Pink Floyd Dark Side Of The Moon and The Final Cut

YYZumbi

Now probably all hardcore Pink Floyd fans going to wish they could beat me up I guess. But I have something to confess.

Yesterday I was listening to Dark Side Of The Moon for the first time (on original pressing vinyl record). I have heard parts of it before (such as Money) but never listened to the whole album.

And this morning I was listening to The Final Cut for the first time (also on original pressing vinyl record). I have never heard it at all before.

And I must say that I like The Final Cut A LOT more! Its just funnier to listen to. Its better lyrics. And its happening more in the songs. And Waters voice sounds great. And the gilmour guitar solos are brilliant!

I don´t understand why The Final Cut is such a hated Pink Floyd album.

Sure, Dark Side Of The Moon is a great album. But I found it a bit to slow and nothing really that make me go like this: :o

The Final Cut did that...

• Like 1

I put Dark Side of the Moon, Wish You Were Here, and Animals in the same ballpark as Hemispheres, PeW, and MP.

I still love Rush and those 3 much more than those 3 sequential albums by Floyd though.

But I can't think of any other artist who made 3 perfect albums IN A ROW.

I put Dark Side of the Moon, Wish You Were Here, and Animals in the same ballpark as Hemispheres, PeW, and MP.

I still love Rush and those 3 much more than those 3 sequential albums by Floyd though.

Black Sabbath? Black Sabbath - Paranoid - Master Of Reality

King Crimson? In The Court Of The Crimson King - In The Wake Of Poseidon - Lizard

Led Zeppelin? Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin II - Led Zeppelin III

Marillion? Script For A Jester´s Tear - Fugazi - Misplaced Childhood

And I say Rush made perfect albums between 2112 all the way up to Moving Pictures

Black Sabbath? Black Sabbath - Paranoid - Master Of Reality

King Crimson? In The Court Of The Crimson King - In The Wake Of Poseidon - Lizard

Led Zeppelin? Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin II - Led Zeppelin III

Marillion? Script For A Jester´s Tear - Fugazi - Misplaced Childhood

And I say Rush made perfect albums between 2112 all the way up to Moving Pictures

I say Rush made perfect albums from 2112 to MP too. And no band has made that many albums THAT great in a row FOR ME.

Those Black Sabbath albums...all very good but not perfect

King Crimson...great musicians who I've never been into

Those Led Zeppelin albums...pretty close to being perfect but actually I prefer IV over I and III. If anything I'd go II-IV...but they still wouldn't be as good as the Floyd and Rush albums I mentioned

Marillion...like King Crimson, great musicians who I've never been into

Edited by JohnnyBlaze

I like The Final Cut, but I really consider it to be a Roger Waters solo album.

Rick Wright had already been fired. Gilmour's solos are amazing, as always, but they were pretty much all he was allowed to contribute. Gilmour describes recording The Final Cut as pretty much being a session player.

• Like 3

Rick Wright had already been fired. Gilmour's solos are amazing, as always, but they were pretty much all he was allowed to contribute. Gilmour describes recording The Final Cut as pretty much being a session player.

Wasn't that during recording The Wall?

Dark Side is such an all-time classic that it is cliche to point it out. It is also an album from "Pink Floyd" while they were still a real band. Roger Waters' lyrical vision, David Gilmour's fantastic soloing, Rick Wright's eloquent keys, and Nick Mason's tasteful drumming. Truly four voices coming together to create magic.

I love The Final Cut - absolutely brilliant lyrics and concept by Roger. Perhaps it is The Pink Floyd cinematic experience taken to near pinnacle levels. However, it is clearly not a band effort. Rick was no longer in the band, Nick's drums were actually tracked by others on some tunes (as they were on some of The Wall) and David only contributed a couple nice solos. I see it as a Roger Waters solo effort. Perhaps as much as I see the following "Momentary Lapse" by Pink Fraud as a Gilmour solo effort (good tunes, but seriously lacking the lyrics and vision of Roger.) Division Bell was a vast improvement, but still not classic Floyd.

If you love The Final Cut, I have to strongly recommend Roger's solo work "Amused to Death". Lyrics / concept genius, cinematic experience taken to the next level - and he got some crack players to join him, such as Jeff Beck and Jeff Porcaro. The new 5.1 mix is insane. It is one of my favorite albums of Roger Waters' career (caution: can be emotionally draining, if you get into it.)

• Like 4

If you love The Final Cut, I have to strongly recommend Roger's solo work "Amused to Death". Lyrics / concept genius, cinematic experience taken to the next level - and he got some crack players to join him, such as Jeff Beck and Jeff Porcaro. The new 5.1 mix is insane. It is one of my favorite albums of Roger Waters' career (caution: can be emotionally draining, if you get into it.)

Thank you! I will see if I can get it!

Waters made it known he wanted Wright out during The Wall recording, but Rick was allowed to do the subsequent tour. So technically (IMO, anyway), he wasn't completely out of the band until they did Final Cut.

• Like 1

Indeed. He was fired during The Wall. Hence he had been "already fired" at the time of the The Final Cut ;)

Waters made it known he wanted Wright out during The Wall recording, but Rick was allowed to do the subsequent tour. So technically (IMO, anyway), he wasn't completely out of the band until they did Final Cut.

And the funny thing is, Wright was paid as a session musician for the tour, and due to the expense of the tour (huge bricks and puppet and so forth) Wright actually earned more money from playing the tour than the other three did :LOL:

Yep, totally a solo record. I consider The Wall pretty much a solo record as well. Besides co-writing the chorus to CN, Gilmour again didn't get to add much besides a few vocals and his usual great solos. The lack of memorable keyboard work from Wright leaves both albums rather hollow IMO. The Wall at least works as a rock opera; Final Cut is just a whinefest to me. The last great BAND effort from the Waters era was Animals.

I consider TFC a solo record too. Rick was fired.......nick left or was fired too soon after. he's not even on the album's final track. Dave only showed up when needed.

still and all. AMAZING album, IMO.

Mick

I love TFC but its not a true ,Floyd album. It is however as legit as Lapse.

Half of Division Bell is great but half is utter shite. Kinda like Roll the Bones or Fear of the Dark.

i agree. I mainly don't like Lapse for the shitty production. it does have a few good tunes.

I actually really love the Division Bell......but it indeed could use trimming.

Mick

Dark Side was the first album I decided I needed to listen to twice in a row after hearing it the first time.

I have not yet heard any Floyd outside of the big four (only two of which I actually own) and Piper.

I'd be willing to see your MP and raise you a Signals and Grace Under Pressure.

DSOTM for sure. The song 'Money' is kinda of the 'Stairway To Heaven' of the band. ENOUGH.

I guess you had to be there :codger: quad-sound and all. My sister got married the same day as the 1973 Floyd show at Roosevelt Stadium NJ but the rain Gods smiled down upon me and the show was postponed so I attended the show.

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w276/custom55/IMG_0147.jpg

In 1973 / 74 every college dorm room had this poster on the wall.

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w276/custom55/floyd_poster_zpsw5dl1zpy.jpg

Edited by custom55
  • Like 3