The "tell somebody you love them" Thread

Tombstone Mountain

Thanks to all who mentioned me for your kindness in even thinking to mention me. It means a lot. :hug2:

I love you Lorraine...this much!

Storge (storgē, Greek: στοργή) is fondness through familiarity, especially between family members or people who have otherwise found themselves together by chance.

• Like 2

I love you--Wikipedia

Film[edit]

§Music[edit]

§Albums[edit]

§Songs[edit]

I hate you all.

Now THIS man I would LOVE to hang out with...God please make this happen in my lifetime!

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/6/62/Celebrating_gold.jpg/180px-Celebrating_gold.jpg

• Like 1

I have a feeling if I ever met Narp, I'd get this hug:

Pound hug

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/1/1c/Buck_Showalter_and_Matt_Wieters_on_August_28%2C_2011.jpg/220px-Buck_Showalter_and_Matt_Wieters_on_August_28%2C_2011.jpg

The pound hug (also referred to as a pound shake, hip-hop hug, one-armed hug, dude hug, cootie hug, homie hug, shug, hetero hug, bro-grab, bro hug, brah hug, thug hug, man-hug, or a daps) is a stylized greeting, exclusively performed between two people, that consists of a combination of a handshake and one-armed hug. Unlike the traditional hug, which symbolically and effectively removes interpersonal barriers and unites the two persons embracing, the pound hug—performed by keeping the right hand locked in handshake while the left arm wraps around the other's shoulder—interposes the obstacle of the two right arms to the joining of the two bodies. The origin of this hug is not clear.

Cultural aspects[edit]

Greetings will vary from culture to culture.

Mark Anthony Neal, Duke University professor of black popular culture, states that when with men, he'll use a certain kind of hug – as long as the other guy also is black. "If I was greeting a white guy, I would probably never go for the hug, it would always immediately be the handshake," says Neal. "In the case of Black males, particularly around my age, 40, it's the hip-hop hug: a handshake, you pull yourselves together, and you bump."

Dynamics[edit]

Machismo[edit]

The main point of this hug is to assert one's masculinity, claims Kory Floyd of Arizona State University. He is led to this conclusion by what he calls the "A-frame" configuration of the hug: the bodies do not touch except at the shoulders, which only touch briefly, as another of the characteristics of the hip-hop hug is its brevity, usually lasting for a second or less. This hug is generally not used in environments which are seen to intrinsically validate one's masculinity, such as sports, where traditional full-body bear hugs are common.

Edited by Tombstone Mountain
  • Like 1

As we read here, the "secret touch" isn't just from the perv down the street:

Haptic communication

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/a/a4/Text_document_with_red_question_mark.svg/40px-Text_document_with_red_question_mark.svg.png

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/1/1b/Laughter_by_David_Shankbone.jpg/220px-Laughter_by_David_Shankbone.jpg

A boy laughing as he is tickled

Haptic communication refers to the ways in which people and other animals communicate and interact via the sense of touch. As well as providing information about surfaces and textures, touch, or the haptic sense, is a component of communication in interpersonal relationships that is nonverbal and nonvisual. Touch is extremely important for humans and is vital in conveying physical intimacy.

Touch can be categorized in terms of meaning as positive, playful, control, ritualistic, task-related or unintentional. It can be both sexual (kissing is one such example that is sometimes sexual) and platonic (such as hugging or tickling). Touch is the earliest sense to develop in the fetus. The development of an infant's haptic senses and how it relates to the development of the other senses such as vision has been the target of much research. Human babies have been observed to have enormous difficulty surviving if they do not possess a sense of touch, even if they retain sight and hearing. Babies who can perceive through touch, even without sight and hearing, tend to fare much better.

In chimpanzees the sense of touch is highly developed. As newborns they see and hear poorly but cling strongly to their mothers. Harry Harlow conducted a controversial study involving rhesus monkeys and observed that monkeys reared with a "terry cloth mother", a wire feeding apparatus wrapped in softer terry cloth which provided a level of tactile stimulation and comfort, were considerably more emotionally stable as adults than those with a mere wire mother.[1] Touching is treated differently from one country to another. Socially acceptable levels of touching varies from one culture to another. In the Thai culture, touching someone's head may be considered to be rude. Remland and Jones (1995) studied groups of people communicating and found that in England (8%), France (5%) and the Netherlands (4%), touching was rare compared to the Italian (14%) and Greek (12.5%) sample.[2]

Striking, pushing, pulling, pinching, kicking, strangling and hand-to-hand fighting are forms of touch in the context of physical abuse. In a sentence like "I never touched him/her" or "Don't you dare to touch him/her" the term touch may be meant as euphemism for either physical abuse or sexual touching. To 'touch oneself' is a euphemism for masturbation. The word touch has many other metaphorical uses. One can be emotionally touched, referring to an action or object that evokes an emotional response. To say "I was touched by your letter" implies the reader felt a strong emotion when reading it. It usually does not include anger, disgust or other forms of emotional rejection unless used in a sarcastic manner. Stoeltje (2003) wrote about how Americans are ‘losing touch’ with this important communication skill. During a study conducted by University of Miami School of Medicine, Touch Research Institutes, American children were said to be more aggressive than their French counterparts while playing at a playground. It was noted that French women touched their children more often than the American parents.[citation needed]

Now for Lorraine or x1yyx, or probably any other female on the forum, this hug would be in order:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/4/42/Side_hug.jpg/170px-Side_hug.jpg

I'll try... :LOL:

With a rack like that who knows
  • Like 1

Now for Lorraine or x1yyx, or probably any other female on the forum, this hug would be in order:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/4/42/Side_hug.jpg/170px-Side_hug.jpg

I'll try... :LOL:

With a rack like that who knows

:rfl: LMAO. Mick at the beginning of the day and now you towards the end. Thanks guys. This adds years to my life... :codger:
  • Like 1

I need to give extra mention to LiX even though I already mentioned him. Here's to hoping that the Bears actually make the NFC North competitive this fall and shit on the Packers :moon:

And I can't forget LedRush. Counterparts for the win! :madra:

• Like 1

Love's Categories

minus EROS

Storge (storgē, Greek: στοργή) is fondness through familiarity, especially between family members or people who have otherwise found themselves together by chance.

Philia (philía, Greek: φιλίa) is brotherly love, also the love between friends who are "like brothers. " Philia is the Greek word for "brother".the Friendship is the strong bond existing between people who share common interest or activity

Charity (agápē, Greek: ἀγάπη) is the love that brings forth caring regardless of the circumstance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhrBDcQq2DM

something I know nothing aboot

I think you just wanted another excuse to say "aboot" again.

I do admit it hasn’t gotten old yet. ;)

Yes it has :(

Let me expand on that -- you may not realize it, but you are making fun of the way people speak by always saying that.

I've said a few times it is just a light hearted way to show solidarity and "love" to my Canadian brethren, for my favorite Canadian export. I may run a poll to find out if they feel offended and stop the practice. Although they may be too polite to admit it. ;)

Edited by JohnRogers

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m6ixftgCaL1r41unfo1_500.gif

I love Rod In Rio. Rod I love you Holmes!

The first time he ever responded to a Yukon Blade Grinder he gave me this to contemplate

• Like 1

Glad you liked it...I worked hard to find that gif!

http://38.media.tumblr.com/9c72b89742c280900a34be5116a4994a/tumblr_nk8jc0S1X41r41unfo1_500.gif

This is both mesmerizing and disturbing!

• Like 2