenly right with the universe.

That was 31 July 1989...

...31 years later I can honestly say that we are more in love now than we were then.

Every 31st of July we share a dance to that song, as well as on every New Year's Eve.

I'm truly the most fortunate man on the planet.

http://youtu.be/AGlZwwtp92A

Awesome story and congrats! Great to hear that it's all good for you two.

That said and not to rain on your story but I got married to wife #2 that day. Went well for the better part of 15 years counting the 3 years together before that day but it collapsed in '07, got divorced in '08. Happy ending though as I met a MUCH nicer and Much more together woman a couple years later and we're still together 11+ years on.

The date you mentioned just hit me between the eyes for obvious reasons.