Your favorite Simon & Garfunkel song?

Texas King

Although I am very familiar with station wagons, and don't know enough about Simon And Garfunkel .. The only album I am familiar with is Sounds Of Silence, and it is brilliant

I like Somewhere They Can't Find Me .... I probably know more that I realize, but I need to get on this horse and ride more

• Like 1

I'll go with Mrs. Robinson though The Boxer and America are really close behind. El Condor Pasa, Scarborough Fair, I am a Rock and Sounds of Silence have always been favorites as well.

One of the best lyrics ever: "Where have you gone Joe DiMaggio, a nation turns its lonely eyes to you... What's that you say, Mrs. Robinson, Joltin' Joe has left and gone away..."

Even as a young kid in the '70s, I was aware of a weariness in society, like something had been lost, something we had in the past, even if that something might have been an illusion (an awareness of which contributed to the weariness). Then we all felt better with Reagan and Cyndi Lauper! And then there was Bill, and now Donald, and we're not so much weary as a little bi-polar (as a society)... somewhat crazy and maybe exasperated but certainly not weary. there seems to be little nostalgia about the past (and past heros) anymore (quite the opposite), but I still love that lyric.

• Like 1

Although I am very familiar with station wagons, and don't know enough about Simon And Garfunkel .. The only album I am familiar with is Sounds Of Silence, and it is brilliant

I like Somewhere They Can't Find Me .... I probably know more that I realize, but I need to get on this horse and ride more

IMO their very essential -- can't live without -- releases are Simon and Garfunkel's Greatest Hits and Bridge over Troubled Water. Get those and you won't be disappointed. re the first, there are now more comprehensive best of collections, but as ReRushed pointed out, Greatest Hits goes together like a proper album. It's also got some live versions that are arguably superior to the original versions.

Oh, and station wagons being replaced by SUVs is part of what is wrong with the world, or at least this country. Nothing beats a sport wagon for utility plus coolness!

I love 'The Boxer', it's probably my the one I think is closest to perfection, but 'I Am A Rock' defined me when I was an adolescent, and it will always be important to me.

There are so many I could name, but I'll stick to a few of the most obvious (in my mind, anyway)

He Was My Brother

Sparrow

Hazy Shade of Winter

The Dangling Conversation

Bridge Over Troubled Water

• Like 1

I love 'The Boxer', it's probably my the one I think is closest to perfection, but 'I Am A Rock' defined me when I was an adolescent, and it will always be important to me.

I knew a guy who hated Simon and Garfunkel because when he was a kid, and being sort of an introverted loner at the time, was teased by other kids at summer camp by being called "Rock" and having "I Am A Rock" sung when he was around. He didn't really care that it really wasn't Paul Simon's fault. Anyway, I can't hear that song now without thinking of that guy.

• Like 1

I knew a guy who hated Simon and Garfunkel because when he was a kid, and being sort of an introverted loner at the time, was teased by other kids at summer camp by being called "Rock" and having "I Am A Rock" sung when he was around. He didn't really care that it really wasn't Paul Simon's fault. Anyway, I can't hear that song now without thinking of that guy.

I had a stoic demeanor and didn't look outwardly marginalized in any way so I didn't get teased much. But I felt like I didn't fit into the available circles at the time. I didn't seek the associations so I guess I missed the hard part. That would suck to actually be defined by others, I can see hating the music after that.

• Like 2

I had a stoic demeanor and didn't look outwardly marginalized in any way so I didn't get teased much. But I felt like I didn't fit into the available circles at the time. I didn't seek the associations so I guess I missed the hard part. That would suck to actually be defined by others, I can see hating the music after that.

Do you still feel always on the outside looking in?

• Like 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ho92k2CKNh0

Sail on, Silver Girl...sail on by....

https://thejewelerblog.wordpress.com/2015/08/28/music-friday-silver-girl-identity-revealed-in-the-classic-bridge-over-troubled-water/

^^^ Paul Simon Reveals Meaning of ‘Silver Girl’ in the Classic ‘Bridge Over Troubled Water’

Edited by goose
  • Like 1

Yes.

Oh...were you asking me?

• Like 2

Yes.

Oh...were you asking me?

No, I wasn't, but I'm shocked that you, of all people, feel that way.

• Like 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ho92k2CKNh0

Sail on, Silver Girl...sail on by....

https://thejewelerbl...troubled-water/

^^^ Paul Simon Reveals Meaning of ‘Silver Girl’ in the Classic ‘Bridge Over Troubled Water’

My favorite part. Always makes me cry.

Edit: Even thinking about it makes me tear up. :LOL:

Edited by Lorraine

Yes.

Oh...were you asking me?

No, I wasn't, but I'm shocked that you, of all people, feel that way.

Really? I'm very good at faking social comfort. I did it professionally for 30 years, after all! :LOL: