SOCN

Running Rebel

I get a chuckle from the "I hate SOCN. I've never been there, but I still hate it" type of comments.

I get a chuckle that someone who lists cycling as an interest does not post in the cycling thread.............

I get a chuckle that you know this.

:LOL: :lol:

I get a chuckle from the "I hate SOCN. I've never been there, but I still hate it" type of comments.

I get a chuckle that someone who lists cycling as an interest does not post in the cycling thread.............

I get a chuckle that you know this.

:LOL: :lol:

I got three chuckles from all this. :LOL: :lol: :LOL:

• Like 1

For the life of me, I'll never understand how people can say something along the lines of, "I've never posted in SOCN, but all the people who post in there are . . . " It's a politics sub-forum. If you're not into politics, there's no reason for you to post in there. I have no interest in Porcupine Tree or Government Mule. You won't find me posting in threads dedicated to them. It's pretty simple. But if you've never been in there, how do you know it's all a bunch of . . . ?

I just knew there was something fundamentally wrong with you but I couldn't put my finger on it until now. :P

Its worse than you thought. Gabriel-era Genesis? Unlistenable.

HAHAHAHA!!!

RICK! I love you too man! I love Genesis until Hackett left.

This could be THREAD OF THE YEAR!!!

Sorry JARG!!!

EPIC!

Here`s a +1 to the bit about Hackett. I think his leaving Genesis had the biggest effect on their music (but a lot of stuff happened in progressive rock come 1978 that probably helped Rush reach the heights of success they did shortly thereafter).

• Like 1

Can I join SOCN? Sounds fun. :drool:

The only requirements are:

100 posts

Hate the synth era

Loathe Snakes and Arrows

You forgot "Agree that Permanent Waves is a 70s album".
  • Like 4

100 posts

Hate the synth era

Loathe Snakes and Arrows

I thought we dropped the IQ test.

• Like 2

100 posts

Hate the synth era

Loathe Snakes and Arrows

It helps if one at least leans Right and since he's from West, By God, Virginia, chances are...

:dweez:

100 posts

Hate the synth era

Loathe Snakes and Arrows

You beat me to it. I was going to add that as well.

• Like 2

100 posts

Hate the synth era

Loathe Snakes and Arrows

You beat me to it. I was going to add that as well.

:LOL:

This thread is illustrating something interesting, I think.

Look at the people who are participating here. The majority are being diplomatic, giving an honest assessment of what SOCN is like for them without mentioning or plugging their position on the political spectrum, or bad-mouthing someone else's position, and they're also cracking jokes, talking about music, and generally not taking themselves too seriously. Those people are either SOCN regulars who have had little to no trouble over the years discussing heated political issues, or people who don't yet have SOCN access but would probably do okay in there, if they were interested. These people are easy to identify if you go back and read the whole thread.

And then we have a few others who are also SOCN regulars, but they're complaining how hard it is to hang out in there, how oppressive, mean-spirited and partisan the above-mentioned regulars are, and they generally have that no-compromise "My team against the enemy team!" outlook, as if there are only two teams to pick from. They're often closed-minded and are only interested in lecturing/schooling/judging or trying to catch members of the other team in a "gotcha" moment. They don't do quite as well in SOCN. They may last in there for several years, but that time isn't exactly productive -- for them or anyone else. Those few people, one could argue, take themselves way too seriously, and they are also easy to identify once you go back and read here.

Basically, people on the far ends of the spectrum -- either end -- seem to have the most trouble in a mixed political forum like ours. Everyone else seems to do just fine. And we're seeing a microcosm of that in this thread.

• Like 8

Well you know my view......they're all a bunch of c***s..........carry on.

Hahahaha! I'm a FOOL FOR YOUR LOVIN' FRIDGE!

I want to meet you and drink beer. I am crazy in a great way!! LOL!

I might spit my beer out tonight. "they're all a bunch of c***s!" That's you! Bumper sticker worthy!!!

I met a beautiful girl tonight. Outdoor dining sushi. She's beautiful. I love her mind, her intellect and she is so attractive. OMG!

THIS IS THREAD OF THE YEAR!!

I love that 73 hasn't locked this one down yet. HAHA! Oh the pun! My mom and dad have been on lockdown for 115 days!!

I love being the the son who has always been loved and taken care of by my amazing awesome parents.

It's sad to think about all the assholes on here who hate me for my opinions, but I have to move on.

I'm good.

Lorraine knows this. 73 knows.

You can say it's cradle to grave service.

So what.

Now it's all in reverse. Like my love life.

I had it made with my EX. You all know my story. Wendy and I travelled North America for RUSH for almost 2 decades. I took her to the best hotels. Restaurants. Shopping.

Didn't have to, but she was my bride. It's give and take. A balance in love and commitment.

Believe me I get it.

I have my two daughters. I am so lucky!

Zoe my oldest is going to grad school. She wants Columbia. Doctorate. Kinesiology. So proud.

Skylar my 19 year could already draw for Disney or Pixar. Has no interest.

She wants to go to fashion school in New York.

73! Please keep an eye on my "precious cargo." I know you get it! LOL!

I'm listening to GUP tonight. I can't stop listening......

• Like 1

This thread is illustrating something interesting, I think.

Look at the people who are participating here. The majority are being diplomatic, giving an honest assessment of what SOCN is like for them without mentioning or plugging their position on the political spectrum, or bad-mouthing someone else's position, and they're also cracking jokes, talking about music, and generally not taking themselves too seriously. Those people are either SOCN regulars who have had little to no trouble over the years discussing heated political issues, or people who don't yet have SOCN access but would probably do okay in there, if they were interested. These people are easy to identify if you go back and read the whole thread.

And then we have a few others who are also SOCN regulars, but they're complaining how hard it is to hang out in there, how oppressive, mean-spirited and partisan the above-mentioned regulars are, and they generally have that no-compromise "My team against the enemy team!" outlook, as if there are only two teams to pick from. They're often closed-minded and are only interested in lecturing/schooling/judging or trying to catch members of the other team in a "gotcha" moment. They don't do quite as well in SOCN. They may last in there for several years, but that time isn't exactly productive -- for them or anyone else. Those few people, one could argue, take themselves way too seriously, and they are also easy to identify once you go back and read here.

Basically, people on the far ends of the spectrum -- either end -- seem to have the most trouble in a mixed political forum like ours. Everyone else seems to do just fine. And we're seeing a microcosm of that in this thread.

73!

I have been in a serious Al Di Meola phase and Return To Forever. "The Romantic Warrior" is one of the greatest albums on the Earth.

That made me get out Stanley Clarke's "School Days" album.

It's all Epic. My point is simple.

This thread is FUSION!

Not CONFUSION! LOL!!!

We are all on the same page it seems.

The radical left.

The radical right are fuckked.

We need a common ground.

So funny because I am more on the conservative side.

You all know this. No big deal.

But I've learned that a centrist philosophy is better for the beautiful brain.

"The Body Electric" is on my stereo right now.

I remember playing this song on my Walkman on my drums back when I lived with my parents.

My parents hated that simple boring beat by Neil in the opening sequence.

I get it.

But I love it.

• Like 3

Hahaha!

Tangy!!

I can think of a list of people who I love on here and I might forget that list.

But you are one of them.

ROCK ON!!!

I love this Forum! I am crazy!

"Half The World wants to ban me while Half The World wants to love me."

HAHAHAHAHA!!!!

"SAD BUT TRUE!"

Love,

Metallica

• Like 2

For the life of me, I'll never understand how people can say something along the lines of, "I've never posted in SOCN, but all the people who post in there are . . . " It's a politics sub-forum. If you're not into politics, there's no reason for you to post in there. I have no interest in Porcupine Tree or Government Mule. You won't find me posting in threads dedicated to them. It's pretty simple. But if you've never been in there, how do you know it's all a bunch of . . . ?

I just knew there was something fundamentally wrong with you but I couldn't put my finger on it until now. :P

HAHAHAHA!!!

Sorry JARG!!!

EPIC!

Here`s a +1 to the bit about Hackett. I think his leaving Genesis had the biggest effect on their music (but a lot of stuff happened in progressive rock come 1978 that probably helped Rush reach the heights of success they did shortly thereafter).

Ha! 78!

I love you too. I get me man. "Hackett To Bits!" I get the pun. I majored in English. I'm a fool! LOL! A business man with an English Degree who is addicted to drumming and rock and roll.

No wonder my ex wife left me five years ago. It's ok. I'm happy!!!

"Hemispheres" is the greatest album ever conceived on the Earth.

I love Hemibeers too.

LOL!

Great screen name. It's me! LOL!

• Like 2

HAHAHAHA!!!

Sorry JARG!!!

EPIC!

Ha! 78!

I love you too. I get me man. "Hackett To Bits!" I get the pun. I majored in English. I'm a fool! LOL! A business man with an English Degree who is addicted to drumming and rock and roll.

I love Hemibeers too.

LOL!

Hackett is still going strong and playing as well as ever. As for Genesis ... they went through 3 important phases -

Phase 1 with Gabriel & Hackett ---- Sublime

Phase 2 Gabriel gone but Hackett still there ---- Still good

Phase 3 No Gabriel or Hackett ---- Total Sh*te !!

• Like 1

Interesting you mention "the spectrum" here. Because the one in the real world looks like this:

OP6yrOX.jpg

Which, as I've shown before, here are where the 2020 US Candidates lined up on that spectrum:

daROaF2.png

But given that, specifically Bernie Sanders, is seen as an extremist, fringe left in SOCN, and Joe Biden is consider left and seen (correctly) as an authoritarian, you have to conclude that SOCN's prevailing group political spectrum looks something like this:

JqTYLfs.jpg

And so yes, if, according to the SOCN zeitgeist, you fall on an extreme end of the spectrum on the last graph, you will have a difficult time in SOCN.

And to be fair to SOCN, this is close to what mainstream US sees as the political spectrum. Although mainstream US cuts off the bottom third of the graph entirely.

HCuW1qZ.jpg

I speak with non-Americans on a daily basis. They are always flabbergasted at American politics. Since we're outside of SOCN, I am speaking mostly to non-Americans when I say all this. Because it starts to shine light on what is going on in the US.

Bernie Sanders would be a centrist, slightly left candidate in most European countries. And on the LIbertarian side. But in the US, he's see as far left hippie. In SOCN, he is vilified as a communist. And this is why.

Edited to make better graphs.

Edited by New World Kid
  • Like 1

HAHAHAHA!!!

Sorry JARG!!!

EPIC!

Ha! 78!

I love Hemibeers too.

LOL!

Hackett is still going strong and playing as well as ever. As for Genesis ... they went through 3 important phases -

Zepp!!

I've seen Hackett on his last two tours over here. He's amazing.

I am so pissed I missed the Wind And Wuthering gig. LOL!

"And Then Their Were Three?" Retire. LOL!

I admit I loved "Invisible Touch." I was a senior in high school. I saw that tour in Oakland Ca. Loved it.

• Like 2

Interesting you mention "the spectrum" here. Because the one in the real world looks like this:

OP6yrOX.jpg

Which, as I've shown before, here are where the 2020 US Candidates lined up on that spectrum:

daROaF2.png

But given that, specifically Bernie Sanders, is seen as an extremist, fringe left in SOCN, and Joe Biden is consider left and seen (correctly) as an authoritarian, you have to conclude that SOCN's prevailing group political spectrum looks something like this:

H4JXZ4Y.jpg

And so yes, if, according to the SOCN zeitgeist, you fall on an extreme end of the spectrum on the last graph, you will have a difficult time in SOCN.

And to be fair to SOCN, this is close to what mainstream US sees as the political spectrum. Although mainstream US cuts off the bottom third of the graph entirely.

I speak with non-Americans on a daily basis. They are always flabbergasted at American politics. Since we're outside of SOCN, I am speaking mostly to non-Americans when I say all this. Because it starts to shine light on what is going on in the US.

Bernie Sanders would be a centrist, slightly left candidate in most European countries. And on the LIbertarian side. But in the US, he's see as far left authoritarian. In SOCN, he is vilified. And this is why.

Hahahaha!

I should be Zeitgeist666!

"The defining spirit or mood of a particular period of history as shown by the ideas and beliefs of that time."

Well Holy Shit.

Nostalgia? Zeitgeist?

Kills my soul. Probably a good thing.

I was born in 1968.

I missed the first decade of RUSH which does suck, but fuckk it.

I made up for it man.

It's all over.

Give me Poltergeist instead.

"YOU REMOVED THE HEADSTONES DIDN'T YA BUT YOU DIDN'T REMOVE THE BODIES!!!!!!!"

Life marches on.

I've listened to GUP twice tonight.

See?

I'm screwed. lol

• Like 1

HAHAHAHA!!!

Sorry JARG!!!

EPIC!

Ha! 78!

I love Hemibeers too.

LOL!

Zepp!!

I admit I loved "Invisible Touch." I was a senior in high school. I saw that tour in Oakland Ca. Loved it.

I haven' seen Hackett live but it is on my to-do list - a super guitarist. I'm probably being a bit harsh on the later

Genesis line-up - they had a few good moments but generally had gone way too commercial in my view.

• Like 1

HAHAHAHA!!!

Sorry JARG!!!

EPIC!

Ha! 78!

I love Hemibeers too.

LOL!

Zepp!!

I haven' seen Hackett live but it is on my to-do list - a super guitarist. I'm probably being a bit harsh on the later

Genesis line-up - they had a few good moments but generally had gone way too commercial in my view.

Yes!

I hope Hackett goes to Ireland when the world is safe again.

I am really weird my Mighty Zepp friend.

I love "Calling All Stations" The album without Phil Collins.

It's a masterpiece to my mind.

The drumming is off the charts. Oh the irony. LOL!!!

Check it out Zepp!!! TRUST ME!

• Like 2

HAHAHAHA!!!

Sorry JARG!!!

EPIC!

Ha! 78!

I love Hemibeers too.

LOL!

Zepp!!

Yes!

I hope Hackett goes to Ireland when the world is safe again.

I am really weird my Mighty Zepp friend.

I love "Calling All Stations" The album without Phil Collins.

It's a masterpiece to my mind.

The drumming is off the charts. Oh the irony. LOL!!!

Check it out Zepp!!! TRUST ME!

I'll be honest Earl, I have never listened to 'Calling All Stations'!

But, to put things right, i will give it a spin with an open mind!

• Like 1

Gary Moore Rules Zepp.

I am drinking a beer listening to the Colosseum II Japan cds.

I wanted to start a thread about Colossuem II but I am sure it would have been a dud.

Fusion, prog and Gary Moore. Essential discs. I am not crazy.

Just trying to spread the love of great music.

I know you get me.

• Like 2