Music Lovers Who Reject New Music

Lucas

My friend Mike - a music lover - gets into the car, and we're off and on our way to pick up some food .. I've got a Ray Lamontagne CD in, and this particular song is timeless - it sounds as if it could be from 1973 ..

Knowing Mike has a penchant for disliking new things, when he asks about the song and performer, I tell him it's a super SHM CD from Japan and the album was originally recorded in 1973 - sounds great, doesn't it ? - and then I mention that I could make a copy for him if he likes it ..

He says "ok, great"

So after the song ends, I tell him the song and CD are actually from 2006 and that Ray is a newer artist ..

He wrinkles up his nose and says "really ?"

Hours later as I'm leaving, I mention the CD again, and tell him that I'll make a copy .. He tells me "Nah, that's OK, I'm not really interested"

Music can be a very personal thing .. A lot of memories - both good and bad - can be tied up in songs .. There is a very understandable attachment we can have to a particular song, as the music can send us back to a point and time in our life that was meaningful ..

But what about new music ?? ... Why do people who love music reject the new ??

It seems as if this is not limited to music:

How is it that people say they want creativity but in reality often reject it?" said Jack Goncalo, ILR School assistant professor of organizational behavior and co-author of research to be published in an upcoming issue of the journal Psychological Science.

The paper reports on two 2010 experiments at the University of Pennsylvania involving more than 200 people.

The studies' findings include:

• Creative ideas are by definition novel, and novelty can trigger feelings of uncertainty that make most people uncomfortable.

• People dismiss creative ideas in favor of ideas that are purely practical -- tried and true.

• Objective evidence shoring up the validity of a creative proposal does not motivate people to accept it.

• Anti-creativity bias is so subtle that people are unaware of it, which can interfere with their ability to recognize a creative idea.

https://phys.org/news/2011-08-people-biased-creative-ideas.html

Do you feel that you, or maybe someone you know, doesn't give newer music enough of a chance ??

Doesn't it seem like a contradiction to listen to music - esp rock - because it is just a comfortable shoe, a relationship that isn't as exciting as it once was but fills a need nonetheless ??

Are you really getting more out of hearing Tom Petty sing "I won't .. back .. down" for the ten thousandth time than you would be taking a few hours and finding something that moves you from the past few years ??

They don't make music like they used to

Really ?? .. How would you know ??

Edited by Lucas
  • Like 2

Many questions, many possible answers I can give. For the shortened nighttime response...

There was a brief (in hindsight) but definite period right around junior high when I really started getting into music where I outright believed good music wasn't being made anymore and hadn't been made since the 80s, except in a particular few cases (things I was already familiar with). The short story is that then someone online questioned me on this belief when I was in a more open minded mood at the start of high school, and I asked them to recommend good new music to me (he knew the basic of my taste already). that's where I met and fell in love with Muse, and decided the new stuff could actually be excellent under the right conditions. It still too some time after that, but I eventually came to the logical realization that there's great and terrible music in every era, and I just have to put in the effort to find it. That old rejection did remanifest itself as a disdain for rap, hip-hop, and top 40 "pop-slop," a grudge which decayed into a distaste which has now decayed into a more open minded approach to all genres, but taking anything poppy on the charts with a few grains of salt and skepticism. I do still retain my rejections of Justin Beiber and One Direction; I continue to refuse to give them a fair shot on principle that they won't be worth my time. But most anyone else I can be talked into reviewing my opinion on, or at least putting a bit more effort into my analyses.

So yeah, there's great new music out there, but especially when immersed in any of the "classic rock" cultural contexts, it can be difficult to realize this at times, let alone find the good new music.

Edited by Entre_Perpetuo
  • Like 2

My friend Mike - a music lover - gets into the car, and we're off and on our way to pick up some food .. I've got a Ray Lamontagne CD in, and this particular song is timeless - it sounds as if it could be from 1973 ..

Knowing Mike has a penchant for disliking new things, when he asks about the song and performer, I tell him it's a super SHM CD from Japan and the album was originally recorded in 1973 - sounds great, doesn't it ? - and then I mention that I could make a copy for him if he likes it ..

He says "ok, great"

So after the song ends, I tell him the song and CD are actually from 2006 and that Ray is a newer artist ..

He wrinkles up his nose and says "really ?"

Hours later as I'm leaving, I mention the CD again, and tell him that I'll make a copy .. He tells me "Nah, that's OK, I'm not really interested"

Music can be a very personal thing .. A lot of memories - both good and bad - can be tied up in songs .. There is a very understandable attachment we can have to a particular song, as the music can send us back to a point and time in our life that was meaningful ..

But what about new music ?? ... Why do people who love music reject the new ??

It seems as if this is not limited to music:

How is it that people say they want creativity but in reality often reject it?" said Jack Goncalo, ILR School assistant professor of organizational behavior and co-author of research to be published in an upcoming issue of the journal Psychological Science.

The paper reports on two 2010 experiments at the University of Pennsylvania involving more than 200 people.

The studies' findings include:

• Creative ideas are by definition novel, and novelty can trigger feelings of uncertainty that make most people uncomfortable.

• People dismiss creative ideas in favor of ideas that are purely practical -- tried and true.

• Objective evidence shoring up the validity of a creative proposal does not motivate people to accept it.

• Anti-creativity bias is so subtle that people are unaware of it, which can interfere with their ability to recognize a creative idea.

https://phys.org/new...tive-ideas.html

Do you feel that you, or maybe someone you know, doesn't give newer music enough of a chance ??

Doesn't it seem like a contradiction to listen to music - esp rock - because it is just a comfortable shoe, a relationship that isn't as exciting as it once was but fills a need nonetheless ??

Are you really getting more out of hearing Tom Petty sing "I won't .. back .. down" for the ten thousandth time than you would be taking a few hours and finding something that moves you from the past few years ??

They don't make music like they used to

Really ?? .. How would you know ??

Excellent OP, Lucas. And I like the trick you played on your friend- it really shows his bias. ;)

Of course, you know I am crazy about Ray LaMontagne as well...but anything else like that, I mean, if I were in the same situation as your friend, hearing something I didn't know, but I like the sound of it- I would at least be interested to check out a bit more of the artist and see what it's like. No reason to close the ears to something good, whatever it might be.

• Like 4

I don't get music prejudice at all.

Some musicians I just can't stand as people. But I still appreciate and often love their music.

Case in point: early U2

• Like 3

As for the whole old/new music bias...I get really confused when I read people say "their is still great new music coming out" and the music they link sounds exactly like a watered down version of a rock band from 1973.

Music is still alive and well. Even the mainstream chart fodder that gets hate as it always has is flourishing with strong fanbases.

• Like 4

As for the whole old/new music bias...I get really confused when I read people say "their is still great new music coming out" and the music they link sounds exactly like a watered down version of a rock band from 1973.

Music is still alive and well. Even the mainstream chart fodder that gets hate as it always has is flourishing with strong fanbases.

I think it's just all a matter of personal taste. As for the 'watered down', older sound of a current band...well, there are a lot of fans who just like that kind of sound.

I'm one of those people who loves the instrumentation and the production values that were so prevalent during the first half (or maybe three quarters) of the 1970s.

That doesn't mean at all that I don't like anything that doesn't retain that kind of sound; not at all.

Edited by Blue J
  • Like 5

I believe a lot of people are drawn to bands not just by the music itself but because they feel the image associated with that band or that genre reflects favourably on them.

For example, I’ve encountered people over the years who say they only listen to progressive rock. Nothing inherently wrong with that choice but when they expand on that point and suggest it requires patience and intelligence to appreciate progressive rock, it reveals a branding which they clearly like and want to be associated with.

I would imagine the friend of the OP has, in a similar way, attached some intangible value to the fact he only listens to music of a certain period.

• Like 4

If there is one thing i can't stand it's the music is dead camp.

no it's not you're just to lazy to look.

Also......there was shit in the 60's 70's and 80's don't kid yourself and romanticize it, lol

Mick

• Like 6

Your friend's an idiot. I've known a few people like this. Past tense.

Your friend's problem appears to be either a grossly unhealthy degree of bias or they're just plain f***ing nuts. Like bat-shit crazy, lock me up my momma dropped me as a newborn nuts.

I think Northener is spot on. It becomes part of who they are, to the point they forget why they're even enjoying it in the first place and then force feed ONLY that music into their ears, even if it's unsavory (they are 'trained' after all to know how to properly listen to it long enough it finally clicks - ie - brainwashing themselves, saving you the trouble :P ).

• Like 4

Also......there was shit in the 60's 70's and 80's don't kid yourself and romanticize it, lol

Mick

"WHAT kind of a man desecrates a defenseless textbook?? You are destroying your life with that...that...that garbage!!

All right, Mister Sister, I want you to tell me- no, better yet, stand up, and tell the class...WHAT DO YOU WANT TO DO WITH YOUR LIFE??"

Edited by Blue J
  • Like 4

I'm pretty much set in my ways. I love the music I grew up with, so that's what I listen to the most. I do like several new artists like Deerhunter, Parquet Courts, Mastodon, Grizzly Bear and The Dear Hunter. The reason I like these bands is because I feel they capture the sound or the spirit of the music I grew up with. In some cases, they can be accused of ripping off the past. But when has that not been the case regarding music?

Also, when is something new not new anymore?

• Like 2

I believe a lot of people are drawn to bands not just by the music itself but because they feel the image associated with that band or that genre reflects favourably on them.

For example, I’ve encountered people over the years who say they only listen to progressive rock. Nothing inherently wrong with that choice but when they expand on that point and suggest it requires patience and intelligence to appreciate progressive rock, it reveals a branding which they clearly like and want to be associated with.

I would imagine the friend of the OP has, in a similar way, attached some intangible value to the fact he only listens to music of a certain period.

Bands and genres and eras are like clubs. To some, exclusive clubs. Us against them.

• Like 2

I think it's just all a matter of personal taste. As for the 'watered down', older sound of a current band...well, there are a lot of fans who just like that kind of sound.

I'm one of those people who loves the instrumentation and the production values that were so prevalent during the first half (or maybe three quarters) of the 1970s.

That doesn't mean at all that I don't like anything that doesn't retain that kind of sound; not at all.

Thank you . You said what I was also thinking so well.

• Like 2

You could have been riding with me and the same thing probably would have happened with the exception that if I were driving we probably wouldn't have listened to it at all. Seriously stubborn old bastard here...
  • Like 3

I like some new music - it is very hard to find, so I don't "reject" new music. I do find myself more often re-visiting older stuff that I already liked (sometimes 10-20-25 years back!) and maybe that's just a comfort thing. I realize I am picky to begin with (some might say "music snob", and I'm ok with that if I don't have to listen to their shit!) But i think there are some reasons I seem to like less new music:

1.) I'm a musician. I've spent countless time in my life practicing an instrument. Frankly, while I can appreciate computer generated music for its "idea", I just don't get nearly the same level of enjoyment or connection to it. Given the technology explosion, home studio,etc. there's just alot more AI performing in music as a percentage. I just can't sit and listen to a drum loop - it doesn't really interest me for more than a minute. I'm not a luddite, but there has to a be a human soul in the music and I prefer, almost to a rule, that real percussion must be involved. Musicianship certainly takes a back seat (or is absent) in alot of new music.

2.) New music that does employ real humans is very often highly derivative and/or dumbed down. So, maybe I'm a music snob, but I just can't get into listening to a band that just figured out how to play a few chords and basic drum beat. Similarly I can't really stomach hearing a band display no creativity and rip off what has come before and add nothing to it. Some can craft a decent song, but there's just too much drivel to sort through to find that one. This factor is a function of just how much has already happened and over commercialization.

The above two reasons account for something like 98% of new music on the radio, satellite, TV, mainstream commercial outlets. It's probably only ever been 10% better than that - so, no real surprise here. So, then, dig deeper. Where I find new music to check out:

3.) Internet forums (like here, prog archives, facebook, etc.), occasional Spotify stations, musician publications (Modern Drummer), and recommendations from friends, band-mates, younger relatives... Everyone's got their thing. There's just a ton of stuff out there; sadly most of it crap or un-interesting or both! I think this just results from the volume of music available. Hell, I myself have been in bands that have albums on Itunes, Amazon, etc. If I can do it, there must be several million others like me out there trying to sell their stuff. The market is just massively flooded. How to sort out and maybe find that one band? The bands that do seem to rise - are they really that good or just better marketeers?

4.) Time. Being an old-f@ck, I just don't have time to sit and listen to 100 bands to find 1 good one. Day job, wife, kids, weekend gigs. Sad but true. When I was in college, I would consume 5-6 albums a week. Listened day and night. This available time disappeared as life goes on... As I mentioned above, some of my listening time is devoted to old things that I already know as I look for "comfort food". How can I justify spending hours checking into some band somebody raved about? My threshold is pretty high before I would actually seek out and sit down with a youtube version - and even among friends with common interests in music, the hit rate is pretty low. Often, for me to build a connection to a band it takes some time, the right mood, available time, the right band - all the stars must align. Thus, it is inherently unlikely that I'd get a tip about a new band, check them out, fall in love, pick up their disc (see, I am old). This doesn't mean I 'reject' new music as there have been the occasional new entries in the past year or so.

Edited by cygnify
  • Like 4

It is more challenging to find great new music, since we have so many possible avenues through which to discover, but not as much TIME :)

It's both good and bad that anyone can make a record now :) What Cygnify said about a flooded market is spot-on.

That said... I've found lots of great new/recent stuff.

• Like 2

I like that sound too. Temperance Movement kind of came to mind actually...

But I meant those that would literally only listen to that and not even try anything else. The sort that always look down on your taste if you have a list of favourite bands not stereotypically considered one of the greats.

Like the great number over the years who put down Lacuna Coil as no way do they rank alongside Rush.

Well...each to their own but I can imagine living happily without one of those bands and that band in question is not Italian lol.

The reason I like forums like this is specifically to find good new music.

It's there, you don't need to sift through 100s of bands, just peruse a few threads here.

As well as the "won't listen to new music snob", the other one to watch out for is the "only their old stuff is any good" snob. This snob can be seen at a Deep Purple show yakking during the most excellent "Now what" material while he/she waits to hear Smoke for the zillionth time, or during a Maiden show taking a leak during the Book of Souls stuff while he waits to hear The Trooper yet again.

• Like 4

I enjoy discovering new music but I've found that, as I get older, my ability to become obsessed with music has waned significantly. I assume it is a natural part of growing older. The music you discover when you are 13-25 ignites a passion in you that seems unrepeatable.
  • Like 6

I enjoy discovering new music but I've found that, as I get older, my ability to become obsessed with music has waned significantly. I assume it is a natural part of growing older. The music you discover when you are 13-25 ignites a passion in you that seems unrepeatable.

Good point ... but conversely, there can be an appreciation for music that can be more meaningful, esp in regards to the lyrics and content ..

The album I mentioned in the original post is a perfect example : when I was a kid, if Ray Lamontagne had put out "Till The Sun Turns Black", I would have had very little interest, if any - but now, I can enjoy it and really appreciate it ..

So in a way, for every change one way, there will be something that will fill it's place

I don't believe that our desire for pleasure diminishes, but what gives us that pleasure might

• Like 1

I think alot of people resist new music because of limited time. I love listening to new stuff but time is a precious commodity. You have to be willing to hear some stuff that you dont like and that does take away from other music. Also if you know you already love what youve heard, many may feel its not worth the effort to try something new.

Lazy bastards....

• Like 1

It's harder to find a lot of good instrument based music today compared to in the past. FM radio used to be the main way people heard new music, now FM seems to be full of either new synth based pop tunes or 70s/80's classic rock.
  • Like 4

You know what I struggle most with in new music? A general lack of a good melody. At least with the rock genres. And while today's pop music may have strong melodies, the singing styles that are popular today generally turn me off.

Melody is one reason I like Ghost (but not their latest EP). Bruno Mars is an exception of a pop artist's singing style that I can think of.

• Like 3