Roger Water's New Album "Is This the Life We Really Want?"

Bigbobby10

Just downloaded. I have a road trip this weekend so I will have Roger with me.

Really looking forward to his show in Sept.

Just downloaded. I have a road trip this weekend so I will have Roger with me.

Really looking forward to his show in Sept.

Hope you don't fall asleep when you listen to the album while driving.

After two full spins I have to say that the album is very quiet, lots of string arrangements and Roger has borrowed some parts from his own past. He pays tribute to Animals, DSOTM and he even uses the riff of Comfortably Numb. The lyrics are not the strongest I've heard from him and in some songs they're kind of painful. So overall (after two spins) the album is not exactly brilliant. There are some great moments but only two songs stood really out for me (well, so far)...

The album starts really strong but sags in the middle. The first four tracks are brilliant, the middle four seem to meander, and then the last four end the album well. Honestly, I'm not a big fan of the album, but I've only listened to it twice. There's a lot of stand outs on it, which surprised me, but other than those few songs, it IS very dark and bleak.
  • Like 1

I've got a couple spins of this in; certainly very bleak picture. Obvious Floyd references. Excellent production by Nigel Godrich (can hear a Radiohead flavor within). No guest guitarists as in the past. Songs are pretty well focused

So far, cannot hold a candle to Amused to Death (one of my favorite albums), but I will give it time. Albums like this tend to grow on me - but also depend on my mood and ability to access that. This is a tough one at the present time.

I've never enjoyed his solo stuff, and it sounds like I'm safe to avoid this one as well.

I do respect and appreciate Waters though for his PF contributions and 'rock icon' status/interviews. And anyone who rightfully slams Trump is okay in my book. :P

• Like 1

The album starts really strong but sags in the middle. The first four tracks are brilliant, the middle four seem to meander, and then the last four end the album well. Honestly, I'm not a big fan of the album, but I've only listened to it twice. There's a lot of stand outs on it, which surprised me, but other than those few songs, it IS very dark and bleak.

Exactly what I thought, great start, but doesn't take it anywhere, kind of a shame. Solid album, but nothing amazing other than the beginning for me

I've got a couple spins of this in; certainly very bleak picture. Obvious Floyd references. Excellent production by Nigel Godrich (can hear a Radiohead flavor within). No guest guitarists as in the past. Songs are pretty well focused

So far, cannot hold a candle to Amused to Death (one of my favorite albums), but I will give it time. Albums like this tend to grow on me - but also depend on my mood and ability to access that. This is a tough one at the present time.

It took me a a few listens to REALLY appreciate Amused To Death. I liked it well enough when I first heard it but it kept paying off even more after repeated listens. I'm still bummed he didn't play the whole thing live but I guess he knows what many American concert-goers are looking for.

I figured Life would be a more desperate version of Amused To Death, but we'll see.

• Like 2

It took me a a few listens to REALLY appreciate Amused To Death. I liked it well enough when I first heard it but it kept paying off even more after repeated listens. I'm still bummed he didn't play the whole thing live but I guess he knows what many American concert-goers are looking for.

I figured Life would be a more desperate version of Amused To Death, but we'll see.

ATD Live would have been a horrible move money wise. what he did play live from it was amazing however.

Mick

As other people here have stated, it's pretty dark. It's on my summer playlist, since I had seeing Roger in Sept, so maybe it will grow on me.

ATD Live would have been a horrible move money wise. what he did play live from it was amazing however.

Mick

Agreed. He played the best four (or five if we count Perfect Sense as two songs) songs from it, and those live versions of It's a Miracle and the title track from the In the Flesh Live DVD are amazing.

• Like 1

Mick

Agreed. He played the best four (or five if we count Perfect Sense as two songs) songs from it, and those live versions of It's a Miracle and the title track from the In the Flesh Live DVD are amazing.

i love that whole DVD That band was awesome. this may be blasphemy. but the solo on that version of time Smokes Gilmour's

Mick

He's got the amazing Dave Kilminster on guitar with him at the moment, I know him a bit and he's a super nice guy, was telling me how awesome it was when Alex came backstage at the Toronto Steven Wilson gig and how humble and friendly Alex was! Pretty cool! http://www.davekilminster.com/News%2016.03.02.php Edited by New Digital Man
  • Like 1

I had a few spins now. the best description i can give to this is through a Genesis lyric

Alive at both ends but a little dead in the middle.

the mid chunk of the album is snooze-ville

i like the first 3 tracks and Broken Bones

then it stops till Smell the Roses and finishes strong.

so i upgrade to 5/10

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000

Just saw the show in Oakland California.

I saw in the 11th row. Right in the center of the court of the Crimson Curry. Not the fuckking KING.

I've seen Roger on the "Dark Side" Tour.

That was amazing too but this set list was off the charts. The "Animals" set was great.

I really don't want this thread to be moved to VANiLLA WHITE SCONE but man we all know how ultra liberal Waters is.

I am sure you bleeding heart liberals would have loved seeing this show. PIGS was dedicated to TRUMP.

Embarrassing yet f**k it, it is what is is.

When I saw the "Dark Side" Tour Waters was bashing BUSH with his big floating PIG in the sky.

It's so hilarious.

As a very successful business man I get it.

It isn't about politics at all.

It's about making BIG "MONEY."

Of course right after PIGS and Waters ripped Trump he went right into "MONEY."

FUNNY!!

Because in all reality if Bush and Trump were never in office, Waters would have nothing not rip apart.

If Hillary was in Orfice, I mean Office what would Waters do in his production scheme? WWWD?

What Would Waters Do?

Jesus Christ I need a bracelet made!! LOL!

Cum on man!

Waters is loving the American buffoonery of Politics! He is making MONEY off of our once amazing Country!!

FUCKK IT!

I still went to see Waters. I can separate my political nature from rock and roll liberalism.

I feel sorry of you blowhards on both sides of the spectrum.

Spectdumb? LOL!!!!!

I actually liked the new Waters material.

I love when a rock star says the word FUCKK in their song.

I will get the Japanese pressing asap.

The show was absolutely amazing.

Politics SUCK

However.....

"Liberalism is a fuckkng mental disorder."

May The Force Be With Us All!

Signed,

"DOGS" OF WAR

I had a few spins now. the best description i can give to this is through a Genesis lyric

Alive at both ends but a little dead in the middle.

the mid chunk of the album is snooze-ville

i like the first 3 tracks and Broken Bones

then it stops till Smell the Roses and finishes strong.

so i upgrade to 5/10

Mick

"Smell The Roses" was performed tonight. Not bad. Not great. The song is a 5.

• Like 1