The LPs from your parents' collection that introduced you to music

Rutlefan

Abbey Road, Days of future Passed, John Denver, Odessa by The Bee Gees, and The Carpenters! Those of the ones that stick out in my mind.

My dad ruled the stereo, my mother never really had as big a love for music as he and I do, she likes it but didn’t have any really strong opinions. She just didn’t like anything too loud, LOL.

• Like 2

220px-Reddy-Woman.jpg

Helen Reddy

Beside the title track I Am Woman, which was all over the radio and TV, I remember This Masquerade and Where Is The Love in particular. My dad was in Vietnam at the time.

• Like 2

Ah, yes, I think we had some Helen Reddy in the house as well and I think we had both those carpenter albums.

I mean we had tons of music there was always music on, but the ones I mentioned were the ones that remind me the most of growing up .

• Like 1

I would NEVER have listened to anything in my parents collection on a point of principle.

Healthy attitude...if you’re a teen. Then you grow up and realize that what you grew up with was influenced by what your parents listened to. Teen me would never have predicted current 38 year old me listening to Steely Dan but here I am. I see where you’re coming from if they listened to Cetera era Chicago and Michael Bolton, though. :LOL:

Pearl Jam and Neil Young come to mind for me personally.

Edited by invisible airwave
  • Like 2

My late parents were part of Columbia House in the 70's and 80's, so they had random stuff sent to them.

However I recall my father had a few albums with women on the cover. Whether it was their beauty or musical talent, I'll never know.

Here's what I remember they had in their collection.

- Comedy album 'You Won't Believe Your Ears' (1963) by sound effects legend Wes Harrison

- Don Williams, Juice Newton, Kenny Rogers, and Tanya Tucker (country music)

- Bruce Springsteen and Johnny Rivers (roots rock & roll)

- Pat Benatar, Blondie, The Pointer Sisters, Lionel Richie, and Genesis (80's era) (pop rock)

- Nena (who had the 80's hit song "99 Red Balloons" (new wave rock)

- Melissa Manchester, ABBA, and The Carpenters, along with Susan Jacks (former Poppy Family member) (adult contemporary pop)

- Carola Häggkvist (Swedish pop singer-songwriter)

- George Benson (jazz music)

- Various compilation albums of 50's, 60's, and 70's rock, pop, and Motown r&b/soul music

- There was also a few K-Tel albums as well

I also remember the 1982 self-titled debut album by Aldo Nova with the hit song 'Fantasy', Thriller by Michael Jackson, I Love Rock 'n Roll by Joan Jett & the Blackhearts and Woman Out Of Control by Ray Parker Jr. being played at home as well.

Edited by RushFanForever
  • Like 3

I would NEVER have listened to anything in my parents collection on a point of principle.

Healthy attitude...if you’re a teen. Then you grow up and realize that what you grew up with was influenced by what your parents listened to. Teen me would never have predicted current 38 year old me listening to Steely Dan but here I am. I see where you’re coming from if they listened to Cetera era Chicago and Michael Bolton, though. :LOL:

For sure there was a lot of my parents' music that I had, and will never have, any interest in, but on top of those that I did like that I already listed, my dad was a huge Johnny Cash and Louis Armstrong fan, among other legends. How could I not like them just because my dad liked them? But I get it if your folks had terrible taste in music.

• Like 1

Joni Mitchell- Court and Spark

Billy Joel- 52nd Street

Led Zeppelin II

Saturday Night Fever soundtrack

Some great music right there.

Mick

Yeah, they divorced when I was six, right at the end of the ‘70s- but they had some really good stuff between them.

• Like 1

Three Dog Night... various though I remember the live album, Around the World with... the best.

Simon and Garfunkel... my folks might have had one of the early ones also but the only one I remember was Greatest Hits, which I wore out. I think I would have remembered Bookends and Bridge Over Troubled Water if they had them.

2001: A Space Odyssey soundtrack. The music is epic, of course, along with some pretty weird sh*t that I'm sure I just skipped over. I loved staring at the McCall artwork, just carried away by it. The cartwheel space station with the Pan Am shuttle blasting out of it was on the cover, and the gatefold interior art was of the sprawling moon base. Great stuff. Oddly, I also loved to listen to Graham Nash's Immigration Man while staring at the 2001 cover, though the song had nothing to do with space. I just liked the way they went together I guess.

Jean-Luc Ponty's Imaginary Voyage. I loved this LP, especially the opening track New Country and the space-y (there's the sci-fi geek in me again) Wandering on the Milky Way.

Jesus Christ Superstar soundtrack. Certain tracks mainly. Everything's Alright was really my favorite; still sounds great.

Elton John Greatest Hits. Along with Simon and Garfunkel's Greatest Hits, this was the soundtrack of my early home life. I was really obsessed with Elton's music for a good while, until he started getting into the disco stuff with Philadelphia Freedom and Don't Go Breaking My Heart. I didn't hate it but it was no longer my music. I started following my older brother's lead, leaving my parents' music behind. From Elton I went to Kiss, then Zeppelin, then Rush, then Aerosmith. Zeppelin, Rush and Aerosmith were the kings of my music taste for years, with other bands coming and going until I got into post-punk (I retroactively came to appreciate New Wave).

p.s. I was really really into Wings Over America around the same time I had discovered Zeppelin (my brother convinced me to spend my allowance on The Song Remains the Same for entirely selfish reasons, but it turned out well for me anyway); I think that came from my parents' collection but not so sure as I was buying my own music by then, or listening to my older brother's. In any event, Wings Over America was a pivotal collection of songs. I still get chills hearing that cover of Richard Cory.

Ah, yes Jesus Christ Superstar, the original soundtrack. Still one of my favorite pieces of music of all time. We also listened to a lot of Simon and Garfunkel.

• Like 2

My dad was really into Swing era music (from the late 30s to the early 50s basically), you know Glenn Miller, Benny Goodman, et. al. He was born in 1932 and btw is still alive (as is my mom). Most the albums folks have listed here have been part of my collection for the last 55 or so years. Anyway, I hated the thought of listening to my dad's music back then cuz it wasn't rock and roll man! When I got a little older I listened to a bunch of it and loved it. It's kind of the white man's precursor to early rock music. A lot of it is up tempo and fun. Gene Krupa who is from that era is one of Neil's all-time favorite drummers and I remember my dad raving about him way back then (with good reason).

Oh and btw, my mom is perhaps the most absolutely non-musical person in the history of the human race.

Edited by driventotheedge
  • Like 2

^ My dad was into this as well. Big Band, Swing, classic (and modern) Jazz, all that stuff. I never disliked it but definitely appreciate more now than when I was young.

Well of course it was when I was a teen lol........and you're just a pup I'm afraid, I don't think my parents would have been listening to Pearl Jam as they weren't even thought of then.......

Gene Krupa! I remember my dad coming home from a business trip to NYC and he had seen GK in a club in Greenwich Village. He also brought home the GK / Buddy Rich Drum Battle LP for me.
  • Like 4

Joni Mitchell- Court and Spark

Billy Joel- 52nd Street

Led Zeppelin II

Saturday Night Fever soundtrack

Thought of a few more:

Elton John- Goodbye Yellow Brick Road

George Harrison- All Things Must Pass

The Concert for Bangladesh

Neil Diamond- The Jazz Singer

• Like 2

Chicago's Greatest Hits

James Taylor's Greatest Hits

James Taylor - October Road

those are the three I remember best

• Like 2

Gene Krupa! I remember my dad coming home from a business trip to NYC and he had seen GK in a club in Greenwich Village. He also brought home the GK / Buddy Rich Drum Battle LP for me.

My older sister used to listen to Gene Krupa. She listened to him and Dave Brubeck.

• Like 2

Neil Diamond- The Jazz Singer

During the July 4th fireworks show I heard America from that album. I had forgotten what a great song it is.

From the film...

• Like 1