Do you think The Police is an overrated or underrated band?

Lorraine

53 members have voted

1. 1. Is The Police overrated or underrated?

• Overrated
    • Underrated
    • Can't stand them so don't even ask.
    • Don't mind them, but Sting and his faux Jamaican accent I can't stand (this is for you Mick).
    • Other

I'd say they are rated right about where they should be, and that's not an option on this poll :)

I love The Police. Without Copeland's drumming style the whole thing doesn't work. Without Sting you'd have like 3 songs (and we've all heard Andy sing!!). Andy's playing is really creative and binds it all together.

Talk about a band that's way more than the sum of its parts.

They are fortunate to have found one another, but it is a shame that Sting took all the credit (and money) for their success. It's not his singing that makes those songs as much as it is Andy's guitar and Stewart's unique drumming.

Underrated, they get too much hate, idk why.

Actually, I agree with you about them being underrated.

If they get too much hate though, I would think it's on account of Sting.

Yeah maybe but it takes 10 Stings to equal 1 Bono when making a douchebaggery basket so I don't mind him.

You've got it right. Bono is king when it comes to that with Bruce almost taking the lead.

• Like 1

Rated right. but i personally don't like them. but......i see the appeal.

just not my thing.....and yes the faux Jamaican thing does grate on me. lol

Mick

I like their punk / rock vibe more than their Jamaican stuff too.

Visions of the Night, Synchronicity 1, No Time At All, Landlord, Peanuts, etc. All great stuff and not a hint of doobie or dreadlock to be found.

Example:

Edited by Del_Duio
  • Like 1

Underrated, they get too much hate, idk why.

Actually, I agree with you about them being underrated.

If they get too much hate though, I would think it's on account of Sting.

Yeah maybe but it takes 10 Stings to equal 1 Bono when making a douchebaggery basket so I don't mind him.

You've got it right. Bono is king when it comes to that with Bruce almost taking the lead.

Springsteen's douchebaggery >>>> Bono's. At least Bono isn't as much of a partisan, he seems interested in progress on the issues he cares about, not just taking sides politically.

• Like 2

I'll also state at worst i find them just plain boring. at best they are just passable.

Mick

The first three albums are very energetic. With a great sense of humor. I do understand the boring label with regards to Ghost in the Machine. At that point they were a band that seemed bored with themselves. Synchronicity was one last burst of inspiration. Personally, I think they simply have too many good songs to be passable.

that's fine if you enjoy them. as i said i do get the appeal it might have for people. they just do not engage me one bit.

and i've revisited them many MANY times over the years.

Mick

I really enjoy their earlier work. I think they sold out later. I don't think they had a body of work that was vast enough to be considered one of the greatest bands ever. No doubt they were a great band, but one of the greatest ever? Nah.

I really enjoy their earlier work. I think they sold out later. I don't think they had a body of work that was vast enough to be considered one of the greatest bands ever. No doubt they were a great band, but one of the greatest ever? Nah.

Hendrix only released 3 albums. Yet he is considered one of the greatest artists ever. I think 5 albums of mostly great material qualifies them as among the best.

• Like 1

Hendrix only released 3 albums. Yet he is considered one of the greatest artists ever. I think 5 albums of mostly great material qualifies them as among the best.

Didn't the Sex Pistols only have 1 album? They're supposedly the best punkers ever from what I hear.

• Like 1

I won't say they are either over or under rated. For a band who were consistently actively for only about six years they achieved quite a bit of success. I would say they achieved what they deserved for the most part.
  • Like 1

Didn't get to see them until the 2008 reunion. Our seats were actually behind the stage at Staples Ctr LA. I was thrilled cause I got to watch Stewart all night, up close! It was wonderful.

He enthralls me. An odd word to use, but he does, and I can't think of another word to use at the moment.

I love his hard playing.

• Like 1

I read the autobiographies of all three members of The Police. And just as expected, Sting's is the most pretentious, Andy's is the most adventurous, and Stewart's is the funniest. It's funny how the writing matches their personalities down to a T.
  • Like 1

I have always loved Sting. I've never really understood the hate that he gets. Everyone was young at some point in their lives and made mistakes.
  • Like 1

Texas King appears to have taken a few days off. :)

Nerve of him. Didn't even ask us if he could. :sarcastic:

Anyway, this poll will have to do until he comes back. :yes:

If he ever does. :unsure:

Holy Shit! The Police are one of the greatest bands in the land!! Stewart will always be in my TOP FIVE DRUMMERS OF ALL TIME!!!

So they sold out and had an EGOMANIAC DOUCHE as a lead singer and bassist. Still, I like STING. Talented son of a gun. Summers is UNDERRATED!

God, I love Copeland! I think someone just posted about GIZMODROME! NEW BAND! Can't wait to get it!!!

I've seen The Police twice on their reunion tours. Amazing.

I saw Everyone Stares in San Jose on the big screen with a Q&A by Stewart after the show! Amazing moment. I remember. I took my wife and little girls to see it. They weren't very happy, perhaps another reason why I am single again. LOL!

Oh well!

I was the only one who stood up and asked a question to Copeland about Klerk Kant. Such a wonderful solo album. I have it on Japanese cd Very rare.

I asked him if it was ever going to get remastered and repackaged.

He had no clue.

Damn.......

The Police RULE!

• Like 3

If you the reader, the forum member "can't stand them" then PLEASE!!!

"DON'T STAND SO CLOSE TO ME!" YA WANKER!

I love STING in "Quadrophenia" too!!! EPIC!

Holy shit!

My daughter Zo is seeing The Who this weekend at Outside Lands!

Then I'm seeing The Who with my parents in Tahoe!!!!

Can't wait!!!!

TOWNSHEND IS A GOD!

• Like 3

Stewart Copeland is one of my top 5 all time favourite drummers. Arguably one of the most influential drummers of the 20th century. I saw their very first show on the reunion back in 2007. It was called the "Dress Rehearsal" and it was before official opening night in Vancouver. They put curtains up around the arena and played for about 5000 of us fans. Awesome show!
  • Like 3

Sting is arrogant as hell... sometimes it takes an arrogant one to push a project over the finish line, and god knows he did it. Those Police records still hold up .

He had good reason to be arrogant. He had oodles of talent, a great body, and a smile to end all smiles. And a great head of hair too. :)

Who of us wouldn't be arrogant as hell with that combo?

• Like 2