RRHOF 2017 list - let the complaints fly

HemiBeers

Aside from all the musicians who haven’t even been nominated, putting on my “who sells or sold records” hat, I’d have to pick Bon Jovi, Dire Straits, the Cars, Nina Simone, and Depeche Mode. The last one is a personal favourite and I really don’t expect them to get it. LL will get in instead.

Link Wray was a guitar master, as was Rosetta Tharpe- they do merit consideration. Simone- c'mon. She's a huge star.

The Meters brought the funk before it was commonly brought. The Neville brothers were members.

Nina Simone is not a huge star. She is/was a talented singer, but was never all that well known.

Link Wray was a guitar master, as was Rosetta Tharpe- they do merit consideration. Simone- c'mon. She's a huge star.

The Meters brought the funk before it was commonly brought. The Neville brothers were members.

Nina Simone is not a huge star. She is/was a talented singer, but was never all that well known.

Then you’ll be happy to hear Bon Jovi is also nominated. Not very artistic, but well known enough. I’d rather listen to Nina.

Then you’ll be happy to hear Bon Jovi is also nominated. Not very artistic, but well known enough. I’d rather listen to Nina.

Why would Bon Jovi being nominated make me happy?

I simply pointed out the fact that 9 out of 10 people have no idea who Nina Simone is. Settle down.

Edited by Mithrandir
  • Like 1

The Snub List

Not sure exactly how up to date this is, but it looked pretty accurate.

http://www.futureroc...e_Snub_List.php

My most deserving:

The Doobie Bros

ELP

The Moody Blues

King Crimson

Dick Dale

Carole King

Jethro Tull

Motorhead

Pat Benatar

Thin Lizzy

Edited by HemiBeers
  • Like 1

My personal 'who the f**k are these people?' list include:

Nina Simone

Link Wray

Nina Simone is probably the most underrated jazz and blues vocalist of the 20th century. She was also a civil rights activist and refused to pay her taxes because of US involvement in Vietnam. She tried coming back to the US, but once she learned there was a warrant, she settled in France. Check out Nina Simone At Newport, Pastel Blues, Wild Is The Wind, and A Single Woman. All of those albums are definitive for her career.

I know that Link Wray made most of the modern and classic rock we all love by popularizing the use of power chords. You wouldn't have Iron Man without Link Wray. I'm actually surprised he's NOT in the HOF.

As far as the list goes, it's not THAT bad of a list. From the list presented, I'd like to see these get in:

Eurythmics

Judas Priest

Moody Blues

Radiohead

Nina Simone

Kate Bush

Bon Jovi

The Cars

Dire Straits

I still think the RRHOF is a f***ing joke, but it's nice to see bands and artists get the recognition they deserve. Knowing that I got to see Rush, Yes, and Genesis all go in after waiting so long is wonderful, but I couldn't care less about whatever the RRHOF claims to stand for.

The Snub List

Not sure exactly how up to date this is, but it looked pretty accurate.

http://www.futureroc...e_Snub_List.php

My most deserving:

The Doobie Bros

ELP

The Moody Blues

King Crimson

Dick Dale

Carole King

Jethro Tull

Motorhead

Pat Benatar

Thin Lizzy

It's a shame that some of the most experimental and progressive acts (i.e, the majority of the progressive rock movement) has been snubbed. For a band like King Crimson, ELP, or Jethro f***ing Tull to be snubbed consistently for 20+ years tells you that the people who vote for nominees don't know jack shit about music. They look at how many records get sold and that's it.

Edited by Oracle

Shame on them for no Soundgarden just after Cornell dies and since he inducted Heart in 2013. Then again, Cornell, Bennington and George Michael didn’t make the cover of Rolling Stone with their death and with Michael Jackson’s daughter on the cover instead of the latter so I’m not surprised. What a big slap in the face. f**k you, Jann Wenner.

When you look at some of the bands on the list who still haven't made it in yet like Priest, Moody Blues, Dire Straits and The Cars. I have no problem with them holding off Soungarden's nomination for a few years. They should certainly get in at some point.

No problem with Cars and Straits though. Been wanting Cars in there for many years.

• Like 1

I don't accept bands with a low number of albums.

The cars - 6 albums

Rag against the machine - 4 albums

Cmon man. Rush did 4 albums in about 3 years.

Impact matters more than albums. Hendrix had 3 before he died and he more than earned his place in Cleveland.

I give an artist a pass because of death. Besides, Hendrix could have stopped entirely and justified his induction. The cars and Rag made the choice to do few albums.

It could be argued that Chris Cornell and Matt Cameron, as individuals, are more deserving than Soundgarden due to their more prolific output during Soundgarden's hiatus. I think that Soundgarden gets in eventually, but I could see them trying to 'capitalize' on Cornell's death by inducting him sooner.

At some point, they'll run out of obscure artists and be faced with inducting fluff pop like Brittany Spears and Christina Aguillera.

• Like 1

I don't accept bands with a low number of albums.

The cars - 6 albums

Rag against the machine - 4 albums

Cmon man. Rush did 4 albums in about 3 years.

Impact matters more than albums. Hendrix had 3 before he died and he more than earned his place in Cleveland.

Quality over quantity. And I think the Cars need to be in for sure.

Edited by Wil1972

I am opining based on believing that the HoF should be just that, A HoF, not a Hall of Good . I am not taking into account those artists already in the HoF.

Bon Jovi - Not HoF to me. Just shows what a few monster albums and singles can do. Bon Jovi was mega-popular for a short time frame, but the fact that they dominated during that time counts for something to many, but not me.

The Cars - Great band. Great choice

Dire Straits - See Bon Jovi. Although Knopfler is awesome

The Moody Blues - Should have been in years ago.

Nina Simone - Never listened to her so i cannot comment

Here were all the nominees:

Rage Against the Machine - Nope. Limited run of excellence

Eurythmics - Nope. Good band, not great

Radiohead - I think that they are one of the most over rated groups of all time. But I guess they should probably be in the Hall.

Judas Priest - Long overdue. A f***ing travesty that they are not in.

Kate Bush - Even though she sings my all time favorite song in "Wuthering Heights" she is not Hall worthy. Spots of brilliance, but overall simply good.

Depeche Mode - Great in their genre, but hall worthy? Toss up. i would vote no.

J. Geils Band - Nope. Solid band, but not great.

LL Cool J - i am not that big of a Rap fan, so i don't really know where he stands in the rap music world as far as greatness goes.

MC5 - I never listened to them. Because of their importance to the rock genre, maybe.

The Meters - Never listened to them. No comment

Rufus featuring Chaka Khan - Hell no.

Link Wray - Maybe for his one massive song, "Rumble"? other than that why?

The Zombies - Nope. another good band, that's all.

Edited by Mithrandir
  • Like 1

THE CARS are in!!!!!!!

Nice. Ocasek deserves it. But so is Bon Jovi... :facepalm:

Better him than a rap group. Although I do think the Zombies should be in. Glad to see the Moodies and the Cars in.

Edited by Wil1972

THE CARS are in!!!!!!!

Third time was the charm! :sundog: :notworthy: :sundog: :cheers: I'm a happy camper!

Edited by librarian
  • Like 3