Geddy: 'I Think I've Accepted That' RUSH Has Done Its Last Tour"

zappafrank

We haven't seen the documentary yet, but I am sure I will be heartbroken. I have been very fortunate to have seen them 4 times in the last 6 years, but I don't want it to end. If Geddy and Al do something, just the 2 of them....how will you guys feel about that?

I am on board - as long as they don't call it Rush without Neil. But I am up for it.

• Like 1

We haven't seen the documentary yet, but I am sure I will be heartbroken. I have been very fortunate to have seen them 4 times in the last 6 years, but I don't want it to end. If Geddy and Al do something, just the 2 of them....how will you guys feel about that?

I am on board - as long as they don't call it Rush without Neil. But I am up for it.

It wouldn't be the morally correct thing to do, but Rush fans always seem to forget, Rush is Lee/Lifeson. Peart joined after there was an established band.

• Like 1

It wouldn't be the morally correct thing to do, but Rush fans always seem to forget, Rush is Lee/Lifeson. Peart joined after there was an established band.

And Lee and Lifeson continued to write the majority of the music for the next 40 yrs, so what's your point. Without Peart they aren't Rush. End of.

• Like 3

Morally correct? It wouldn't be morally correct for two guys who have been playing together for almost 50 years to continue to play together? Why on earth not?

• Like 1

But Rush is the band they are because of Peart's contributions, such as his lyrics. His drumming. You cannot just write off what Peart did for that band that easily. I am all for Lee and Lifeson working again, but they will never call it Rush without Peart. They have said that.

Edited by Wil1972

Morally correct? It wouldn't be morally correct for two guys who have been playing together for almost 50 years to continue to play together? Why on earth not?

I think you might have misread me, I WANT them to continue to play together and do shows together. However, it probably wouldn't be morally correct to still call it "Rush" given their history with Neil Peart and his creative contributions.

illegal downloading cant be a motivation to do new stuff these days for already huge bands sitting on piles of money with nothing much to prove

if theres something in the tank though, shit like that hard to hold back. true artists gotta get that shit out.

honestly, wouldnt be surprised if we get another rush album within a year

Is it abrupt really? Maybe in an obsessed fan's mind.

Hasn't Neil stated a few times already that it wasn't a quick decision?

Watching the documentary, it's clear that even after the tour had started, Ray, Geddy, and Al expected a European leg and maybe a second American leg. Neil put the kibbosh on that. THAT'S how I use the term "abrupt". Whether you think Neil telegraphed his decision or not, several members of the organization weren't prepared for the apparent finality of the decision.

When it comes down to it, nobody owes anything to anyone. I'm as diehard a Rush fan as anyone. He doesn't want to work, he doesn't want to work.

Well, that's where the grey area is, isn't it? Here's what Neil said in a Modern Drummer interview published this past January:

MD: What's in the future? If Rush isn't touring, will you still record? Write prose? Be a dad?

Neil: You just answered it. There's no strict answer, but those possibilities are all there.

That sure looks like holding the door open on new music to me. And if he goes that far, perhaps he might realize that there are compromises that can be made with respect to touring, ESPECIALLY knowing that playing live means a lot to the guys who have been his friends and co-creators for the past 40 years. And that doesn't even take into consideration that his own feelings might change after he's had time to decompress a while.

If you read Neil's latest book you'll have the answer to why he answered those Modern Drummer questions like that:

Ray Daniels advised them all to avoid saying "this is the end" so this last tour wouldn't spiral into an all out farewell tour. So when they were asked about the future of Rush...everything was vague and evasive. By design.

Plus...everyone involved HOPED for a second leg and European tour but it was never a sure thing because Neil told them all before the tour started that 35 shows was all he would/could do.

They all knew prior to the start of the tour that this was the last one. All of them.

• Like 2

illegal downloading cant be a motivation to do new stuff these days for already huge bands sitting on piles of money with nothing much to prove

if theres something in the tank though, shit like that hard to hold back. true artists gotta get that shit out.

honestly, wouldnt be surprised if we get another rush album within a year

Not a Rush album. But something from Geddy and Alex, I'll bet.

In past threads you said Rush is Lee/Lifeson/Peart. But now you're saying "Rush fans always seem to forget, Rush is Lee/Lifeson." Which is it?

• Like 1

It's been almost 2 years that we knew that they could be retiring and that could be it and yet people are still fighting it. Why not be happy that we got 40+ years of touring and great music. That's more than practically any other band in the world has given us.
  • Like 6

It's been almost 2 years that we knew that they could be retiring and that could be it and yet people are still fighting it. Why not be happy that we got 40+ years of touring and great music. That's more than practically any other band in the world has given us.

And I think we can look forward to a Lee/lifeson project in the future. An album with several guest drummers would be perfect since it wouldn't be looked at as a new version of rush and they can find a lyricist. I'm curious to see what Neil can do with an actual novel too. Lots of possibilities that don't include a tour or new album.

If Geddy and Alex are playing together, I'm there regardless of who else is or isn't in the band :yes:

And you know I'll be there with you

• Like 2

And I think we can look forward to a Lee/lifeson project in the future. An album with several guest drummers would be perfect since it wouldn't be looked at as a new version of rush and they can find a lyricist. I'm curious to see what Neil can do with an actual novel too. Lots of possibilities that don't include a tour or new album.

Yes that's true. But even if they never put out any other music I'm happy for what I got. Anything else is a bonus.

• Like 2

Yes that's true. But even if they never put out any other music I'm happy for what I got. Anything else is a bonus.

Too right. I've been thinking everything was a bonus since Different Stages. I swore My Favorite Headache was the nail in the coffin.

And I like the idea of various drummers on a Lee/Lifeson project...though I'd like to see ONE drummer for 70% of those songs to see what kind of chemistry they could get going across the bulk of an album. The remaining 30%, I'd like to see various drummers.

• Like 1

Too right. I've been thinking everything was a bonus since Different Stages. I swore My Favorite Headache was the nail in the coffin.

And I like the idea of various drummers on a Lee/Lifeson project...though I'd like to see ONE drummer for 70% of those songs to see what kind of chemistry they could get going across the bulk of an album. The remaining 30%, I'd like to see various drummers.

I would like to hear music from them but honestly I think Geddys voice is shot, so hopefully instrumental or someone else singing.

• Like 1

I would like to hear music from them but honestly I think Geddys voice is shot, so hopefully instrumental or someone else singing.

I'd like to hear Geddy & Alex with Matt Cameron on drums and Chris Cornell singing even if it were for just a few songs.

• Like 3

Something low key with a percussionist and a real live keys player. Some songs where Ged can just sing and not worry about hitting the notes.

Trying to think of an apropriate contemporary keys player....maybe someone like Ethan Iverson. The Bad Three covered Tom Sawyee so I would say hes a fan. Ben Mink can play violin and some stringed instryments to round out the quintet.

Something low key with a percussionist and a real live keys player. Some songs where Ged can just sing and not worry about hitting the notes.

Trying to think of an apropriate contemporary keys player....maybe someone like Ethan Iverson. The Bad Three covered Tom Sawyee so I would say hes a fan. Ben Mink can play violin and some stringed instryments to round out the quintet.

ZzZzZzZzzzz

At this point, I think the band is likely over. We may get another album, but I'm not sure. I know they're not sure either , but I also know Neil would be likely open to that. I think Ged and Al will continue to make music and maybe Neil will have an awakening or something. I hate the people who blame it all on Neil. Be grateful for what they have given, and keep in mind that they may still give.
  • Like 2

Neil sounds like he's ready to give up drumming altogether, so I think we can forget about him playing on another album. He'd have to work to get back into shape even for that. The most Geddy and Alex will likely get from him is help with writing lyrics for some new project of theirs.
  • Like 1