Grunge bands clash: Nirvana or Alice in Chains?

Texas King

Nirvana VS Alice in Chains  

41 members have voted

1. 1. Nirvana VS Alice in Chains

• Nirvana
    • Alice in Chains

Earlier today I listened to Nevermind. I think it's as great today as when I first heard it in 1991 or so. Impeccably produced and sequenced. It's slick. It's guttural. It slashes. It shakes you. One of the greatest albums ever.

Agreed! Bleach, Nevermind and In Utero are three exceptional punk albums (I still prefer them as a punk band as grunge means nothing to me). In Utero is my favourite but Nevermind is definitely the most accessible and thrilling of the lot.

• Like 1

Punk rock is garage rock. Grunge is punk rock. The only difference is how fast or slow or how heavy you play.

A lot of it has a punk attitude but most of the bands are solid players with chops even if they downplay them a bit. Jerry Cantrell is a serious player and if you count STP in grunge dean Deleos chord voicing are decidedly not punk.

I listened to Dirt and Jar of Flies this morning. AiC was such a great band. I may have to revisit the two newer releases. I have them, and listened to each one once.

Check out the EP Sap.

Outstanding stuff.

• Like 1

I listened to Dirt and Jar of Flies this morning. AiC was such a great band. I may have to revisit the two newer releases. I have them, and listened to each one once.

Check out the EP Sap.

Outstanding stuff.

Layne Staley and Jerry Cantrell were like the Paul McCartney and John Lennon of grunge. Their voices together are magic. So sad.

Sap...nailed it

• Like 2

Earlier today I listened to Nevermind. I think it's as great today as when I first heard it in 1991 or so. Impeccably produced and sequenced. It's slick. It's guttural. It slashes. It shakes you. One of the greatest albums ever.

For my tastes, the one-two punch of Drain You and Lounge Act is as good as it can possibly get (the whole second side, through On a Plain, is unrelenting kickassery). Kurt Cobain could have grown into a fat old man selling real estate and Nevermind would still be one of the most heralded, influential albums ever. But whatever its influence or legacy, it's still just a fantastic, amazing album. Maybe a bit too slick (as Kurt complained) but that's just the benefit of hindsight; I never thought that when I first heard it, I just thought it was a really rare, lighting in a bottle, type of achievement. Still do. :cheers:

• Like 1

For my tastes, the one-two punch of Drain You and Lounge Act is as good as it can possibly get (the whole second side, through On a Plain, is unrelenting kickassery). Kurt Cobain could have grown into a fat old man selling real estate and Nevermind would still be one of the most heralded, influential albums ever. But whatever its influence or legacy, it's still just a fantastic, amazing album. Maybe a bit too slick (as Kurt complained) but that's just the benefit of hindsight; I never thought that when I first heard it, I just thought it was a really rare, lighting in a bottle, type of achievement. Still do. :cheers:

:yes:

Soundgarden~Pearl Jam

>

Alice In Chains

>

>

>

>

>

Nirvana

But where would we be without naked swimming infants and songs whose names sound like grungy perfumes?

Soundgarden~Pearl Jam

>

Alice In Chains

>

>

>

>

>

Nirvana

But where would we be without naked swimming infants and songs whose names sound like grungy perfumes?

I can't go through a day without a spritz of Territorial Pissings. Gorgeous scent!

• Like 1

Soundgarden~Pearl Jam

>

Alice In Chains

>

>

>

>

>

Nirvana

I can't go through a day without a spritz of Territorial Pissings. Gorgeous scent!

:LOL:

Actually not what I was referring too, but that works even better.

Nirvana. AICs is a good band but they don't have the same versatility.

Nirvana was a bit of a one trick pony, so I'm a bit confused by this statement. AIC had such diverse sounds and songs, and Nirvana was like a mashup of punk and the Beatles. They may have one of the best albums in history, but it's their only truly great album. AIC has a minimum of 3. If we add unplugged albums, both bands get 1 more.

Nirvana was a bit of a one trick pony, so I'm a bit confused by this statement. AIC had such diverse sounds and songs, and Nirvana was like a mashup of punk and the Beatles. They may have one of the best albums in history, but it's their only truly great album. AIC has a minimum of 3. If we add unplugged albums, both bands get 1 more.

Well see, I think AIC was a one trick pony. It's all personal opinion.

I'm not sure how you can listen to Dirt and Jar of Flies and think they are similar.

• Like 1

Alice In Chains by far

Absolutely.

I saw Alice In Chains open up for Ozzy Osbourne on the "No More Tears" Tour in Oakland California.

Layne was in a fuckking wheelchair with a broken leg in cast singing his ass off.

It was INCREDIBLE!

But then I saw Ozzy hit the stage with a very young Zakk Wylde and my young mind imploded into sonic ecstasy.

Long live Rock And Roll.....

I need it everyday.

Gonna Rock And Roll All Nite And Party Everyday!

You humans may hate KISS too but man, so wonderful for my own happiness.

I am a music whore.

I am blessed.

Because at the end of the day I am disease free. LOL

I'm not sure how you can listen to Dirt and Jar of Flies and think they are similar.

Let's just agree to disagree.

Nirvana is a two trick pony. "Bleach" is awesome. "Nevermind?" A corporate commercial cum shot.

Alice In Chains? Another two trick pony. "Facelift" and "Dirt."

Soundgarden?

Fuckkking GRAND SLAM!

Real fans know what I am talking about. I mean typing about.

Soundgarden~Pearl Jam

>

Alice In Chains

>

>

>

>

>

Nirvana

I prefer "Shabby Doll."

Love,

Elvis Costello

I'm seeing Elvis on June 3rd. The Greek. Playing most of "Imperial Bedroom." PUMPED!