16 Setlist mainstays- How many make the R40 Cut?

Poll : The Hits: How many make the cut?   

54 members have voted

1. 1. How many of the 16 songs below make the R40 setlist?

• 14-16
    • 10-13
    • 6-9
    • 1-5

Is New World Man that predictably there? Hmmm.

No, it as only been played on one tour since it was dropped in the middle of the Power Windows Tour in 1986.

And while we're talking about "mainstays," where are YYZ and Dreamline?

It seems we aren't talking about mainstays, but a combination of mainstays and some old hits the OP think will be brought back.

The Garden will probably be in the set-list

Geddy loves that song, talking about it even in recent interviews. I'd bet it'll be in there.

• Like 1

The ones we will see for certain are pretty easy:

Spirit of Radio

Tom Sawyer

Some sort of 2112 version.

Limelight

Personally, I think the rest could be anything. Sometimes they skip Red Barchetta, FreeWill, etc. Ya just never know.

Really, the only two absolute guarantees, I'd wager, are Tom Sawyer and Spirit of Radio.

I would add YYZ to the 'definite' list.

Also, Limelight was not played at a bunch of CA shows and 2112 was absent on the first leg of S&A. not saying i don't think they're likely...but they have been skipped even relatively recently.

Right, I forgot about the occasional omitting of Limelight on the CA tour.

And yeah, YYZ is every show, you're right of course.

Tom Sawyer, YYZ, and Spirit of Radio. When was the last show that any one of these three tracks was NOT played? Anybody know?

Spirit of Radio

Tom Sawyer

Limelight

Personally, I think the rest could be anything. Sometimes they skip Red Barchetta, FreeWill, etc. Ya just never know.

Really, the only two absolute guarantees, I'd wager, are Tom Sawyer and Spirit of Radio.

Also, Limelight was not played at a bunch of CA shows and 2112 was absent on the first leg of S&A. not saying i don't think they're likely...but they have been skipped even relatively recently.

Tom Sawyer, YYZ, and Spirit of Radio. When was the last show that any one of these three tracks was NOT played? Anybody know?

YYZ not on the Roll the Bones tour.

First one third of the Presto tour did not have Spirit of Radio.

Tom Sawyer has been on every tour

Spirit of Radio

Tom Sawyer

Limelight

All three have been featured in every show since the Counterparts Tour, with the exception of a couple omissions of TSoR early on in the Clockwork Angels Tour.

I get 12:

Spirit of Radio

Freewill

Tom Sawyer

2112 Overture

2112 Temples of Syrinx

The Trees

Subdivisions

Closer to the Heart

La Villa Strangiato

Red Barchetta

Working Man

Limelight

New World Man hasn't been done since VT, Grand Finale finally came back on CA after 15 years out and will probably go back on the shelf. Dreamline is far more of a mainstay than RTB. Time Stand Still got let out of the closet for TM and was promptly shoved back in.

Take out Time,closer,villa, barchetta, working, roll the bones and you got a solid bet

i have been working on it for the last 2 months, It will look like R30 with a new medley 3 drum solos no feedback tunes and a couple of vault cuts like Jacobs and Distant E W

I get 12:

Spirit of Radio

Freewill

Tom Sawyer

2112 Overture

2112 Temples of Syrinx

The Trees

Subdivisions

Closer to the Heart

La Villa Strangiato

Red Barchetta

Working Man

Limelight

New World Man hasn't been done since VT, Grand Finale finally came back on CA after 15 years out and will probably go back on the shelf. Dreamline is far more of a mainstay than RTB. Time Stand Still got let out of the closet for TM and was promptly shoved back in.

The last time Grand Finale was played before the CA tour was on R30.

• Like 1

The following songs have been performed on at least 3 of the last 5 tours (VT, R30, S&A, TM & CA):

Limelight 5 Overture 5 Temples of Syrinx 5 The Spirit of Radio 5 Tom Sawyer 5 YYZ 5 Dreamline 4 Subdivisions 4 Working Man 4 Bravado 3 Far Cry 3 Freewill 3 La Villa Strangiato 3 One Little Victory 3 Red Barchetta 3 Red Sector A 3 Secret Touch 3 The Trees 3

Edited by Justin Case
  • Like 1

Spirit of Radio-- Yes

New World Man--possibly

Freewill---maybe

Tom Sawyer--Yes

2112 Overture--Probably

2112 Temples of Syrinx--goes with the above

2112 Grand Finale--potentially

The Trees---yes

Subdivisions---probably

Time Stands Still---God I hope not!

Closer to the Heart---maybe

La Villa Strangiato---hopefully

Red Barchetta---Yes

Working Man---mebbe

Roll the Bones---GOD I FREAKING HOPE NOT!

Limelight---Yes

• Like 1

10 will make it in:

Sub

Limelight

Sawyer

Trees will return

LVS

Barchetta will return

Spirit

Overture

Syrinx

Working man (unfortunately, dont need to hear this again)

The Trees is a real wild card. Hard to go either way on it

I think The Big Money and Distant Early Warning are better contenders for this list considering that while New World man was dropped after three tours, only to be brought back one more time, while The Big Money and Distant Early warning have rotated in and out of tours fairly consistently. I am not saying that New World Man is out of the question for the tour (I think it would be good to hear). I just don't think its a tour given.

New World Man and Time Stand Still haven't been played that much. 316 times and 382 times respectively. By comparison YYZ has been played 1050 times and Distant Early Warning 518. Also, Dreamline 495 vs RTB 348.

Still, I wouldn't be surprised to see New World Man included for R40 but only because they want to play it, not because it's a staple.

A few people mentioned Distant Early Warning. That has been more regular than New World Man or Time Stand Still through the years. Since they haven't done it for the last couple of tours, I can certainly see it returning this year. The song got a great reaction from the crowd the times i've seen them play it.