Post unpopular music opinions

Entre_Perpetuo

Metallica are ok but they are far from the best thrash metal band ever. But they hit the major leagues with deserving music, even though great music was overshadowed.

Anthrax are terrible.

Slayer are fine. They have a really wonderful dark sound that...here it gets unpopular...grew old before the 80s finished.

Megadeth are the best of the big thrash metal bands.

But Kreator, Death Angel, Testament, Mekong Delta, Exodus, Sepultura, Voivod, Cynic...all these bands deserve to be mentioned in the same breath and even more highly revered.

Basically, The Big Four has become such a negative label. It is almost as if metal heads are too scared too look outside the accepted greats.

Because Anthrax don't deserve that spot.

What's your problem with Anthrax?

I do think Testament is held in the same regard as Megadeth and Anthrax these days. They just started too late to be considered for the big four. By the time Testament started gaining popularity, grunge exploded and that was it for them. If there's a big five of thrash, Testament is surely number five.

Anthrax doesn't deserve that spot? They rose up along with the other three and helped to reinvent and popularize a genre. I love Testament but they never wrote anything game changing like Anthrax did with Among The Living. Testament has great stuff but there isn't one album from The Legacy through Ritual that was a groundbreaking album for the genre. Testament is in the exact spot they should be in within the thrash metal genre. A well respected band with a great catalog but never wrote anything with much innovation. How many drummers have copied Charlie Benante's of Anthrax rapid double bass drum kick? Just about every metal drummer that came after him.

I really hate to sell Testament short like this since I do love them. But there are real reasons why they aren't seen in the same light as the big four.

Anthrax?

I just...I dunno I never heard anything until recently. Like five years ago...and by then I had heard a lot of really great thrash. I just...I don't hear anything special. I've heard good things about recent albums.

But I tried again recently and I really found them a chore. To me it's like they don't exist.

What Anthrax have you heard? Have you ever given Spreading The Disease, Among The Living and Persistence Of Time a listen before? Maybe better thrash has come after that but for the time Anthrax was certainly one of the elite bands of the genre.

I mentioned before how great and influential Charlie Benante was when it came to his use of the blast beat. But the rest of the band are also very special. Scott Ian is one of the best rhythm guitarists in metal. A truly unique playing style and unmistakable tone. The same for bassist Frank Bello. Has a tone all his own. Dan Spitz had a number of great solos during his time with the band. And of course, Joey Belladonna who may just be the best singer from a technical standpoint that thrash has ever had. His ability to come up with great melodic hooks is as good as anyone in metal.

But yeah, they don't deserve their spot in the big four lol.

I will do another listen. Add them to the same list as Shadows Fall and System Of A Down. Three bands I always wished I liked more.

The rolling Stones are a sub par blues/rock band. that people just adore cause.......society says so.

Mick

So very wrong. People love their music because from 1965-1975 they made excellent music. Which society says that one should revere the Stones?

I'm confused as to how a society would influence my musical taste.

• Like 2

this thread went where one would epect, lol.

oh by the way........the who suck too.

Mick

I didn't come to like them till fairly recently. I enjoy their later stuff.

Aside from a few tracks, Tommy pretty much sucks.

• Like 1

Probably going to get crucified for this, but I think the Beatles are....well....okay.

I realise that they have this almost Godlike mystique in the musical canon, and that they were hugely influential, but I can't raise more than a lukewarm response to them...I quite like some of their songs, but am mystified at the legendary status they achieved.

Aside from a handful of tunes, I really don't feel they were that special

I know I'll get flamed for this, but you can't help how you feel.

also, imagine being deluded enough to think people pretend to like the stones, the who, etc. if I don't like a piece of art, that's on me, not the mythical "society" boogeyman. and all this coming from fans of queef theater!

where rush succeeds is that they have that innate knack for songwriting, the power pop sensibilities that enable the dipshit dokken and winger fans of TRF to still be able to get down to moving pictures alongside the people who know the groups rush ripped off Edited by bathory

here's an opinion: rush made a career off of doing dumbed down, poor man's versions of other groups' styles - namely yes, genesis...

Pretty much how I feel about the AFTK album.
  • Like 1

where rush succeeds is that they have that innate knack for songwriting, the power pop sensibilities that enable the dipshit dokken and winger fans of TRF to still be able to get down to moving pictures alongside the people who know the groups rush ripped off

ya know......i don't know if i totally Disagree with this.

It's kinnda true, lol

Mick

• Like 1

here's an opinion: rush made a career off of doing dumbed down, poor man's versions of other groups' styles - namely yes, genesis, and the police

this is what i meant to quote actually.

and see above.

Mick

"Dumbed down" and "poor man's" are hateful terms. Nothing positive. You guys feel about Rush the way I do about Green Day! Just admit you don't like 'em. :sarcastic:

• Like 1

where rush succeeds is that they have that innate knack for songwriting, the power pop sensibilities that enable the dipshit dokken and winger fans of TRF to still be able to get down to moving pictures alongside the people who know the groups rush ripped off

It's kinnda true, lol

Mick

Yeah, RUSH admits to borrowing heavily from their influences.
  • Like 1

here's an opinion: rush made a career off of doing dumbed down, poor man's versions of other groups' styles - namely yes, genesis, and the police

this is what i meant to quote actually.

and see above.

Mick

"Dumbed down" and "poor man's" are hateful terms. Nothing positive. You guys feel about Rush the way I do about Green Day! Just admit you don't like 'em. :sarcastic:

just Admit your upset Green day succeeded

"these guys'll sink......aw hell!!!" :rage: :rage: :rage: :rage: :rage: :rage: :rage: :rage:

:D

Mick

It's kinnda true, lol

Mick

Sure. But does that mean they are dumbed down? Or a poor man's version? Admiration is not implied by those terms.

• Like 1

It's kinnda true, lol

Mick

Sure. But does that mean they are dumbed down? Or a poor man's version? Admiration is not implied by those terms.

but that DOES give them hack status. i mean........your rules, lol

Mick

It's kinnda true, lol

Mick

Mick

No, not at all. Riffs, melodies, arrangements, concepts. Rush used their own and established a very recognizable and unique style.

Of course, all bands and artists borrow or out right steal, but good ol' Green Day does it at a very impressive rate.

Edited by ReRushed
  • Like 1

It's kinnda true, lol

Mick

Mick

No, not at all. Riffs, melodies, arrangements, concepts. Rush used their own and established a very recognizable and unique style.

Of course, all bands and artists borrow or out right steal, but good ol' Green Day does it at a very impressive rate.

yea sure but b they still had the nerve to even borrow right?

dirty hacks......i swear ya need to wear boots around you my friend.

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000

It's kinnda true, lol

Mick

Mick

Mick

I never stated that borrowing or stealing is totally discrediting to an artist's talent. I just said Green Day relies on it to the point they are hacks, sometimes to the point of plagiarizing. That's not a warning. See what I did there?

It's kinnda true, lol

Mick

Mick

Mick

I never stated that borrowing or stealing is totally discrediting to an artist's talent. I just said Green Day relies on it to the point they are hacks, sometimes to the point of plagiarizing. That's not a warning. See what I did there?

oh your so clever. just nowhere near Consistent.

Mick

It's kinnda true, lol

Mick

Mick

Mick

oh your so clever. just nowhere near Consistent.

Mick

Consistent? My standards in judging the music I enjoy are very consistent. You can think Rush are hacks on the level of Green Day all you want to prove to yourself that I don't have a point. But it's all out there if you listen.