When is the right time to pack it in....

Phantom

Having seen Billy Joel this week at Madison Square Garden, it got me thinking about Rush. Billy's band sounded great, Billy's voice was really good, and it was an enjoyable set list....but in truth, I think I'd have rather remembered him from the last time I saw him...several years back. He looked really tired this week and lacked the energy and enthusiasm that was a trademark of his live shows. I almost felt a bit bad for him... It got me thinking about Rush, and if heaven forbid they ever seemed as sluggish as Billy did, I'd feel awful about witnessing it. I have a new appreciation for the courage it takes to go out at or near your peak. Best wishes to the guys for a fulfilling retirement.
  • Like 3

Yeah agreed. But thinking about it now, who knows what Ged's voice, Neil's arms and Alex's arthritis like now. Maybe the big break revitalised em and they fancy another shot at an album at least we dont know anything, it can happen. True artists just don't stop.
  • Like 1

I saw Gordon Lightfoot a couple of years ago.. Much as I love him and him being the Canadian icon that he is, i felt bad for him.. He gave it his best, but his age truly showed... On top of that, It also made me realize that we are all going to go through this aging process, that was sad to grasp...
  • Like 4

Yeah i'd have faith in the guys' decision though, if they really motivated for another album and maybe just a few big shows, can see it happening without any problems, if anybody knows the standards they gotta live up to is them. Im optimistic tbh Edited by lifeson90

I saw Gordon Lightfoot a couple of years ago.. Much as I love him and him being the Canadian icon that he is, i felt bad for him.. He gave it his best, but his age truly showed... On top of that, It also made me realize that we are all going to go through this aging process, that was sad to grasp...

Sundown, he better take care...

• Like 3

Seeing Billy Joel with so little energy was tough to watch...thankfully, his band is really solid.

Not sure whether it's age or whether older artists just get tired of their own material.

'ugh not this same f***ing song again...for the 100,000th time.'

• Like 1

Yeah agreed. But thinking about it now, who knows what Ged's voice, Neil's arms and Alex's arthritis like now. Maybe the big break revitalised em and they fancy another shot at an album at least we dont know anything, it can happen. True artists just don't stop.

You must be drifting high above the Heavens on Cloud 2112!!! Ged Al and Neil are true artists. But it's OVER! Alex and Geddy may have more in the tank but thank God they ended RUSH on TOP! R40! THE FORUM! Thank God I was there!
  • Like 5

Seeing Billy Joel with so little energy was tough to watch...thankfully, his band is really solid.

Not sure whether it's age or whether older artists just get tired of their own material.

No more "Tom Sawyer" performed live ever again! PRAISE JESUS SYRINX CHRIST!
  • Like 1

I've heard Billy talk about the whole "omg, this same old song again" issue.. He spoke of it during his inside the actors studio interview. But this was different. He looked physically uncomfortable... So tired...I'm not one to judge but he looks so much heavier than even a few years ago....maybe that's a factor for him?

A big part of an artist remaining vital is new material

If a performer just goes out there time and time again leaning on songs from a different time in their ( and our ) life, I usually have zero interest ..

If an artist feels that they can still perform and earn money, there is no reason to rely solely on old material ..

Plus, in writing new songs, the artist will be performing something within their limits ....

Edited by Lucas
  • Like 2

My best friend saw him on the same tour, then her husband (a country fan) took her to see the Oak Ridge Boys shortly afterward . . . She told me, "I'm never going to see any older guys again! They don't sound like you remember !"

On the other hand, John Prine (folk singer) has had a kind of gravely voice for awhile. He just played here this spring and from all reports it was a wonderful show! He is really an awesome songwriter and his voice is working with his age. So I guess you never know. It's sad to hear that about Billy Joel, though.

Chicago is coming here this fall and Mr. blues and I plan to get tickets. As long as the horns/woodwinds show up I think we'll be happy !

Baloney sauce. There are literally thousands of artists, in all disciplines, who have stopped for any number of reasons and many of them would likely be offended at such a statement. I suppose you'll work until the minute you die?

• Like 2

A big part of an artist remaining vital is new material

If a performer just goes out there time and time again leaning on songs from a different time in their ( and our ) life, I usually have zero interest ..

If an artist feels that they can still perform and earn money, there is no reason to rely solely on old material ..

Plus, in writing new songs, the artist will be performing something within their limits ....

Both of these posts reminded me of Neil Young. He is one of the few artists I can think of that was still going strong(until recently) at the age of 71, performing with new material and reimagining himself in so many different ways over the years that once David Geffen sued him for not sounding enough like himself (true story.) When you went to see him in concert, you were never sure which Neil would show up- Harvest Neil, Rockin in the Free World Neil, Neil and Crazy Horse, well you get the idea. He never cared if anyone showed up or not, or liked his setlist or not, which I have to say gives you a lot of artistic freedom and perhaps that's part of what has kept him going.

I think that's really rare, though, and he was lucky in that early songwriting and early land purchases in California have given him financial freedom to do his thing all these years. I agree that if an artist is just going to re do material and has nothing new to bring to it then they are better off retiring. Having said that, I saw Brian Wilson this spring redoing Pet Sounds and it was wonderful. Coming to it with mental clarity seems to have given it a new life for him.

• Like 2

I prefer to "Pack It Up" and go! Love, UFO

Has someone hacked Earl's account?

This post is only one line!!! :huh: http://www.planetsmilies.com/smilies/tongue/tongue0009.gif

• Like 3

Billy and Rush and I are all around the same age.

You'll find out yourself when you get there what it's like.

P.S. By the way, there's a huge difference between how you feel and look at 50 and what happens after 60. That is, if you have always been somewhat healthy.

Edited by Lorraine

I saw Billy Joel in 1990, at the height of his relevance. Never needed to again.

He was an incredible live performer then...and in my opinion, was a different live performer but still really good even a few years back. Maybe his recent show was an off night, but he literally seemed like a shell of his usual self