The 2019-20 NHL Thread

blackhawkrush

Congrats, Islanders! :dweez: :dweez: I can't stand the Flyers. Was hoping to see Varlamov in goal as I found out today he had a short stint with our Hershey Bears in 2010 but it looks like it worked out for you anyway! ;) Edited by blueschica
  • Like 1

Isles made sure they won, came out hard. Congrats to them. I get the bitterness Lerxt1990 but mine is for Dallas :16ton: I got a bit ticked off at the crew on NBCSN today when they acted like Joel Kiviranta is the next Great One :smash: One hat trick and he's another Gretzky? Get real. Reaves got suspended for that nasty hit and he should. I hope it will be a rough series for Dallas, Vegas has a lot bigger guys. Yeah, I''m being petty :coy: .

One item I noticed, looks like the NHL is going forward with a plan for team members families to be able to come to the games. It will require some isolation but those in Canada are awaiting the government's approval. U.S families not so sure just yet. TBD

https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/29819531/canadian-citizens-join-nhl-bubble-conference-finals-others-await-clearance

• Like 1

Congrats, Islanders! :dweez: :dweez: I can't stand the Flyers. Was hoping to see Varlamov in goal as I found out today he had a short stint with our Hershey Bears in 2010 but it looks like it worked out for you anyway! ;)

Feeling is mutual. We put photos of Cindy in the urinals and celebrated when you didn't make the playoffs :)

Happy for NY in the sense that they have sucked for so long their fans deserve it.

And f**k Leon Stickle lol.

• Like 1

"John Tavares passed on signing with NYI, SJS, DAL, TBL, and BOS to take less money with the Leafs. Since then, those 5 teams have advanced to their Conference Finals."

• Like 1

"John Tavares passed on signing with NYI, SJS, DAL, TBL, and BOS to take less money with the Leafs. Since then, those 5 teams have advanced to their Conference Finals."

He probably knows the Knights are going to win the Cup anyway. :eyeroll:

Isles-semis2020.jpg

Sorry lerxt! As you can see, it's been awhile since we've reached the conference finals, so I get to boast a little.

This is a 70s grudge... lol. With no Caps and especially no Penguins Im happy to see them go from bottom seed to winning.

The Isles were the 7th seed out of 12 in the East at the start of the playoffs. We beat the 10th seeded Panthers in the qualifying round. Once the qualifiers and round robins were done, the Isles re-seeded to 6th out of 8, and we beat the 3rd seeded Caps, then the 1st seeded Flyers. We were underdogs as far as seeding goes for the last two rounds, but we were never the bottom seed (though we were the lowest surviving seed in this past round).

• Like 1

Isles-semis2020.jpg

Sorry lerxt! As you can see, it's been awhile since we've reached the conference finals, so I get to boast a little.

This is a 70s grudge... lol. With no Caps and especially no Penguins Im happy to see them go from bottom seed to winning.

The Isles were the 7th seed out of 12 in the East at the start of the playoffs. We beat the 10th seeded Panthers in the qualifying round. Once the qualifiers and round robins were done, the Isles re-seeded to 6th out of 8, and we beat the 3rd seeded Caps, then the 1st seeded Flyers. We were underdogs as far as seeding goes for the last two rounds, but we were never the bottom seed (though we were the lowest surviving seed in this past round).

Ah right, thanks. Don't push it though, you're the Mets of the NHL and I only want you to win bc I dont want Vegas to win, and f-ck Tampa.

Isles-semis2020.jpg

Ah right, thanks. Don't push it though, you're the Mets of the NHL and I only want you to win bc I dont want Vegas to win, and f-ck Tampa.

That's fair!

I'll say this, that last series was well played and played clean. I don't remember a cheap shot from either team.

• Like 2

I like what I'm seeing from the Stars after game one. Dallas defense is not letting the Knights run amok, basically it's one and done as far as chances for Vegas, and since they don't have pure goal scorers, it makes it tough for them to capitalize. And Stars forwards are making it difficult for the Knights to start an attack. I also liked Dallas' physical play, which seemed to present a huge problem for the bigger Vegas team. So far, so good...
  • Like 1

I wouldn't mind the Isles winning since it has been so long for them. Can't say the same for Dallas, so Vegas has to do better. Just looked flat the last few games with Vancouver and tonight was more of the same. Fleury had bad luck on that first shot so he did his part, the rest of the team didn't come to play.
  • Like 1

Isles-semis2020.jpg

Congrats for your Isles pulling it off in a game 7! The Flyers did try to make it interesting. We down here were hoping both clubs would be busy knocking the stuffing out of each other before going up against Tampa.

The Lighting have been doing a good job of exorcizing demons in this surreal NHL playoff season. We face another Demon in coach Trotz starting tonight. I'm sure you will remember he was the coach of the Caps who sent me Bolts packing in game 7 2018 and go on to win it all. Trotz is an excellent coach and the way he has turned the Islanders around is quite frankly impressive! I am looking forward to to see a great series! Hopefully my team will end up on top!

Only time will tell...

Let's GO Lightning!!

• Like 2

Isles-semis2020.jpg

Congrats for your Isles pulling it off in a game 7! The Flyers did try to make it interesting. We down here were hoping both clubs would be busy knocking the stuffing out of each other before going up against Tampa.

The Lighting have been doing a good job of exorcizing demons in this surreal NHL playoff season. We face another Demon in coach Trotz starting tonight. I'm sure you will remember he was the coach of the Caps who sent me Bolts packing in game 7 2018 and go on to win it all. Trotz is an excellent coach and the way he has turned the Islanders around is quite frankly impressive! I am looking forward to to see a great series! Hopefully my team will end up on top!

Only time will tell...

Let's GO Lightning!!

This series should be fun to watch for sure - playoff hockey is the best!

• Like 1

So my pick to win between the Lightening and the Islanders will be the Bolts.

I foresee the Bolts and the Golden Knights for the Stanley Cup.

Peace

• Like 2

Out of the four remaining N.H.L. teams, I would like to see Tampa Bay win the Stanley Cup. They deserve to. In the Western Conference Final between Vegas, and Dallas, I haven't been sure if I want to see Vegas in the Stanley Cup Final, again, because of them being an N.H.L. expansion team. Edited by Derek19
  • Like 1

Out of the four remaining N.H.L. teams, I would like to see Tampa Bay win the Stanley Cup. They deserve to. In the Western Conference Final between Vegas, and Dallas, I haven't been sure if I want to see Vegas in the Stanley Cup Final, again, because of them being an N.H.L. expansion team.

I have to agree with you! I would like the Stanley Cup series to be between me Bolts & Vegas! With that said Tampa has to make it through the Isles! Trotz has got his squad dialed in! However to me, it seems no matter who hoists the cup this season will go down in history as the "Cup that kinda wasn't" for lack of a better term (Fluke!)... The main thing that will be focused on this surreal season by historians? The unprecedented times and all that happened in regards to that matter.

• Like 2

However to me, it seems no matter who hoists the cup this season will go down in history as the "Cup that kinda wasn't" for lack of a better term (Fluke!)... The main thing that will be focused on this surreal season by historians? The unprecedented times and all that happened in regards to that matter.

No, this Cup will be earned. It won't be a fluke.

The league almost finished the regular season -- there were only 11-13 games left to play. When play resumed they made up for those missing games by expanding the playoff teams from 16 to 24 so that those teams who were just outside of a playoff spot had a chance to get in. Even some teams like Montreal and Chicago who were several points out got a chance. The Isles, for instance were one point out of a playoff spot (with games in hand on teams ahead of them) but were IN a playoff spot if you went by percentage points. So, the qualifying round was a nice compromise for those teams who could have made it into the playoffs had they been able to finish the regular season (and even a few teams who probably wouldn't have).

I don't think the Isles will get past the Lightning. They certainly could -- any team that plays solid defense and scores timely goals has a shot against anybody -- but the Bolts are on a different level than the three teams they've played so far (FLA, WSH, PHI). But let's say the Isles win the Cup -- they will have played and won FIVE playoff rounds instead of the normal four. And no matter who wins it, they will have lived in a "bubble" for two months away from their families, and that's tough, especially since a lot of these guys have young kids at home.

The people who think that this wont a legit Cup win is probably a fan of one of the teams who didn't win it. This Cup won't have an * next to it.

• Like 4

However to me, it seems no matter who hoists the cup this season will go down in history as the "Cup that kinda wasn't" for lack of a better term (Fluke!)... The main thing that will be focused on this surreal season by historians? The unprecedented times and all that happened in regards to that matter.

The league almost finished the regular season -- there were only 11-13 games left to play. When play resumed they made up for those missing games by expanding the playoff teams from 16 to 24 so that those teams who were just outside of a playoff spot had a chance to get in. Even some teams like Montreal and Chicago who were several points out got a chance. The Isles, for instance were one point out of a playoff spot (with games in hand on teams ahead of them) but were IN a playoff spot if you went by percentage points. So, the qualifying round was a nice compromise for those teams who could have made it into the playoffs had they been able to finish the regular season (and even a few teams who probably wouldn't have).

I don't think the Isles will get past the Lightning. They certainly could -- any team that plays solid defense and scores timely goals has a shot against anybody -- but the Bolts are on a different level than the three teams they've played so far (FLA, WSH, PHI). But let's say the Isles win the Cup -- they will have played and won FIVE playoff rounds instead of the normal four. And no matter who wins it, they will have lived in a "bubble" for two months away from their families, and that's tough, especially since a lot of these guys have young kids at home.

The people who think that this wont a legit Cup win is probably a fan of one of the teams who didn't win it. This Cup won't have an * next to it.

Well said!

Maybe it's just the weirdness of it all that affects my perspective. I guess the fact that I am a season ticket holder and not being able to support my team in person has altered my veiw. I know it's like I can't support in person on road trips (which the travel grind of the playoffs is also gone this year) but all this still feels very bizarrer to me! I know the teams are skating their ass off and playing good hockey! However on a personal level it still seems something is missing...

Lets GO Lightning!!!

Edited by Crimsonmistymemory
  • Like 2

Well said!

Maybe it's just the weirdness of it all that affects my perspective. I guess the fact that I am a season ticket holder and not being able to support my team in person has altered my veiw. I know it's like I can't support in person on road trips (which the travel grind of the playoffs is also gone this year) but all this still feels very bizarrer to me! I know the teams are skating their ass off and playing good hockey! However on a personal level it still seems something is missing...

Lets GO Lightning!!!

Come on. It's not like we stopped the season in November. Each team didn't play 10-15 games, that's all.
  • Like 2

Well said!

Lets GO Lightning!!!

Come on. It's not like we stopped the season in November. Each team didn't play 10-15 games, that's all.

You're not wrong! But it still seems to me something is missing...

Sorry that's just the way I feel...

TB-2 NYI-1

Maybe it's the piped in crowd noise as opposed to the real thing???

• Like 2