What are you binge watching lately?

goose

Utopia, on Amazon. An edgier, more mature Stranger Things.

Really? Adding it to the list.

I am through episode 4 now, and a warning: The series is as tone deaf as can be in regards to the pandemic. There's some graphic stuff that comes across as heartlessly crass considering the real experiences people are having.

I love heartless and crass.

I watched the first episode and am not sure what is going on. I will watch a few more to see if it comes around.

I'll be curious to hear your thoughts. :cheers:

I was excited by your comment because I love stranger things. I will watch a few more episodes and I'll get back to you with comments. As a matter of fact, I might watch the first episode again because I don't think I was following it all that well.

The show was canceled after the first season. So, don't even waste your time.

I am through episode 4 now, and a warning: The series is as tone deaf as can be in regards to the pandemic. There's some graphic stuff that comes across as heartlessly crass considering the real experiences people are having.

I watched the first episode and am not sure what is going on. I will watch a few more to see if it comes around.

I was excited by your comment because I love stranger things. I will watch a few more episodes and I'll get back to you with comments. As a matter of fact, I might watch the first episode again because I don't think I was following it all that well.

Did you watch it?

Did you watch it?

Nope.

It only lasted one season, so why bother?

Did you watch it?

Nope.

it's interesting?

It is a US remake of a 2013-14 British series that went two seasons. The cancellation isn't based on quality, but rather on the series being so on the nose that it comes across as insensitive. From that standpoint it is fascinating to watch...how well they nailed how people respond.

The graphic violence is a bit over the top, too.

Going to rewatch Queens Gambit, I think. :)

I think you'll like it all over again!

We thought it was great -- Her Indoors even stayed awake for each episode! Great acting, great writing, good work at taking the interiority of chess and making it external and compelling, fun period costuming. Highly recommended for anybody debating wading in.

• Like 1

Did you watch it?

Nope.

it's interesting?

It is a US remake of a 2013-14 British series that went two seasons. The cancellation isn't based on quality, but rather on the series being so on the nose that it comes across as insensitive. From that standpoint it is fascinating to watch...how well they nailed how people respond.

I guess I prefer to watch tv shows differently. Once I hear a show was canceled after one season, I have zero interest. What's the point of getting invested in it when the show was never actually given a chance and there's probably no payoff to anything that happened?

Did you watch it?

Nope.

it's interesting?

I guess I prefer to watch tv shows differently. Once I hear a show was canceled after one season, I have zero interest. What's the point of getting invested in it when the show was never actually given a chance and there's probably no payoff to anything that happened?

If a show closes its story arc in a finale, there can still be payoff. I look at it as a mini-series or a movie broken up into episodes.

I can think of some shows that would have been perfect if they had stopped after one season.

• Like 2

I am not sure about this show.

Comparing it to Stranger Things, the characters in Stranger Things were more likable, the heroine especially. Some of it is also the nostalgia aspect of when Stranger Things was set. I think the biggest negative for Utopia is that, it is easier to buy a bunch of kids being into some type of fantasy that turns to reality then it is to watch a bunch of millennial's do it.

It is dark. I like that.

Comparing it to Stranger Things, the characters in Stranger Things were more likable, the heroine especially. Some of it is also the nostalgia aspect of when Stranger Things was set. I think the biggest negative for Utopia is that, it is easier to buy a bunch of kids being into some type of fantasy that turns to reality then it is to watch a bunch of millennial's do it.

It is dark. I like that.

It started off great, I think, and the premise grabbed me. It just hasn't moved along, and as you note, the characters aren't likeable enough to just hang out with.
  • Like 1

One of the oddest, completely mellow drama to grab me has been "Borgen".

First 2 seasons are solid television. I'm watching season 3 out of loyalty to the first two seasons, but it's not as good.

Basically, the Danish 'West Wing.'

It also has some of the best theme music I have ever heard.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7lqQy3CBGLk&feature=emb_title

Edited by chemistry1973
  • Like 1

It is dark. I like that.

So, Episode 7 was good. So that means Eps. 1, 2 and 7 were worth watching, while the rest felt like recycled uber-violent filler. Episode 8 should be interesting.

It is dark. I like that.

So, Episode 7 was good. So that means Eps. 1, 2 and 7 were worth watching, while the rest felt like recycled uber-violent filler. Episode 8 should be interesting.

I just finished episode 4.

It is dark. I like that.

Thoughts?

It is dark. I like that.

Thoughts?

I have a hard time making myself watch multiple episodes in a a row. In 4 days I have yet to sit down and watch episode 5. I think what puts me off is the characters themselves. The side we are meant to pull for, I don't really care about any of them.

The bad guys make no sense. What is the motivation? Greed? It doesn't seem like greed but then what? Some kind of greater control?

I guess some of the gaps can be filled in if I keep watching but the show feels all over the place really.

• Like 1

It is dark. I like that.

Thoughts?

I have a hard time making myself watch multiple episodes in a a row. In 4 days I have yet to sit down and watch episode 5. I think what puts me off is the characters themselves. The side we are meant to pull for, I don't really care about any of them.

The bad guys make no sense. What is the motivation? Greed? It doesn't seem like greed but then what? Some kind of greater control?

I guess some of the gaps can be filled in if I keep watching but the show feels all over the place really.

So I guess some of the gaps get filled in and they had intended to continue the series. Permanent cliff hanger.

I am not sorry I watched it but it would be nice if they had tied things up a bit better.

• Like 1

I think what puts me off is the characters themselves. The side we are meant to pull for, I don't really care about any of them.

For me it's worse than not care...I actively dislike most of them. The one character worth rooting (blondie turn goth girl) for was randomly offed by Jessica in episode two or three.

Yeah, those gaps get filled in in episodes 7 and 8. Like I mentioned, I found episodes 3 through 6 totally unsatisfying, but 7 and 8 ties things together a bit more.
  • Like 1

I think what puts me off is the characters themselves. The side we are meant to pull for, I don't really care about any of them.

For me it's worse than not care...I actively dislike most of them. The one character worth rooting (blondie turn goth girl) for was randomly offed by Jessica in episode two or three.

Yeah, those gaps get filled in in episodes 7 and 8. Like I mentioned, I found episodes 3 through 6 totally unsatisfying, but 7 and 8 ties things together a bit more.

That is pretty much how I felt.
  • Like 1

Watching some best/worst songs lists on this Youtube channel:

http://www.youtube.c...DbA-BakdJdjaEsw

Currently watching this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fObqhA5DqS4

YouTube rabbit holes make up some of my favorite viewing. :ebert:

Kiss is on here as well as that Tommy Shaw song from Remo Williams and that *other* Sir Elton duet with George Michael, Wrap it Up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FccXJ33REQ

• Like 1