What are you reading?

Jack Aubrey

Do you guys read actual physical books or kindle?

I read physical books. I tried a Kindle but didn't care for it; I like the feel of actual books, plus they look good on a bookshelf.

Edited by x1yyz
  • Like 3

Both. But 90% of the time I read books. I will never NOT prefer books.

Kindle and other options I use ONLY for travelling with an engrossing, but massive, read.

• Like 1

Yep, I'm a sucker for physical books, too. I feel like the tactile element greatly enhances my experience of reading, but then again I love paper in general! :yes:

• Like 5

I vastly prefer to read physical books. Besides, I find digital versions to be more expensive in the long run rather than physical copies.

I have finished the Coolidge biography, now I am about to begin volume 1 of Stephen Ambrose's biography on Dwight D. Eisenhower.

• Like 3

I vastly prefer to read physical books. Besides, I find digital versions to be more expensive in the long run rather than physical copies.

I have finished the Coolidge biography, now I am about to begin volume 1 of Stephen Ambrose's biography on Dwight D. Eisenhower.

You can spend a fortune on digital books but they are not worth anything when the battery goes flat!

• Like 1

I don't have any e-reader, and I've never read a book that wasn't an actual, physical book.

I've also never 'listened' to a book.

• Like 5

My husband and son have Kindles and love them. I love that they are reading, but I don't get the Kindle thing. I like physical books so much more; they are just a lot easier for me, our library has a shelf of free paperbacks that you can leave one or take one if you are going on a trip or something and I like that.

I like books on CD for a long trip though- something that is not too deep like Bill Bryson travel stories or Dick Francis mysteries pass the time well . . .

Polaris, I like when you post what biographies you are reading! I love biographies and mysteries and I'm always looking for something new. My husband loved something, I think it was "Undaunted Courage", that Ambrose wrote about Lewis and Clark, but I didn't know he had written about Eisenhower. I'm going to look for that series. :)

•  

• Like 1

I'd recommend buying the entire two-volume Eisenhower biography by Amrose rather than a 600-700 page single volume that he released in the '90s. The reviews I read claim that the two volumes provide a broader view and better writing. Edited by Polaris
  • Like 1

Sometimes I prefer ebooks for epic fantasy when I have to travel and want to keep my bag light.

I don't have any e-reader, and I've never read a book that wasn't an actual, physical book.

I've also never 'listened' to a book.

The only book I've ever listened to was Pure Drivel by Steve Martin.

Brilliant. Think it should be heard as well as read.

http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1428986082l/412732.jpg

My beloved Kerouac! I hope this treats you well :)

Really? Ive tried many times but in the end he leaves me cold.

Oh man! Kerouac is among my very favourites. For me, his work is very much alive. I'm interested to hear which of his works you've tried :)

• Like 1

On the Road

Subterraneans

Dharma Bums I quite liked actually. They started out on the backstreets if Berkeley I actually once tread and went on to Yosemite a path I have also often tread.

I alao really like his kaikus, or his interpretations of them at least.

Edited by Digital Dad
  • Like 3

On the Road

Subterraneans

Dharma Bums I quite liked actually. They started out on the backstreets if Berkeley I actually once tread and went on to Yosemite a path I have also often tread.

Well I'm glad that you've found some material to appreciate, at least! I think that he's brilliant; from your list, The Dharma Bums and On the Road in particular strike me as effectively showcasing his brilliance. .

Do you enjoy any of the Beat authors/poets?

Now reading Renegade's Magic by Robin Hobb, the final book in this trilogy. It's as slow as the others, but the books aren't so awful that I won't finish them.

On the Road

Subterraneans

I alao really like his haikus, or his interpretations of them at least.

Maggie Cassidy is another great one, in my opinion.

• Like 1

On the Road

Subterraneans

Well I'm glad that you've found some material to appreciate, at least! I think that he's brilliant; from your list, The Dharma Bums and On the Road in particular strike me as effectively showcasing his brilliance. .

Do you enjoy any of the Beat authors/poets?

William Burroughs is the only one of the lot of them who I've never really enjoyed. But anyway...I have my sister to thank for exposing me to the whole Beat movement, back when I was a teenager.

Lawrence Ferlinghetti I love just much as I do Ginsberg.

And Kerouac I've always seen as a breed apart from any of the others. Not necessarily saying that he's the king of all of them, no. But he's just...such a different animal from all the rest of them.

• Like 1

On the Road

Subterraneans

I alao really like his haikus, or his interpretations of them at least.

Maggie Cassidy is another great one, in my opinion.

Big Sur, too! :yes:

I think I need to go on an Asimov binge...

Whenever I do I start with the Foundation books. Only the first three (although as I type I think there are only three?).