Post unpopular music opinions

Entre_Perpetuo

Iced Earth are the greatest unheralded American metal band. Edited by Segue Myles
  • Like 1

Trivium is the finest and most enjoyable metal band of the millennium.

Green Day is a bad band.

Not at all.

They are hacks.

Who write their own songs, put on a spectacular live show, know their way with great melodies, are capable musicians, consistently strive to outdo themselves, are passionate about their message and have written some of the finest rock songs the 21st Century has yet seen...

Not being funny but they are better than many of the bands that inspired them. They follow a similar path to U2 but their music has been at a high level of quality for decades now and their message is better delivered, and more warmly received. Children for years now have been introduced to a world of rock and metal via their exciting and vibrant work. Hacks?

If so, they are one of the few to pull it off.

I've seen them live twice, barely a fan. And both occasions felt like events. Amazing live band.

Pull the other one.

And I have never bought a single record, or even desired too.

Glad you enjoy them. Still the hackiest of the hacks.

Metallica are ok but they are far from the best thrash metal band ever. But they hit the major leagues with deserving music, even though great music was overshadowed.

Anthrax are terrible.

Slayer are fine. They have a really wonderful dark sound that...here it gets unpopular...grew old before the 80s finished.

Megadeth are the best of the big thrash metal bands.

But Kreator, Death Angel, Testament, Mekong Delta, Exodus, Sepultura, Voivod, Cynic...all these bands deserve to be mentioned in the same breath and even more highly revered.

Basically, The Big Four has become such a negative label. It is almost as if metal heads are too scared too look outside the accepted greats.

Because Anthrax don't deserve that spot.

What's your problem with Anthrax?

I do think Testament is held in the same regard as Megadeth and Anthrax these days. They just started too late to be considered for the big four. By the time Testament started gaining popularity, grunge exploded and that was it for them. If there's a big five of thrash, Testament is surely number five.

Anthrax doesn't deserve that spot? They rose up along with the other three and helped to reinvent and popularize a genre. I love Testament but they never wrote anything game changing like Anthrax did with Among The Living. Testament has great stuff but there isn't one album from The Legacy through Ritual that was a groundbreaking album for the genre. Testament is in the exact spot they should be in within the thrash metal genre. A well respected band with a great catalog but never wrote anything with much innovation. How many drummers have copied Charlie Benante's of Anthrax rapid double bass drum kick? Just about every metal drummer that came after him.

I really hate to sell Testament short like this since I do love them. But there are real reasons why they aren't seen in the same light as the big four.

• Like 1

Metallica are ok but they are far from the best thrash metal band ever. But they hit the major leagues with deserving music, even though great music was overshadowed.

Anthrax are terrible.

Slayer are fine. They have a really wonderful dark sound that...here it gets unpopular...grew old before the 80s finished.

But Kreator, Death Angel, Testament, Mekong Delta, Exodus, Sepultura, Voivod, Cynic...all these bands deserve to be mentioned in the same breath and even more highly revered.

Basically, The Big Four has become such a negative label. It is almost as if metal heads are too scared too look outside the accepted greats.

I do think Testament is held in the same regard as Megadeth and Anthrax these days. They just started too late to be considered for the big four. By the time Testament started gaining popularity, grunge exploded and that was it for them. If there's a big five of thrash, Testament is surely number five.

Anthrax doesn't deserve that spot? They rose up along with the other three and helped to reinvent and popularize a genre. I love Testament but they never wrote anything game changing like Anthrax did with Among The Living. Testament has great stuff but there isn't one album from The Legacy through Ritual that was a groundbreaking album for the genre. Testament is in the exact spot they should be in within the thrash metal genre. A well respected band with a great catalog but never wrote anything with much innovation. How many drummers have copied Charlie Benante's of Anthrax rapid double bass drum kick? Just about every metal drummer that came after him.

I really hate to sell Testament short like this since I do love them. But there are real reasons why they aren't seen in the same light as the big four.

Anthrax?

I just...I dunno I never heard anything until recently. Like five years ago...and by then I had heard a lot of really great thrash. I just...I don't hear anything special. I've heard good things about recent albums.

But I tried again recently and I really found them a chore. To me it's like they don't exist.

I appreciate your argument for Anthrax over Testament. I wasn't alive then...I only know from my 2018 perspective I don't get Anthrax.

I also don't get stuff like Accept (Who I swear only get revered on this forum) or Saxon.

The rolling Stones are a sub par blues/rock band. that people just adore cause.......society says so.

Mick

Seriously...agree

• Like 1

Green Day is awesome BTW. American Idiot being probably in my top 10 albums of the 2000's.

so blow me, lol

Mick

To accuse Green Day of being hacks...they seriously don't sound like anyone else that came before them...

• Like 1

The rolling Stones are a sub par blues/rock band. that people just adore cause.......society says so.

Mick

Seriously...agree

i never heard one song that made me personally go..........oh i see it these guys are great. like seriously......not one.

maybe when they came out grant you.....but now they just sound like your typical bar band to me.

Mick

Green Day is awesome BTW. American Idiot being probably in my top 10 albums of the 2000's.

so blow me, lol

Mick

To accuse Green Day of being hacks...they seriously don't sound like anyone else that came before them...

i've noticed rerushed likes to use that word for literally ANYBODY he doesn't like, lol

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000

so blow me, lol

Mick

i've noticed rerushed likes to use that word for literally ANYBODY he doesn't like, lol

Mick

I hear nothing tacky or cheap about them. You can hear echoes of their future on their early stuff...hacks? They wrote for fun and grew like ALL bands do and people LOVE IT. They aren't lacking in ambition or skill either.

Honestly they are up their with the best of the best.

• Like 1

Anthrax are terrible.

I’ll take Anthrax over Metallica and Slayer 7 days a week. To me they are the most interesting and fun of the big four. ATL and StD are rightly looked at as classics, but SoE and PoT really aught to be up there too, especially PoT. For my money that one’s better than StD

• Like 1

Green Day > Nirvana

I love both but I doubt Nirvana would have stayed on form long

Green Day > Nirvana

I love both but I doubt Nirvana would have stayed on form long

I’d give them a couple more albums before Kurt gets frustrated and goes solo. Although, I heard somewhere he had wanted to work with R.E.M. after In Utero. That would’ve made things a lot more interesting imo.

Nirvana is probab;y one of my least fav bands in thsat grunge scene. Now don't get me wrongg Very important. but the albums kinda bore me.

and i don't feel Cobain was AMAZINGLY good.

average to very good......maybe, lol

Mick

• Like 2

Nirvana is probab;y one of my least fav bands in thsat grunge scene. Now don't get me wrongg Very important. but the albums kinda bore me.

Mick

Soubdgarden

Mother Love Bone

Temple Of The Dog

Alice In Chains

Screaming Trees

Pearl Jam

Green River

These just off the top of my head...all better

• Like 1

Mick

Soubdgarden

Mother Love Bone

Temple Of The Dog

Alice In Chains

Screaming Trees

Pearl Jam

Green River

These just off the top of my head...all better

i was just about to make a very indentical list, lol

yea all slaughter Nirvana.

Mick

• Like 1

so blow me, lol

Mick

Ah. The album where the hacks preach to the choir and attempt the be politically relevant and insightful.

As for the other point, I will pass. ;-)

• Like 1

so blow me, lol

Mick

Ah. The album where the hacks preach to the choir and attempt the be politically relevant and insightful.

As for the other point, I will pass. ;-)

yup. brilliant album.

Mick

• Like 1