Headlong Flight

iluvgeddy05

From Sniglets over at CP:

"Sorry I have been unable to post on here as I have been busy with work. Listening party happened a bit later than scheduled yesterday as it was more after 1 pm. I wasn't there but my friend was and he said if you would have wanted Rush albums in the 80s to have a harder edge then this is your record. The songs are like a winding journey and definitely has a more modern day concept feel to them. Keyboards are present on the record so if you loathe them, sorry! He didn't compare it to any particular album and that was a relief. He said just take 80 to 91 in a blender and that was it. Single should be out on or about April 1st. It is being sent to radio this weekend. My guess is this one doesn't leak. More as I hear more. It was basically a text conversation about it and I haven't had really the time to get in touch with him as he has other assignments"

http://www.rushmessageboard.com/cpmb/index...ic=44104&st=100

• Replies 472
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (savagegrace26 @ Mar 28 2012, 04:54 PM)
QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Mar 28 2012, 03:51 PM)
From RIAB:

UPDATE - 3/28@4:48PM: I have also received information that Headlong First will indeed be the first single and that a 5.5-minute edit will be hitting radio on April 19th. The listening party did indeed take place yesterday, and Roadrunner is keeping a very tight lid on the track, so it's unlikely that it will leak. Although there's a possibility we'll get to hear a sample online sometime before the radio release.

Why does everyone keep referring to this as the "first" single?

laugh.gif

The first (2012) single!

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Mar 28 2012, 04:51 PM)
From RIAB:

UPDATE - 3/28@4:48PM: I have also received information that Headlong First will indeed be the first single and that a 5.5-minute edit will be hitting radio on April 19th. The listening party did indeed take place yesterday, and Roadrunner is keeping a very tight lid on the track, so it's unlikely that it will leak. Although there's a possibility we'll get to hear a sample online sometime before the radio release.

I'm excited but why can't they release the whole thing? Its not like they're going to have a top 20 hit.

QUOTE (savagegrace26 @ Mar 28 2012, 03:54 PM)
From RIAB:

They're just doing it to piss you off.

From RIAB:

Oh.. I almost forgot about Caravan and BU2B... almost two years ago..

QUOTE (Rush-O-Matic @ Mar 28 2012, 03:59 PM)
From RIAB:

They're just doing it to piss you off.

Maybe it's the first track on the album??

QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Mar 28 2012, 03:59 PM)
QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Mar 28 2012, 04:51 PM)
From RIAB:

I'm excited but why can't they release the whole thing? Its not like they're going to have a top 20 hit.

Lol

QUOTE (presto123 @ Mar 28 2012, 03:07 PM)
QUOTE (Lost In Xanadu @ Mar 28 2012, 03:05 PM)
QUOTE (presto123 @ Mar 28 2012, 02:52 PM)
The last guy on twitter said"Rush at their finest" and "I haven't had goosebumps like this in years" . Now I an totally pumped. This is going to blow SnA out of the water. And 7 and a half minutes long to boot. 653.gif

I dunno - could have just been a fanboi laugh.gif

Well....that's two fanboi's now that have said awesome. Maybe Roadrunner is paying them off tongue.gif

This other tweet from Dominic Nardella ‏@nardboy

On a conference call... but all I can focus on is the Rush song I just heard.

His twitter page is a Rush background and his quote is a lyric from "Caravan." I wouldn't really call him an unbiased industry professional.

It probably still kicks ass though.

QUOTE (iluvgeddy05 @ Mar 28 2012, 12:47 PM)
QUOTE (rummut71 @ Mar 28 2012, 02:46 PM)
We need some more threads about this...

I know, so I started one wink.gif drool1.gif

laugh.gif It's no better on facebook. I've read it like 30 times now from 30 different people tongue.gif

I'm pumped!

Edited by nobodys hero

QUOTE (eshine @ Mar 28 2012, 03:58 PM)

"Sorry I have been unable to post on here as I have been busy with work. Listening party happened a bit later than scheduled yesterday as it was more after 1 pm. I wasn't there but my friend was and he said if you would have wanted Rush albums in the 80s to have a harder edge then this is your record. The songs are like a winding journey and definitely has a more modern day concept feel to them. Keyboards are present on the record so if you loathe them, sorry! He didn't compare it to any particular album and that was a relief. He said just take 80 to 91 in a blender and that was it. Single should be out on or about April 1st. It is being sent to radio this weekend. My guess is this one doesn't leak. More as I hear more. It was basically a text conversation about it and I haven't had really the time to get in touch with him as he has other assignments"

OMG!!!! 80-91 or so is my absolute fav Rush period and the more keys the better. I am beyond excited now. Imagine GUP or PoW with a harder edge and more progressive. This might be the Rush record I've been wanting them to make since the mid 80's. 653.gif

From RIAB:

That is great that the single is so long they have to edit it down. 1022.gif

QUOTE (presto123 @ Mar 28 2012, 04:24 PM)
From RIAB:

/Debbie Downer/ Could also mean that none of the rest of the songs are worth releasing and could only find 5 acceptable minutes from the one.

QUOTE (Rush-O-Matic @ Mar 28 2012, 03:26 PM)
From RIAB:

/Debbie Downer/ Could also mean that none of the rest of the songs are worth releasing and could only find 5 acceptable minutes from the one.

No. I just think it means they really dig this track but they know that radio won't touch anything that's 7.5 minutes long.

QUOTE (Rush-O-Matic @ Mar 28 2012, 04:26 PM)
From RIAB:

What? We've already heard that almost every track is long so you can't send 6-7 minute tracks to radio.

QUOTE (presto123 @ Mar 28 2012, 05:20 PM)

OMG!!!! 80-91 or so is my absolute fav Rush period and the more keys the better. I am beyond excited now. Imagine GUP or PoW with a harder edge and more progressive. This might be the Rush record I've been wanting them to make since the mid 80's. 653.gif

http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n269/FUNTASTIC4BATMAN/backflip-icon.gifhttp://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n269/FUNTASTIC4BATMAN/backflip-icon.gifhttp://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n269/FUNTASTIC4BATMAN/backflip-icon.gifhttp://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n269/FUNTASTIC4BATMAN/backflip-icon.gif

Yay! Me too! (Yes, that's a piece of toast doing a backflip).

QUOTE (presto123 @ Mar 28 2012, 04:20 PM)

Great post and totally agree!! 2112 is my favorite Rush album (by far) but the 80-91 period is, on balance, my favorite. The post 91 period includes RTB which is not all that great and VT which, as I have said elsewhere, I try to like but just can't. At all. In fact, by Rush standards I hate it. It also has T4E which I mostly like except for Dog Years which is the single worst song in the Rush catalog. Not even close.

The pre 1980 stuff is wonderful but unfortunately it also includes CoS which has 2 very long songs I don't like at all and ST. ST has Working Man but other than that great song it does not have a lot. The pre 1980 period has a lot of good stuff - don't take me wrong, I really, really like it (all of FBN, 2112, AFTK, Hemispheres). Just the 80-91 period has constancy which is hard to beat.

80-91 in a blender!! tongue.gif biggrin.gif yes.gif Sounds great!! Got to admit I have approached this album with some concern because I have not been blown away by Caravan and BU2B. Both reminded me of VT which, by Rush standards, I hate. Now I am really worked up. smile.gif

Can't wait!!

2.gif rules!!

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Mar 28 2012, 04:32 PM)
From RIAB:

No. I just think it means they really dig this track but they know that radio won't touch anything that's 7.5 minutes long.

Hey Jude - Beatles

War Pigs/Luke's Wall - Black Sabbath

Station to Station - David Bowie

Layla - Darek and the Dominos

The End - Doors

Jesus of Suburbia - Green Day

In-a-Gadda-da-Vida - Iron Butterfly

Scenes From an Italian Restaurant - Billy Joel

Funeral For a Friend - Elton John

In the Court of the Crimson King - King Crimson

When the Levee Breaks - Led Zeppelin

Free Bird - Lynyrd Skynyrd

One - Metallica

Champagne Supernova - Oasis

Sheep - Pink Floyd

Purple Rain - Prince

Can't You Hear Me Knockin' - Rolling Stones

Jungleland - Bruce Springsteen

Won't Get Fooled Again - Who

Starship Trooper - Yes

just to name a few biggrin.gif I bet the cool stations play the album cut biggrin.gif biggrin.gif cool.gif

QUOTE (HemispheresserehpsimeH @ Mar 28 2012, 05:07 PM)
I'm pretty pumped, but I don't like that it'll be edited. That's a whole two minute drop from the total length of it (apparently). I'm dying to hear it, but at the same time, I may just wait until the whole song is out there somewhere so I can hear it all.

I know. I want to hear the whole thing. I will still listen to anything though laugh.gif

QUOTE (presto123 @ Mar 28 2012, 05:08 PM)
QUOTE (HemispheresserehpsimeH @ Mar 28 2012, 05:07 PM)
I'm pretty pumped, but I don't like that it'll be edited. That's a whole two minute drop from the total length of it (apparently). I'm dying to hear it, but at the same time, I may just wait until the whole song is out there somewhere so I can hear it all.

I know. I want to hear the whole thing. I will still listen to anything though laugh.gif

As long as it's not edited on the album I'm not too bothered...

trink38.gif

QUOTE (Lerxster @ Mar 28 2012, 03:59 PM)
QUOTE (danielmclark @ Mar 28 2012, 04:32 PM)
From RIAB:

Hey Jude - Beatles

War Pigs/Luke's Wall - Black Sabbath

Station to Station - David Bowie

Layla - Darek and the Dominos

The End - Doors

Jesus of Suburbia - Green Day

In-a-Gadda-da-Vida - Iron Butterfly

Scenes From an Italian Restaurant - Billy Joel

Funeral For a Friend - Elton John

In the Court of the Crimson King - King Crimson

When the Levee Breaks - Led Zeppelin

Free Bird - Lynyrd Skynyrd

One - Metallica

Champagne Supernova - Oasis

Sheep - Pink Floyd

Purple Rain - Prince

Can't You Hear Me Knockin' - Rolling Stones

Jungleland - Bruce Springsteen

Won't Get Fooled Again - Who

Starship Trooper - Yes

just to name a few biggrin.gif I bet the cool stations play the album cut biggrin.gif biggrin.gif cool.gif

There are a few exceptions, yes. But Metallica's One got a radio edit for length, as did a few others there I'd wager.

If Rush is looking for some real radio play this time around, they're not going to make it harder on themselves trying to fight for 7.5 minutes. They don't have that kind of clout.

Radio's a near-dead medium anyway. I say screw radio, and just GIVE US THE SINGLE!!!