The Mount Rushmore of ROCK Drumming

ReRushed

I think Densmore needs to be in your sig.

I thought about him, for sure. You don't hear him mentioned a lot, but he and Kreider were extremely talented musicians, critical to the Doors' sound. Does he fit as a purely rock drummer?

Bill Bruford is another one that should be there. Buddy Rich is played jazz, but was rock and roll in his approach. Gene Krupa as well, but to a lesser degree. So...I'll take a narrow approach.

I thought about Peter Criss and Bun E. Carlos, for their entertainment value, but the chops on their published recordings don't quite rise to a monumental level for me.

I smell some Ginger in here. :smoke:

Goose has recently some awesome folks in his signature.

I thought about Baker, as he's inspired many a drummer, Peart included. It's just that Cream's music is like opera for me. I know I should like it...but despite trying hard...I just don't.

I'll hrow Roger taylor into the mix for his distinctive and eaily recognizable sound. That's part of it for me...technical chops are one thing, but a drummer's style and sound have to stand out to make the monument. Steve Gadd and Jeff Porcaro made my sig...but might not fit the deifnition I just offered. Bill Ward does, and I may have to add him.

ETA: Done! As I look at my new sign, I really like that smiling Jeff Porcaro. Smack dab in the middle...a decidedly un-ROCK looking guy that makes just about everyone's all-time greats list. Gives guys like me hope.

Edited by goose
  • Like 2

This is an amazing thread!!

It's so easy!!

Neil Peart

Simon Phillips

Buddy Rich

Stewart Copeland

Dave Weckl

Carey is great but boring.

Tim Alexander is better

Brian Downey is better than Carey

Phil Collins and Chester Thompson

Billy Cobham

Terry Bozzio

Jeff Porcaro

Gene Krupa

Louie Bellson

Max Roach

Gavin Harrison

Mark Brzezicki

Big Country

Pete Townshend

Love the shameless postwhoring! Especially with naming all those jazz drummers in a thread where the OP put the word "ROCK" in all CAPS. :ebert:

(Just messing with you, Earl. :D)

• Like 4

ROCK Drummers

Starr

Moon

Bonham

Peart

Starr...a perfect fit for the Beatles, but...I've never heard a drummer say he took up the drums because of him.

ETA: Is Starr the perfect pop drummer, maybe?

Edited by goose

ROCK Drummers

Starr

Moon

Bonham

Peart

Starr...a perfect fit for the Beatles, but...I've never heard a drummer say he took up the drums because of him.

ETA: Is Starr the perfect pop drummer, maybe?

I agree about Ringo and The Beatles... The same with Moon, he would be a tough fit for a band besides The Who.

• Like 1

I believe the problem with Ringo Starr is that after the Beatles broke up he basically stopped being a drummer. Without the material that Lennon, McCartney and Harrison provided, Ringo never challenged his talent as a drummer.
  • Like 1

I smell some Ginger in here. :smoke:

Goose has recently some awesome folks in his signature.

I thought about Baker, as he's inspired many a drummer, Peart included. It's just that Cream's music is like opera for me. I know I should like it...but despite trying hard...I just don't.

don't feel bad. I like cream a lot, but I think all you really need from them is a best-of compilation. their studio albums are kinda inconsistent.

• Like 1