Mangini limited role in songwriting

Xanadoood

Dude, one of the best things about a DT show until 2010 was to figure out what they'd play every night. Every song in their catalogue was game. Granted, I've been to a few shows where I felt underwhelmed with what they chose to play, but I saw this as part of the game.
  • Like 2

Outside of Dream Theater is Mangini a songwriter?

He's been a hired gun type of guy I think. Replaced pat badger in Extreme, played with Steve vai.. before joining DT, he was a drum professor at Berklee college of music for 10 years.

And its real easy if you play the same songs every night....

They didn't do that on the ADTOE tour. Those set lists were rotated nightly.

And let's not act like they always rotated set lists pre-2011. The last few tours with Portnoy saw the set lists get much more static, and the Awake and Metropolis: 2000 tours had static set lists. It was easy to get spoiled by the 6DOIT and ToT tours, which were the peak of the set lists getting rotated, but the problem there was you'd get shaky performances of rarely played songs, since they weren't used to playing them, and you could tell.

Dude, one of the best things about a DT show until 2010 was to figure out what they'd play every night. Every song in their catalogue was game. Granted, I've been to a few shows where I felt underwhelmed with what they chose to play, but I saw this as part of the game.

If getting a disappointing set list is part of the game, I'll take the safe route of getting a guaranteed great set list that is static, like on the DT12 tour.

Score was a bad setlist?

"Oh, not all 43 minutes of Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence... AGAIN..."

Edited by Del_Duio

I liked that aspect a lot too, with any band really.

It made things very hard for James though from what I've read. And he's pretty hit or miss live as it is.

• Like 1

Yeah, I agree with K Man that the rotating setlists took their toll on the band´s performances at times - James more notably, but I´ve heard Jordan saying something in this regard too. But I liked them.

Score was a bad setlist?

"Oh, not all 43 minutes of Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence... AGAIN..."

Who said it was bad? I said it was underwhelming for a 20th anniversary show.

Vacant is the only song from Train of Thought?

Innocence Faded the only song from Awake?

It's like most of the set was their good to very good songs, with very few truly great fan favorites (Metropolis and The Spirit Carries On and ???). Imagine Rush having done their 30th or 40th anniversary show and hardly playing any of the top tier fan favorites. That is basically what the Score set list was.

Yeah, I agree with K Man that the rotating setlists took their toll on the band´s performances at times - James more notably, but I´ve heard Jordan saying something in this regard too. But I liked them.

As a fan who likes to frequent the internet forums, it definitely was fun to follow a tour and see what was played each night, but way too often I'd see a set list and think, "Man, I'm glad I wasn't at that show."

As a fan who likes to frequent the internet forums, it definitely was fun to follow a tour and see what was played each night, but way too often I'd see a set list and think, "Man, I'm glad I wasn't at that show."

Yeah but that was the reason imo that the more hardcore fans would see multiple shows per tour. From what i see those days were over.

DT were like the grateful dead of prog metal for while.

• Like 1

Score is easily my favorite Dream Theater live album and DVD.

Portnoy's strength is as an arranger. To me that was his main contribution to the music. He brings that to his other projects too.

If what I think is going on here is true, then the band probably has realized their mistake by now and will release something superb next. Ever since shortly after The Astonishing's release I've been of the mentality that their next album is going to be a great comeback.

Why do you think this or think you know this? The suck-sess of The Astonishing would tell me to expect more of this, not less. Sadly.

It sounds like wishful thinking to me. Reality likely has its own plans though.

I honestly wasn't aware that The Astonishing was a commercial success until reading this response of yours.

If what I think is going on here is true, then the band probably has realized their mistake by now and will release something superb next. Ever since shortly after The Astonishing's release I've been of the mentality that their next album is going to be a great comeback.

Why do you think this or think you know this? The suck-sess of The Astonishing would tell me to expect more of this, not less. Sadly.

I honestly wasn't aware that The Astonishing was a commercial success until reading this response of yours.

https://en.wikipedia...ter_discography

When tallied it will likely match or exceed the prior two or three albums [no official count released yet].

It also became their first album to top the billboard rock charts:

https://en.wikipedia...nishing#Release

Keep in mind this was a double disc, a bit more expensive than typical CDs/downloads. The fact it's selling at or above prior levels further indicates it was a financial success.

And the tour certainly did well(?).

Looks like too much success to expect them to *need* to change direction for any reason. I'm sure the record company is hoping for more of the same. With the band speaking highly of the record and with no financial pressure we should expect The Astonishing 2.

Edited by stoopid

When tallied it will likely match or exceed the prior two or three albums [no official count released yet].

Keep in mind this was a double disc, a bit more expensive than typical CDs/downloads. The fact it's selling at or above prior levels further indicates it was a financial success.

Looks like too much success to expect them to *need* to change direction for any reason. I'm sure the record company is hoping for more of the same. With the band speaking highly of the record and with no financial pressure we should expect The Astonishing 2.

Well I can continue to enjoy other things then lol.

There are no "other things," ONLY DREAM THEATRE!! lol

• Like 1

Not even Dream Theater?

Regarding sales, isn't one double album/cd counted as two units? For example, Pink Floyd's The Wall is certified as 23x platinum, but it sold 11,500,000 copies.

Not even Dream Theater?

You spell like a yankee.

Regarding sales, isn't one double album/cd counted as two units? For example, Pink Floyd's The Wall is certified as 23x platinum, but it sold 11,500,000 copies.

I know the cert levels are different for videos but wasn't sure of double discs, so I looked it up (on RIAA.org) - yes they are. But no count has been formally released, so we don't know (yet) whether the 'success' is artificial.

Edited by stoopid

Any thoughts on the "prog metal supergroup" that Mike Portnoy is putting together? He has Derek Sherinian with him, and rumour has it that Bumblefoot is the guitar player, but that´s yet to be confirmed. No word on who the bass player or vocalist might be yet.
  • Like 1

Any thoughts on the "prog metal supergroup" that Mike Portnoy is putting together? He has Derek Sherinian with him, and rumour has it that Bumblefoot is the guitar player, but that´s yet to be confirmed. No word on who the bass player or vocalist might be yet.

i always thought Derek got an unfair shake in DT

I personally loved his work on FII.

Mick

• Like 1

I try not to get too excited about anything MP says, because it's always the biggest news on the planet from his lips until it reaches your ears, then you're like "Uh, okay. That's nice."

• Like 1

I hope to hell he gets a singer with some balls. Devin townsend would be cool.

I love dereks solo discs. Black utopia is a good place to start.

• Like 1

Yeah, Derek is a strange case..his solo stuff after he left Dream Theater is insanely good, but the stuff he did with the band was not too technical. His tone is amazing, and I really liked the live album he and Portnoy released with Billy Sheehan and Tony Macalpine. Check out a sample:

• Like 1