• Like 5

The Boxer

America

Bridge Over Troubled Water

The Sound of Silence

I Am a Rock

The Only Living Boy in New York

Homeward Bound

Simon and Garfunkel's Greatest Hits is ingrained in my musical DNA. When I first heard it as a young boy I fell in love with it and had no care that it was a greatest hits album. It holds together so well, like a proper album. It's perfectly paced and reveals the strengths of Paul Simon and Art Garfunkel. Love it.

• Like 4

Impossible for me to say.

Like ReRushed, their music has been a part of my life forever.

Their greatest hits was one of the first albums I owned.

When we were little my family would go on day trips and my sister and I would sit all the way in the back of the station wagon and sing every song word for word.

Their music is just as magical to me today as it was then.

• Like 6

I forget how old I was when their first 45 came out - 11 maybe, I think it was 1965 - it was either Homeward Bound or Scarborough Fair.

Used to love singing along to their records. Even today, when I listened to America, I sang along. Still makes me tear up.

• Like 2

I forget how old I was when their first 45 came out - 11 maybe, I think it was 1965 - it was either Homeward Bound or Scarborough Fair.

Used to love singing along to their records. Even today, when I listened to America, I sang along. Still makes me tear up.

SF and The Boxer are also extremely well made as well...and obviously Bridge Over Troubled Water can turn on the tears for many reasons...

There's been a few great covers you may like.

Edited by Steevo
  • Like 3

Did you ever read Paul Simon's biography? I picked my copy up in - of all places - The Dollar Store. I guess it didn't sell well, but I thought it was a good book.

No but I thought of you with Pete's autobio I picked up recently...50c from a library sale...couldn't believe it, all pics intact! :o

• Like 1

Seasons change with the scenery

Weaving time in a tapestry

Won't you stop and remember me

At any convenient time?

Hang on to your hopes, my friend

That's an easy thing to say

But if your hopes should pass away

Simply pretend That you can build them again

wow so many solid tunes it's hard to pick one...or even a few. I wore out that greatest hits album as a kid. It never felt like a blatant money grab of recycled songs with a couple new filler tunes. I guess if I had to pick 3:

scarborough fair

sounds of silence

cecelia (fun tune that breaks up the heavy songs).

• Like 2

And Cecelia with it's addictive beat is great fun to sing...

I used to work at a summer camp in my early 20s...there was a girl working there name Cecelia. And occasionally throughout the summer the rest of us would break in to a rousing rendition of it. She haaaated it. Hmmm...I wonder why? :P

• Like 3

I used to work at a summer camp in my early 20s...there was a girl working there name Cecelia. And occasionally throughout the summer the rest of us would break in to a rousing rendition of it. She haaaated it. Hmmm...I wonder why? :P

at least you didn't sing 'baby got back'.
  • Like 1

I agree. I used to think the song was funny, and it does have a good beat.

• Like 1

The Boxer

America

The Sound of Silence

I Am a Rock

The Only Living Boy in New York

Homeward Bound

Simon and Garfunkel's Greatest Hits is ingrained in my musical DNA. When I first heard it as a young boy I fell in love with it and had no care that it was a greatest hits album. It holds together so well, like a proper album. It's perfectly paced and reveals the strengths of Paul Simon and Art Garfunkel. Love it.

Impossible for me to say.

Like ReRushed, their music has been a part of my life forever.

Their greatest hits was one of the first albums I owned.

When we were little my family would go on day trips and my sister and I would sit all the way in the back of the station wagon and sing every song word for word.

Their music is just as magical to me today as it was then.

Reading both of these from Rerushed and RGLT brought back so many memories, some of them bittersweet. Simon and Garfunkel's music was everywhere when I was young; with friends, their older siblings, youth group, even parents liked them. I had the Greatest Hits album and loved it- the same moving songs as so many here, they really all are wonderful.

The bittersweet part is that our family was close friends with a family a short distance away. We really grew up in each other's houses; camping together; and riding in the back of each other's station wagons. We had a lot of kids the same age but they also had an older brother, Rich, who was cool, had all the Simon and Garfunkel albums, and we all learned to sing Baby Driver together. I still remember all the words. Rich was killed in a bad auto accident 31 years ago and left 3 small children behind. I hadn't thought of him in awhile and came across a great photo of him a few days ago, sharing OLD photos with my daughter; then reading this about Simon and Garfunkel and the station wagons today reminds me really clearly of those times. Strange serendipity but I will take it. (BTW his kids grew up to be totally awesome; I'm pretty sure he knows it.)

Thanks for letting me ramble.

• Like 3

Lots of great songs to choose from but some of my faves are:

The Sound of Silence

The Boxer

Mrs. Robinson

Scarborough Fair

Cecilia

A Hazy Shade of Winter

• Like 2