Do you think The Police is an overrated or underrated band?

Lorraine

53 members have voted

1. 1. Is The Police overrated or underrated?

• Overrated
    • Underrated
    • Can't stand them so don't even ask.
    • Don't mind them, but Sting and his faux Jamaican accent I can't stand (this is for you Mick).
    • Other

I voted other. F*** tha Police!

Easy, E.

NWA! "STRAIGHT OUTTA COMPTON!" A CLASSIC!

EAZY DUZ IT is another masterpiece.

Signed,

Eazy Earl

Never afraid to Express Yourself, are you, my nizzearl?

Hahaha! NEVER!

I love "Express Yourself."

Love,

MADONNA

NIZZLEFIZZLEDRIZZLEFRIZZLEFRYGUY

Easy, E.

Signed,

Eazy Earl

Hahaha! NEVER!

Love,

MADONNA

Primus sucks.
  • Like 1

Easy, E.

Signed,

Eazy Earl

Hahaha! NEVER!

Love,

MADONNA

Primus sucks.

Hahaha!

Well played!

"SUCK ON THIS!"

• Like 1

Easy, E.

Signed,

Eazy Earl

Hahaha! NEVER!

Love,

MADONNA

Primus sucks.

Hahaha!

Well played!

"SUCK ON THIS!"

giphy.gif

No. He does? That's terrible. I hope they've caught it early.

That is what I read somewhere. It wasn't a news story, but someone posted that he had cancer and they heard it was throat cancer. I hope not. He cancelled a concert recently due to health problems.

Was just wondering if anyone else heard anything.

I think they are properly rated. They sound like no one else before them, so you either get it or you don't. The amount of success they had was deserved, but I can also hear why they aren't for everyone so...properly rated.

• Like 3

I think they are properly rated. They sound like no one else before them, so you either get it or you don't. The amount of success they had was deserved, but I can also hear why they aren't for everyone so...properly rated.

A good post. I love love love love love them! Stewart is my top three drummer of all time!!! "Man In A Suitcase" played in my car today. Never gets old. Incredible use of splashes on that track. EPIC!

• Like 1

I've decided by voting for "Other". I've always like them, and think, and feel they haven't been "Overrated", and "Underrated". With how good of a band, and group they were, are, and have been to deserve the recognition, and popularity. Edited by Derek19

A good post. I love love love love love them! Stewart is my top three drummer of all time!!! "Man In A Suitcase" played in my car today. Never gets old. Incredible use of splashes on that track. EPIC!

Music would suck without their influence, and everything I have heard I've at least liked!

• Like 2

I have a question. Does everyone stare the way Sting does? :laughing guy:

On a side note, 'Every Breath You Take' could be interpreted from either a criminal point of view, or law enforcement attempting to apprehend a criminal, or the third reason below.

"I woke up in the middle of the night with that line in my head, sat down at the piano and had written it in half an hour. The tune itself is generic, an aggregate of hundreds of others, but the words are interesting. It sounds like a comforting love song. I didn't realize at the time how sinister it is. I think I was thinking of Big Brother, surveillance and control." - Sting

The irony is that some people have the song played at their wedding ceremony.

Cream and The Police are similar in which the bass (Jack Bruce and Sting) and drums (Ginger Baker and Stewart Copeland) rhythm section would clash with one another personality-wise and the guitarist's (Eric Clapton and Andy Summers) ended up being stuck in the middle of it all trying to keep the peace.

Both bands had their reunion tours, in which the animosity never subsided years later regarding the above.

I've read Andy Summers 2006 book 'One Train Later: A Memoir', which is great. I enjoyed reading about Summers connection to Eric Clapton here and Jimi Hendrix here.

One disappointment is how The Police song 'Behind My Camel' (written solely by Summers and recorded with Summers on both guitar and bass and Copeland on drums) won the 1982 Grammy Award for Best Rock Instrumental Performance over 'YYZ' by RUSH.

It's difficult for me to listen to any of the albums by The Police all the way through because a lot of the songs are filler. I appreciate the big hit songs and some album tracks, but not everything entirely.

'When the World Is Running Down, You Make the Best of What's Still Around' is the longest song title I've ever seen so far.

There's my two cents on this.

Edited by RushFanForever

The Police were / are a great band. They took music in a different direction, and I agree Earl, Stewart is in my top 3 drummers also. Easily one of the most influential drummers of the 20th century! I am not a big fan of Sting solo. Always great musicians though. I saw his play in Toronto recently. I hope he is ok.
  • Like 1

:musicnote: ...turned on my VCR

same one I've had for years... :musicnote:

:7up:

James Brown and TAMI SHOW...

same tape I've had for years....

Funny the things we hear. For myself, even after I learned the correct lyrics, i'm still more comfortable singing whatever it was I thought they were selling when I first heard the song. Not every album came with lyrics back then, there was no internet to consult, and some of them sang so as to make the lyrics hard to decipher.

• Like 1

:musicnote: ...turned on my VCR

same one I've had for years... :musicnote:

:7up:

James Brown and TAMI SHOW...

same tape I've had for years....

Funny the things we hear. For myself, even after I learned the correct lyrics, i'm still more comfortable singing whatever it was I thought they were selling when I first heard the song. Not every album came with lyrics back then, there was no internet to consult, and some of them sang so as to make the lyrics hard to decipher.

No kidding! Took me years to figure out what the hell he was talking about... :D

• Like 1