I'm going to interview Hugh Syme!

Rod in Toronto

I approached Hugh Syme and he agreed to do an interview early next week. On the call to discuss how the interview would go on, he gave me this gem: "We're all feeding off of the carcass of the music industry, and not everyone has the luxury of having Rush and Dream Theater as clients - bands that appreciate the smell of ink on paper". I loved this line, and he promised to say the same during the interview. If you have any questions for him, please post them here! I'm really excited about this interview, and we bonded quite well during our quick chat. I usually prepare myself for the interviews, but I felt like our chat could have been IT - I wouldn't need to do any preparation for this one.

Anyway, send me your questions if you want!

• Like 13

How much of the process is him and how much is the artists'? Does he ask if they have ideas or start with his own? What would he do if Geddy, for example, thought one thing, but Alex another?

Sounds cool, enjoy! We look forward to reading/hearing the results.

• Like 3

What are some of his favorite album covers that he didn't design? Or who are some of his favorite peers?

What is his favorite album cover that he did design!

How does he come up with ideas for new works? How quickly does he settle on an idea?

And lastly, if asked to do a Rush Christmas Card, what would it look like off the top of his head?

This is super cool for you Rod! I look forward to reading this one! :)

• Like 2

Thank you both... I'm extra excited because of how well we bonded over the phone. I mentioned to him that I have a day job, and he also has one. He's also working on an expo for his work here in Toronto, so it will be nice to give him a shoutout on that. I want to ask him about playing on a Rush album too, and how the idea of the starman came to be. He gave me a great explanation of the T4E cover, totally unsolicited. This is going to be one for the books!!!
  • Like 1

The airplane wing on the P/G album cover, was that intended to represent KAL Flight 007? I recall that the plane was shot down at the same time the album was being produced. Not sure if there's a connection, but that was my impression at the time.

Have been hoping to ask this question since April 1984. ;)

Edited by grep

My question(s) for Hugh would be:

How do you personally deal with "living in the Limelight"? Has it been a positive experience? Do you have any "crazy Rush fan" experiences to share?

• Like 1

Wow, that is a neat opportunity! I would be interested to know more details about how he made the 2112 opening sounds. Supposedly it was an ARP Odyssey synth with an Echoplex delay. It would be great to know which exact synth and delay he used, and how many tracks they combined to make that intro (my guess is four). If it's an ARP Odyssey, then it would be awesome if he could confirm if it was a Mk I revision (white color scheme) or the relatively-new Mk II revision (black/gold).

These are the kinds of details that nobody on the internet seems to be 100% certain about, so final confirmation would be fantastic!

Which album covers were the most artistically satisfying and most logistically challenging, respectively?

Along these lines, which album cover that he feels he really nailed it? And which album cover, in retrospect, that he wish he could do over or that he was disappointed with?
  • Like 2

When/how do you decide for an album cover to be either pretty simple (like Hold Your Fire, Counterparts) or have a good amount of detail and hidden meanings (like Moving Pictures, Clockwork Angels)?

When/how do you decide for an album cover to be either pretty simple (like Hold Your Fire, Counterparts) or have a good amount of detail and hidden meanings (like Moving Pictures, Clockwork Angels)?

I'll ask. He told me that the HYF one was developed by him and Neil together. That was a LONG call, and I'm glad it went so well. The interview is going to be killer!!!!

• Like 2

Rod is slowly becoming a TRF legend! :givebeer:

LOL, "becoming".

Just kidding...it's been quite a ride since I started doing these interviews. I don't think that a chat with Geddy or Alex will ever happen though...

• Like 4

Rod is slowly becoming a TRF legend! :givebeer:

LOL, "becoming".

Just kidding...it's been quite a ride since I started doing these interviews. I don't think that a chat with Geddy or Alex will ever happen though...

Would that be the pinnacle?

I'm aware that Hugh Syme has also collaborated as both keyboardist and songwriter from 1973 to 1980 with Ian Thomas. This was known as the Ian Thomas Band. Neil Peart discusses this in the forward for Hugh Syme's book here.

Ian has posted footage with the band from a TV special to promote his 1975 album Delights, which can be viewed here.

Another musician/graphic designer (and also does photography) that comes to mind is Max Crace.

Crace's career began when he played drums with Austin musician Van Wilks. Then he did graphic design work and photography for guitarist Eric Johnson and other's and also does concert photography.

A 1997 interview from The Austin Chronicle with Max Crace here.

Edited by RushFanForever
  • Like 2

One from me, who came up with the arrangement for'tears' and why was those specific instruments from the mellotron chosen?

How about that one creepy Mellotron flute note before the second chorus? That note makes the entire song!

I’d love to know more about Tears and his Mellotron usage too. My guess is that the sound choices were just dictated by him having the “standard” tape frame with flutes, violins, and cello.