Rank Your Favorite Bands' Albums

ST3V

26 minutes ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

I don’t dislike it, it just feels a little fillery to me.

that's how i describe half of swift's discography:laugh:

shhh......trying to trigger Segue, lol

Mick

• Haha 1

Just now, bluefox4000 said:

that's how i describe half of swift's discography:laugh:

shhh......trying to trigger Segue, lol

Mick

I really hope your wheelchair becomes sentient and WALKS AWAY FROM YOU

Edited by Segue Myles
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, Segue Myles said:

🤣🤣🤣

I feel now you enjoy Swift I owe you a band/artist revisit that you know I'm meh about 🤣

Oh I can’t even remember what I love that you don’t at this point. You came around on Queen so honestly there’s not much else I feel strongly you should retry.

2 minutes ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

Oh I can’t even remember what I love that you don’t at this point. You came around on Queen so honestly there’s not much else I feel strongly you should retry.

MUSE!!!!!!

i've come more around.

the only two that does little for me are Simulation Theory and Will of the people.

Mick

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, bluefox4000 said:

MUSE!!!!!!

i've come more around.

the only two that does little for me are Simulation Theory and Will of the people.

Mick

Oh! Well… iirc Segue does love some early Muse. Black Holes was on his like big panel of album covers in his sig years ago I think

Edited by Entre_Perpetuo
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

Oh! Well… iirc Segue does love some early Muse. Black Holes was on his like big panel of album covers in his sig years ago I think

Black Holes is a stunning album.

But like...I'm very aware of Muse and their discography, and I am not sure a revisit will win me any friends haha

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, bluefox4000 said:

MUSE!!!!!!

i've come more around.

Mick

I've given everything up through Second Law a listen and Black Holes and Revelations is the only album that grabbed me completely.

2 hours ago, J2112YYZ said:

I've given everything up through Second Law a listen and Black Holes and Revelations is the only album that grabbed me completely.

I love the album, but find it only skin deep enjoyable. Beautiful sounds, but like everything they do, it impacts me about as deeply as a commercial for hair shampoo. I saw them live with some friends and it was one of the most cringey, pompous and embarrassingly earnest concerts I've ever attended.

1 hour ago, Segue Myles said:

I love the album, but find it only skin deep enjoyable. Beautiful sounds, but like everything they do, it impacts me about as deeply as a commercial for hair shampoo. I saw them live with some friends and it was one of the most cringey, pompous and embarrassingly earnest concerts I've ever attended.

I don’t really get that reaction to seeing them live, but to each their own I suppose.

Why don’t I do a ranking for the heck of it?

1. The Resistance (Over 10 years ago, someone on a different Internet forum recommended I try this to get into modern music since I was a snotty classic rock snob who loved Queen. One of the most important music recommendations I’ve ever received)

2. Origin Of Symmetry (The magic here is in its ambition. The songs are great of course, but they’re great because they take uncalculated risks in structure and tone and harmony and melody and succeed in the strangest ways, plus the riffs are just killer)

3. Drones (I got this album on vinyl a day before the official release date by calling my local record store and asking them to save me a copy till I got back from the family vacation I was set to leave for on release day. They said “I’ll do you one better, if you can stop by today I’ll sell it to you now.”)

4. Absolution (This has always competed with BH&R for me in the middle of the pack, but lately I put it slightly ahead for being a somewhat deeper experience, even if the production has always felt a little hollow to me.)

5. Black Holes & Revelations (In many ways the quintessential Muse album. Their Moving Pictures or A Night At The Opera.)

6. The 2nd Law (This album came out a few months after I first got into Muse. Madness hit number 8 on the Billboard hot 100 and I never felt more in tune with the charts.)

7. Showbiz (The Radiohead comparisons were never fairer than on here, but they were also never really fair when the more obvious influence was Jeff Buckley.)

8. Will Of The People (Refreshing, fun, concise… sorry I prefer it when they’re a bit less safe, lol)

9. Simulation Theory (I love this album, played it to death when it came out, but that doesn’t change the fact that it’s the home of at least two of Muse’s least lovable songs. Luckily the alternate reality disc made this a special era for the band nonetheless.)

• Like 2

3 hours ago, J2112YYZ said:

You should try Drones

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

You should try Drones

Why? I've tried six albums and only liked one. I'm not going to spend more time listening to a band I didn't connect with much.

6 minutes ago, J2112YYZ said:

Why? I've tried six albums and only liked one. I'm not going to spend more time listening to a band I didn't connect with much.

Amen.

Sometimes a band clicks with me with revisits, but I had my moment with Muse. 

1 hour ago, J2112YYZ said:

Because I think it would be up your alley.

2 hours ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

Because I think it would be up your alley.

Say I do like it. Then the band would be 2 for 7 with me. That's not exactly getting them into the regular rotation.

2 hours ago, J2112YYZ said:

Say I do like it. Then the band would be 2 for 7 with me. That's not exactly getting them into the regular rotation.

Sure, I just think you might enjoy it, and if not, no harm no foul.

18 hours ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

I don’t really get that reaction to seeing them live, but to each their own I suppose.

Why don’t I do a ranking for the heck of it?

1. The Resistance (Over 10 years ago, someone on a different Internet forum recommended I try this to get into modern music since I was a snotty classic rock snob who loved Queen. One of the most important music recommendations I’ve ever received)

2. Origin Of Symmetry (The magic here is in its ambition. The songs are great of course, but they’re great because they take uncalculated risks in structure and tone and harmony and melody and succeed in the strangest ways, plus the riffs are just killer)

3. Drones (I got this album on vinyl a day before the official release date by calling my local record store and asking them to save me a copy till I got back from the family vacation I was set to leave for on release day. They said “I’ll do you one better, if you can stop by today I’ll sell it to you now.”)

4. Absolution (This has always competed with BH&R for me in the middle of the pack, but lately I put it slightly ahead for being a somewhat deeper experience, even if the production has always felt a little hollow to me.)

5. Black Holes & Revelations (In many ways the quintessential Muse album. Their Moving Pictures or A Night At The Opera.)

6. The 2nd Law (This album came out a few months after I first got into Muse. Madness hit number 8 on the Billboard hot 100 and I never felt more in tune with the charts.)

7. Showbiz (The Radiohead comparisons were never fairer than on here, but they were also never really fair when the more obvious influence was Jeff Buckley.)

8. Will Of The People (Refreshing, fun, concise… sorry I prefer it when they’re a bit less safe, lol)

9. Simulation Theory (I love this album, played it to death when it came out, but that doesn’t change the fact that it’s the home of at least two of Muse’s least lovable songs. Luckily the alternate reality disc made this a special era for the band nonetheless.)

Muse live - :imo: - rule !! 💥 :pirate:

I’ve seen them 4 times, 1st time OOS tour in 2001.

Most recent last summer 2023 at MK Bowl (with Royal Blood and The Warning .. great Line-up… it’s rare to have 3 ace bands inc 2 ‘ support ‘ acts on the bill ) 

I thought they were excellent each & every time 👍😎:yes:

• Like 1

Muse live.......you just kind of have to give yourself over to the pomp.  i've watched.  it's essentially rock broadway.  i know this makes me sound pompous but there's a certain suspenion of belief to Muse in concert.

it's like seeing phantom of the opera live.  flash and pomp.  and if you can't ease yourself in......you are gonna hate it.

just my 2 cents.

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 2

21 hours ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

You should try Drones

Drones rules.

and BTW.....i don't not get the whole thing of if i like this i'll only like 2 albums outta whatever?

SO WHAT?????? it's two albums you didn't enjoy before.  now you do!!!

i'd say on the whole i only maybe love 7 outta 10 swift albums.

but i love what i do.  it can be the same if you only love 2 albums of an artist.

you don't need to adore a whole band.  jeez y'all are negative sometimes:biggrin: :rantoff:

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 2

31 minutes ago, bluefox4000 said:

Muse live.......you just kind of have to give yourself over to the pomp.  i've watched.  it's essentially rock broadway.  i know this makes me sound pompous but there's a certain suspenion of belief to Muse in concert.

it's like seeing phantom of the opera live.  flash and pomp.  and if you can't ease yourself in......you are gonna hate it.

just my 2 cents.

Mick

Oh I was fully in the first minute I saw Live At Rome Olympic Stadium. Dancers drinking gasoline, trapeze artists in flying lightbulbs, a massive toy robot running around on stage, and all set to some of the most insane music I’d ever heard! In the words of Neil, “that’s entertainment.” Lol

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

Oh I was fully in the first minute I saw Live At Rome Olympic Stadium. Dancers drinking gasoline, trapeze artists in flying lightbulbs, a massive toy robot running around on stage, and all set to some of the most insane music I’d ever heard! In the words of Neil, “that’s entertainment.” Lol

it isnt for everyone.  but if you get you really get it.

it's similar to an artist like Meat Loaf.  he's very pomp.  and Camp in places as well.

and there's NO inbetween either.  I've never heard man....Meats alright.  it's always i hate that dude or he's my everything, lol

Mick

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, bluefox4000 said:

Drones rules.

and BTW.....i don't not get the whole thing of if i like this i'll only like 2 albums outta whatever?

SO WHAT?????? it's two albums you didn't enjoy before.  now you do!!!

i'd say on the whole i only maybe love 7 outta 10 swift albums.

but i love what i do.  it can be the same if you only love 2 albums of an artist.

you don't need to adore a whole band.  jeez y'all are negative sometimes:biggrin: :rantoff:

Mick

That's just how I am as a listener. I'm not going to bother with a band if I dislike more from them than I like. What's the point of listening to a band who overall you don't care for. Liking 7 out of 10 albums means you like the majority of their material.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, J2112YYZ said:

That's just how I am as a listener. I'm not going to bother with a band if I dislike more from them than I like. What's the point of listening to a band who overall you don't care for. Liking 7 out of 10 albums means you like the majority of their material.

i see your point....but hey i only like 3 pearl jam albums and they are in pretty regular rotation and they've had like 90 shit ones (IMO) lol.

but i feel you.

Mick

• Like 2

I mean, Live is generally a bad band but their first two albums are great.

Same with Iggy Pop until his late career resurgence.

I'm happier for liking those few good albums from each 

Edited by Union 5-3992
  • Like 2

33 minutes ago, Union 5-3992 said:

I mean, Live is generally a bad band but their first two albums are great.

Same with Iggy Pop until his late career resurgence.

I'm happier for liking those few good albums from each 

yea we agree.  if a band/artists has ONE album i like overall i'll just stick to it.  i won't really break my back trying to love them as a whole if i'm not feeling it.

Mick

• Like 1

Starset

1. Horizons

2. Vessels

3. Transmissions

4. Divisions

Divisions is just awful.

Enjoying the band but, like Breaking Benjamin, they're incredibly formulaic. Horizons and Vessels just happen to do it very well