The 2019-20 NHL Thread

blackhawkrush

However to me, it seems no matter who hoists the cup this season will go down in history as the "Cup that kinda wasn't" for lack of a better term (Fluke!)... The main thing that will be focused on this surreal season by historians? The unprecedented times and all that happened in regards to that matter.

No, this Cup will be earned. It won't be a fluke.

The league almost finished the regular season -- there were only 11-13 games left to play. When play resumed they made up for those missing games by expanding the playoff teams from 16 to 24 so that those teams who were just outside of a playoff spot had a chance to get in. Even some teams like Montreal and Chicago who were several points out got a chance. The Isles, for instance were one point out of a playoff spot (with games in hand on teams ahead of them) but were IN a playoff spot if you went by percentage points. So, the qualifying round was a nice compromise for those teams who could have made it into the playoffs had they been able to finish the regular season (and even a few teams who probably wouldn't have).

I don't think the Isles will get past the Lightning. They certainly could -- any team that plays solid defense and scores timely goals has a shot against anybody -- but the Bolts are on a different level than the three teams they've played so far (FLA, WSH, PHI). But let's say the Isles win the Cup -- they will have played and won FIVE playoff rounds instead of the normal four. And no matter who wins it, they will have lived in a "bubble" for two months away from their families, and that's tough, especially since a lot of these guys have young kids at home.

The people who think that this wont a legit Cup win is probably a fan of one of the teams who didn't win it. This Cup won't have an * next to it.

Well said!

Maybe it's just the weirdness of it all that affects my perspective. I guess the fact that I am a season ticket holder and not being able to support my team in person has altered my veiw. I know it's like I can't support in person on road trips (which the travel grind of the playoffs is also gone this year) but all this still feels very bizarrer to me! I know the teams are skating their ass off and playing good hockey! However on a personal level it still seems something is missing...

Lets GO Lightning!!!

Come on. It's not like we stopped the season in November. Each team didn't play 10-15 games, that's all.

You're not wrong! But it still seems to me something is missing...

Sorry that's just the way I feel...

TB-2 NYI-1

Maybe it's the piped in crowd noise as opposed to the real thing???

Yeah, it reminds me of Star Trek's "Bread and Circuses." ;)
  • Like 1

However to me, it seems no matter who hoists the cup this season will go down in history as the "Cup that kinda wasn't" for lack of a better term (Fluke!)... The main thing that will be focused on this surreal season by historians? The unprecedented times and all that happened in regards to that matter.

The league almost finished the regular season -- there were only 11-13 games left to play. When play resumed they made up for those missing games by expanding the playoff teams from 16 to 24 so that those teams who were just outside of a playoff spot had a chance to get in. Even some teams like Montreal and Chicago who were several points out got a chance. The Isles, for instance were one point out of a playoff spot (with games in hand on teams ahead of them) but were IN a playoff spot if you went by percentage points. So, the qualifying round was a nice compromise for those teams who could have made it into the playoffs had they been able to finish the regular season (and even a few teams who probably wouldn't have).

I don't think the Isles will get past the Lightning. They certainly could -- any team that plays solid defense and scores timely goals has a shot against anybody -- but the Bolts are on a different level than the three teams they've played so far (FLA, WSH, PHI). But let's say the Isles win the Cup -- they will have played and won FIVE playoff rounds instead of the normal four. And no matter who wins it, they will have lived in a "bubble" for two months away from their families, and that's tough, especially since a lot of these guys have young kids at home.

The people who think that this wont a legit Cup win is probably a fan of one of the teams who didn't win it. This Cup won't have an * next to it.

Well said!

Maybe it's just the weirdness of it all that affects my perspective. I guess the fact that I am a season ticket holder and not being able to support my team in person has altered my veiw. I know it's like I can't support in person on road trips (which the travel grind of the playoffs is also gone this year) but all this still feels very bizarrer to me! I know the teams are skating their ass off and playing good hockey! However on a personal level it still seems something is missing...

Lets GO Lightning!!!

Come on. It's not like we stopped the season in November. Each team didn't play 10-15 games, that's all.

TB-2 NYI-1

:LMAO:

• Like 1

Well said!

Lets GO Lightning!!!

TB-2 NYI-1

It was a bit surreal when the games started but I have to say as it has gone on, I don't really notice it as much as I thought it would. Most often it is when the teams score and then it seems strange.

Ouch, that was a thumping. Isles were having lots of shots go off the post that probably would have gone in any other game. We can say the Bolts are not rusty, in fact they may be like the proverbial freight train. But this is playoff hockey so anything can happen.

• Like 3

Now that's the Vegas team I wanted to see. Stars aren't going to win by 1 goal and playing keep away. Feel much better about this series, Dallas has their work cut out for them. Lehner is looking great, Dallas must be sweating buckets hoping Khudobin doesn't get hurt. Nice to know Fleury is there too.

Hope the Isles can give it a better try tonight, I think they will be a bit ticked and will come out hard. :popcorn:

• Like 1

Well said!

Lets GO Lightning!!!

TB-2 NYI-1

It was a bit surreal when the games started but I have to say as it has gone on, I don't really notice it as much as I thought it would. Most often it is when the teams score and then it seems strange.

Ouch, that was a thumping. Isles were having lots of shots go off the post that probably would have gone in any other game. We can say the Bolts are not rusty, in fact they may be like the proverbial freight train. But this is playoff hockey so anything can happen.

Anything Can Happen! :wub:

Edited by Crimsonmistymemory
  • Like 1

So are the Islanders cooked? (sorry, 1-0-0-1-0-0-1 . . .)

It was definitely a heartbreaker. The positive aspect for the Islanders was that they made it close this time. And they outshot the Lightning. Last change in the next games should help.
  • Like 1

I would expect to see the same if not more intensity of game 2 in game 3 from the Isles! There is still a lot of hockey yet to play in this series. Tampa has to stay in the drivers seat and avoid a "hang on" disposition!) Also of course play smart and ward off the injury bug :scared: which reared it's ugly little head regarding Brayden Point! Hopefully he will be able to return for game 3...

Lets GO Lightning!!!

• Like 1

Not giving up on the Knights just yet, Dallas is sneaky but eventually Vegas will figure Doby out and then he'll be expelliarmused... Trotz is going to get the Isles back in, I have a feeling. :popcorn: Edited by Rhyta
  • Like 1

If the New York Islanders would get more back in the Eastern Conference Final against Tampa Bay, I wasn't thinking of it. The New York Islanders won game three by beating Tampa Bay 5-3 on a go ahead goal to make it 4-3 late in the third period at exactly 3:25 left. I, and probably other people don't know what, and how the series is going to be. With the Western Conference Final between Dallas and Vegas, game four in their series is next by being tomorrow, and tomorrow night. Edited by Derek19
  • Like 1

Not giving up on the Knights just yet, Dallas is sneaky but eventually Vegas will figure Doby out and then he'll be expelliarmused...

I'm not one to believe in magic. :geddy:

But I sometimes have a second sight...I had a hunch the Isles would come back tonight and I was right. Glad they got back in the series. Now tomorrow Vegas better continue the trend. :cheerleader:

• Like 2

And the beat goes on for the Stars. :) Zebras tried everything to get Vegas that second goal. I don't like Perry, but how was that not interference when he got injured? And the blind bat was looking right at it! No worries, Knights have nobody to finish plays. I just hope they don't grab a natural goal scorer in the off season. P.S. Stone, are you all right? :P

Just goes to show, a few key pieces make all the difference! With the return of Point & Killorn helped me Bolts top the Isles 4-1 in game 4. Tampa now leads the series 3-1...

Let's GO Lightning!!!

:hockeygoon:

Looks like we may be even better friends in the next couple of weeks. :fistbump:
  • Like 1

Just goes to show, a few key pieces make all the difference! With the return of Point & Killorn helped me Bolts top the Isles 4-1 in game 4. Tampa now leads the series 3-1...

Let's GO Lightning!!!

Looks like we may be even better friends in the next couple of weeks. :fistbump:

Be careful what you wish for...

Edited by Crimsonmistymemory
  • Like 2

Let's GO Lightning!!!

Be careful what you wish for...

Oh yeah, I forgot about Maroon. :moon:

Or Schenn.. ;) Not Blues players anymore. :LOL:

Guess this playoff season is wrapping up for me, not so excited for the prospect of Stars and Tampa for the final. :sigh:

• Like 1

Guess this playoff season is wrapping up for me, not so excited for the prospect of Stars and Tampa for the final. :sigh:

I am sure Vegas will come back and make a series out of it...

I am sure Vegas will come back and make a series out of it...

Yeah, they're only one more Dallas injury away from winning this series. ;)